Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

I can understand that. I'm really interested in trying the Tour V as the weight will be pretty similar to the PXi shafts that I'm playing right now. I can't wait to do an iron fitting next spring, going to go in with an open mind but these irons intrigue the heck out of me.

I should have Apex with Tour Vs with me in HHI.

Its a great combo.

Looking good adam

Thank you Mr. Mike Dean.

Forgot the pic of the matching grips. Indoor league starts Monday and I'm finally over my pneumonia and vertigo. Time to tee it high and let it fly!

I'll try to post my meaningless indoor results. I did have a lesson today and my instructor said I was hitting the ball better than he's ever seen. I was worried about the thicker top line on the short irons but once you make impact you completely forget about it. Love the finish, love the weight and love how they play. Now, if the weather would only do what it did last year around here and spike up to 60 the first week of January, I'll be in business.

And, awesome write ups by everyone who's purchased these clubs. I love seeing the positive results these clubs have provided for most.

ybatu5ur.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I held these in hand for the first time and they sure do look sleek. There was more mass there than I anticipated but it has such nice lines that it is very well hidden. Very similar in size to the AP1 I was holding next to it, although the AP1 had a little less offset by the looks of it.
I think I loved everything about it except the offset and I expect I'll like the Apex Pro looks a bit more although the Apex are probably better for me.

I held these in hand for the first time and they sure do look sleek. There was more mass there than I anticipated but it has such nice lines that it is very well hidden. Very similar in size to the AP1 I was holding next to it, although the AP1 had a little less offset by the looks of it.
I think I loved everything about it except the offset and I expect I'll like the Apex Pro looks a bit more although the Apex are probably better for me.

Once you hit them you forget what the head looks like. These are also comparable to the MP54 is looks too. Top line is a pinch larger with the Apex, however.

Once you hit them you forget what the head looks like. These are also comparable to the MP54 is looks too. Top line is a pinch larger with the Apex, however.

Oh man. Heck yes. Wow they are super soft with a hot feel. I know that makes no sense at all, but one you hit them you'll agree.

Being a lefty I haven't had a chance to see or hit the Apex irons yet . I did hit the xhp irons and really like them . For those that have hit both the x-pro irons and the apex ... How do they stack up distance wise?
thanks gb

Had my first round with the Apex's today.....what a difference from G15's, the Apex is much smaller and forged feels way different then cast....it was chilly early this morning when we teed off but it got close to 60 degrees on the back. My first 2 full iron shots were a 9 iron in on 1 and 6 iron on the par 3 3rd...I was a little anxious and hit both thin, the mishit wasn't terrible as I came up a little short on 1 and on the green on 3...then I purred a 8 iron from 140 in the rough on the 4th and it took one bounce and backed up! I couldnt believe it, I always had a tough time hitting out of the rough period with the G's not worrying about spin (more like direction and carry). Im a believer! My distance was just a tad longer then the G's (I take temp conditions into account here, as I believe in the summer time I should be about a club longer with the Callys). Proximity to the hole is much better, with these clubs im hitting a baby draw and Im getting a lot of spin (impressive for winter greens). Tomorrow its going to pour and then it gets cold out again.....truly disappointed as I want to play more rounds with them. I just finished cleaning them and they are ready (I have OCD issues when it comes to my clubs being clean).....3 birds, 3 doubles, 2 3 putts and shot 81, not bad with new clubs and not playing for a few weeks

Very sharp looking for sure. A must try this spring

Three birdies is sweet Scott. We still have snow on the ground here in NJ but as you noted the weather was conducive to playing golf. Glad you like the irons.
Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express

Very nice start scott

Ok this will be my last iron equipment post, well as it turns out I got one more day of golf here (it was supposed to be a complete washout but the rain was delayed till tonight). The weather conditions were low 50's, strong winds and foggy this morning...Shot the best round of my life shooting 73 with 4 birdies....The Apex's were hunting the pin all round, 3 of the birdies were tap ins....I like to call this the "honeymoon period" with new equipment, and I want to see what happens all next summer with 40 rounds in with these clubs....the feel and accuracy are amazing, they are definitely 1 club longer then my G15's.... I usually never mind spending hard earned dollars on golf but this is the BEST money I have ever spent (along with the custom fitting)! I hate winter!

Good stuff.
But dont make it your last, lots of great topics.

Oh cool. Yeah. Cannot WAIT to order and get these. The Apex long, middle and short irons just flow so well. Love the new grooves and all of the tech these irons have.

Had my first round with the Apex's today.....what a difference from G15's, the Apex is much smaller and forged feels way different then cast....it was chilly early this morning when we teed off but it got close to 60 degrees on the back. My first 2 full iron shots were a 9 iron in on 1 and 6 iron on the par 3 3rd...I was a little anxious and hit both thin, the mishit wasn't terrible as I came up a little short on 1 and on the green on 3...then I purred a 8 iron from 140 in the rough on the 4th and it took one bounce and backed up! I couldnt believe it, I always had a tough time hitting out of the rough period with the G's not worrying about spin (more like direction and carry). Im a believer! My distance was just a tad longer then the G's (I take temp conditions into account here, as I believe in the summer time I should be about a club longer with the Callys). Proximity to the hole is much better, with these clubs im hitting a baby draw and Im getting a lot of spin (impressive for winter greens). Tomorrow its going to pour and then it gets cold out again.....truly disappointed as I want to play more rounds with them. I just finished cleaning them and they are ready (I have OCD issues when it comes to my clubs being clean).....3 birds, 3 doubles, 2 3 putts and shot 81, not bad with new clubs and not playing for a few weeks

Great round! Im the same way with my clubs too :sly:

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

Ok this will be my last iron equipment post, well as it turns out I got one more day of golf here (it was supposed to be a complete washout but the rain was delayed till tonight). The weather conditions were low 50's, strong winds and foggy this morning...Shot the best round of my life shooting 73 with 4 birdies....The Apex's were hunting the pin all round, 3 of the birdies were tap ins....I like to call this the "honeymoon period" with new equipment, and I want to see what happens all next summer with 40 rounds in with these clubs....the feel and accuracy are amazing, they are definitely 1 club longer then my G15's.... I usually never mind spending hard earned dollars on golf but this is the BEST money I have ever spent (along with the custom fitting)! I hate winter!

Congrats on the personal best. I love hearing these success stories.

Review 12/23/13

Callaway Apex/Apex Pro Review

It's been a while since my last review, and I've had the opportunity to play and hit the range a few times since my last writeup so I figured I am due for a write-up.

The weather here in NC has been warm for the most part so getting out to play has not been an issue. I've played on a few cool and windy days and the Apex have performed well in those conditions--no issues with ballooning or problems controlling the ball with lateral movement. I am going through some swing changes, so the fact that I feel as comfortable as do with these irons says a lot about their performance. I've had plenty of shots where at impact I'm thinking, "That was awful" only to look up and see the ball slightly off target. As mentioned in my previous posts, the head paired with the KBS shaft is a pretty nice fit for me. I am still hitting the ball plenty high but with greater control. I have also enjoyed being able to flight the ball up or down and left or right with greater ease.

As far as my range sessions go, they have mainly been confined to short ones as I've only been able to go on my lunch break. I've been working on some drills and have mostly used the 7 iron during that time. The result is that I have a ton of confidence with the 7. My best two shot my last round were with the 7--both second shots on par 5s. The first being from the rough with an uphill lie into the wind. Normally, this is the type of shot that would be give me fits but I was able to put it to about 20 feet on a small target. The second was from the fairway with the wind at my back. I took a nice, easy swing and the ball just took off with a high draw. On the green putting for eagle.

From what I've seen from the Apex so far--they will be staying in the bag for the time being.

Review 12/23/13

It's been a while since my last review, and I've had the opportunity to play and hit the range a few times since my last writeup so I figured I am due for a write-up.

The weather here in NC has been warm for the most part so getting out to play has not been an issue. I've played on a few cool and windy days and the Apex have performed well in those conditions--no issues with ballooning or problems controlling the ball with lateral movement. I am going through some swing changes, so the fact that I feel as comfortable as do with these irons says a lot about their performance. I've had plenty of shots where at impact I'm thinking, "That was awful" only to look up and see the ball slightly off target. As mentioned in my previous posts, the head paired with the KBS shaft is a pretty nice fit for me. I am still hitting the ball plenty high but with greater control. I have also enjoyed being able to flight the ball up or down and left or right with greater ease.

As far as my range sessions go, they have mainly been confined to short ones as I've only been able to go on my lunch break. I've been working on some drills and have mostly used the 7 iron during that time. The result is that I have a ton of confidence with the 7. My best two shot my last round were with the 7--both second shots on par 5s. The first being from the rough with an uphill lie into the wind. Normally, this is the type of shot that would be give me fits but I was able to put it to about 20 feet on a small target. The second was from the fairway with the wind at my back. I took a nice, easy swing and the ball just took off with a high draw. On the green putting for eagle.

From what I've seen from the Apex so far--they will be staying in the bag for the time being.

What is the head/shaft combo that you have? Apex with TourV?

I cannot wait to get these in hand. I think my game is going to hit a new level when I get used to them.

What is the head/shaft combo that you have? Apex with TourV?

I cannot wait to get these in hand. I think my game is going to hit a new level when I get used to them.

from his sig:

Currently Testing :callaway: Apex (3-7) and Apex Pro (8-PW) with :kbs: Tour V 110 Stiff

Dang, cant decide between ping g25 and apex. Need something to be the deciding factor here. Both are similar in length. Apex look better but ping has a nicer more muted sound to them. Anyone else who have put up g25 vs apex?

Skickas från min iPad via Tapatalk

Review 12/23/13

As mentioned in my previous posts, the head paired with the KBS shaft is a pretty nice fit for me. I am still hitting the ball plenty high but with greater control.

I took a nice, easy swing and the ball just took off with a high draw. On the green putting for eagle.
Changing the shafts out is definitely part of my pondering sessions right now, and here's why:
If I do like you noted, and take that nice, eeaaasy swing, the results are nothing short of fantastic.

However, that change in tempo and speed is really almost like a complete swing change for me. I feel like I'm having to slow down so much that I can't get myself to do it on every single swing and I fall back to my normal tempo. This is where I think I start spraying shots. The distance is usually spot on, but the 'towards' is off by up to 10-15 yrds and it could be right OR left.

I was reminded of this on my last iron shot of the day on Saturday. I had a 8 iron out of the first cut of rough and the first shot was, as it turned out, my 'normal' swing. The ball went a bit left and with a draw. I dropped another ball in the same rough, same lie, and concentrated on really slowing it down and cutting my tempo by probably a third or more. This shot was pure as could be, tracked high and right at the pin and stopped about 6ft from the hole. It was beautiful, and a reminder that either my old swing has to go, or a new shaft would help.

I know this was wordy and long, but it's frustrating. A tempo drill of some sort would be cheaper, I guess.

Edit to add, this in no way lowers my love for these things. The combo I have works perfectly when implemented properly. You know, the Indian not the arrows.

Yesterday I managed to get to the range to hit balls with predicted rain coming. Range faces due south and the wind was dead into my face the entire time I was out there. I was able to practice flighting balls down with swing changes and ball placement. Shorter backswings with abbreviated follow throughs allowed me to be able to keep the ball low and on target. There was a significant loss in distance, but being able to keep the ball on a super low trajectory, I was able to stay within two club lenghts of my normal distances.

First round after hopefully catching my swing before it tried to get away from me again is tomorrow. I'll be playing one of the courses at my parents' place at Verandah near Ft. Myers. We'll see what happens...

Changing the shafts out is definitely part of my pondering sessions right now, and here's why:
If I do like you noted, and take that nice, eeaaasy swing, the results are nothing short of fantastic.

However, that change in tempo and speed is really almost like a complete swing change for me. I feel like I'm having to slow down so much that I can't get myself to do it on every single swing and I fall back to my normal tempo. This is where I think I start spraying shots. The distance is usually spot on, but the 'towards' is off by up to 10-15 yrds and it could be right OR left.

I was reminded of this on my last iron shot of the day on Saturday. I had a 8 iron out of the first cut of rough and the first shot was, as it turned out, my 'normal' swing. The ball went a bit left and with a draw. I dropped another ball in the same rough, same lie, and concentrated on really slowing it down and cutting my tempo by probably a third or more. This shot was pure as could be, tracked high and right at the pin and stopped about 6ft from the hole. It was beautiful, and a reminder that either my old swing has to go, or a new shaft would help.

I know this was wordy and long, but it's frustrating. A tempo drill of some sort would be cheaper, I guess.

Edit to add, this in no way lowers my love for these things. The combo I have works perfectly when implemented properly. You know, the Indian not the arrows.

Toad, it's obviously hard for me to say if it's a fitting or swing issue for you. I know with my Pings, the shaft in those is not the best fit for me. It makes it hard to swing with confidence once that is in your head. Anyway you could hit a demo with a different in it?

I've really tried to shorten my swing in order to get some more control, and I think it has helped. I can step on it when needed, but I am liking the control. As long a I don't completely shut the face down, my misses are not nearly as bad with the Apex.

Back