Typically - do you take a FULL practice swing before every shot ?

Callawaygolfpro

Reaction score
We have all watched enough golf to know that the game is too slow. I'm sure we have all played a recreational round with a guy who treats it like he's in the final round of the Masters with the lead. I know I've screamed in my head saying, "Come on Sergio, hit the ball!" This isn't a thread about the pace of play just simply...

How many practice swings is too many?

Personally, it's how many I need to get comfortable. It's normally not many though.

I honestly don't care how slow you are. If you need to take the extra 15 seconds to become comfortable, take it.

Depends I guess. Are we talking full-on set and swing? Are they being done when others are hitting? I like the swing the club back and forth a couple times, but I'm not getting in my address position, waiting, swinging, etc, and I'm not a slow player (THP event verified!).

maybe one...then a few waggles at address and swing away

I try not to care. Everyone has a different pre-shot routine. Anything over 3-4 IMO is a lot, but whatever the dude needs to do to get prepared. Everyone approachs it differently.

I for one don't take practice swings. I just step up and hit it.

Majority of the time None. Prefer to just get up and hit it. (driver to 9iron)

The only time I would do a practice swing is the case of a punch, chip, or pitch that needs some finesse.

With the wedges I just swing a few times quickly to get a feel for the lie/turf interaction.

Other than that, hardly ever take a practice swing. Mainly just a few waggles and I'm off.

If I'm taking practice swings, I'm in trouble. It means I don't feel right over the ball, and have no confidence I'll put a good swing on it. I could stand there and take 10 practice swings, it's just going to feel worse.

I'm more of a "see the shot, hit the shot" player. Even on delicate chips and pitches.

For me, one is usually enough, two if the first one didn't feel right, then step behind the ball, line up and hit it. Probably a total of around 10 - 15 seconds from first practice swing to ball launch.

What is too much? Anything more than three in my opinion, or if you take more than 30 seconds to hit the ball once you've picked your club and stepped up to the ball.

Usually for short game I take a couple swings and get a feel for the club. Most of the time when teeing off I just grip and rip.

I usually take one unless it's one that feels crappy so two at most but 1 majority of the time

Amphibians can Tapatalk... Fear the Frog!

For me, one is usually enough, two if the first one didn't feel right, then step behind the ball, line up and hit it. Probably a total of around 10 - 15 seconds from first practice swing to ball launch.

This is usually me right here.

I take enough to feel comfortable. I like to try and play as many holes as I can when I'm out, so as few as possible for me. When I see people take a ton of practice swings, I just can't help but see energy being wasted and usually their final swing isn't as good as their 2nd or 3rd practice swing. When you play a round of golf in the 80s and take 5 practice swings on all shots not on the green (I'm basing this off one buddy that does this), that's over 200 swings. That means you ain't going 36 that day.

One is best for me, maybe two if I'm in a tournament.

Normally just one, but will tke a second at times if struggling to find the position I'm looking for.

On the tee box, usually none, unless I'm trying to play a low shot into the wind. From anywhere else, it depends. I didn't used to take more than two, unless it was a super funky lie, like wicked high rough. But, since someone is helping me to change my swing, sometimes it can be 4 or 5, depending on how comfortable the practice swing feels. Once I get one in that feels right, I will pull the trigger. But, that doesn't mean that the actual swing will be annything like the practice swing.

I'll take 2-3 if it's a lie that is not even close to flat. Flat lies I just aim and swing. If a guy is taking 5-10 swings every time, I'm gonna let it go because that is his routine, but I feel that is a bit much.

I'll take 1 or 2 half swings but no full speed practice swings

It will always depend of the situation, am I waiting for the group in front or for a partner to play, or if i have a funky lie, i might take a few. But on a normal day, I will take 1 practice swing, and maybe a second if I didnt like the first one, but thats it.

Zero
None
Never unless sitting waiting on a group

I dont care how many someone takes as long as they are keeping up with the pace of play. Ready golf cures that. Practice swings take less time than "guy on green thinks reading the green takes 2 full minutes".

Usually just a half hearted swing through before address. Very rarely do I take a swing at address. Couple waggles, a grip check and we're off!

Lots of great answers. I find myself taking practice swings for chip shots or shots out of a sketchy lie. On full swings, in the fairway or a great lie, I might take one, might not. Usually as the round wears on I don't take practice swings...unless I'm waiting on a playing partner or the group in front is slowing things down...but then it's almost more of a time-killer than a true practice swing.

I have no set amount of practice swings. Early in the round maybe two or three. But that cab vary between full swings to right hip club raise to something from the top to the right hip.
It's about positions for me and something I can mimick in my real swing

Honestly it depends on the club. Normally 1, possibly a second if that first practice swing didn't feel right. If it is a club that I haven't hit all round, I have no problems make 2-3 swings with it, just get a good feel.

Generally I take one full slow swing just to feel the club drop into the slot and the weight shift through the impact zone. Two waggles over the ball and fire. I have played with a few guys in my league who take three to four simulated shots where they hold there finish as if watching the ball land. I get the imagery they are going for but it makes for a very long round when it is over every shot and I think if you are taking that many intentional practice swings, you have a lot of swing thoughts going through your head which is never good.

Back