Germerican

AngryYankee
Reaction score
Handicap
23.8 USGA
Unless you started off as a "parking lot pro", everyone had a first set that wasn't exactly a looker. My first set was a complete driver, wood, iron set from Tour Craft. I added in a 7+ wood, a 60* wedge, putter, as well as an illegal two-way chipper. I knew nothing about golf so I was just buying stuff. I still have the clubs except the driver which broke a while ago on the range before I knew how to hit properly. Below are photos of my first ever clubs.

60* wedge:
Spoiler
101_1005.jpg

Putter:
Spoiler
101_1006.jpg

7+ Wood:
Spoiler
101_1007.jpg

Spoiler
101_1008.jpg

Universal chipper:
Spoiler
101_1009.jpg

Spoiler
101_1010.jpg

3 wood with lovely idiot marks
Spoiler
101_1011.jpg

Spoiler
101_1012.jpg

6 iron:
Spoiler
101_1013.jpg

Spoiler
101_1014.jpg

How many of you still have your first ever set lying around?

I do still have my first set. It cost $100 for Driver through PW. I can't remember the brand, but I want to say Acuity. Later on I picked up some 20 year old Spaulding long irons from a Goodwill and tried to use them for a season. Results were obviously outstanding.

My first set was one of those Wilson 100 dollar sets. Bag through putter. I loved them. They took the abuse of a newbie who swung out of his shoes. I skied the driver A Lot! The us and 5 I snapped at the shaft/head connection. The putters paint chipped off fast and the woods dented in the face. I played them for 2 seasons and finally retired them. They were awsome !

Mine are still in the garage. A set of Acuity Knights from 1993 or so. Graphite shafts in everything that are so flimsy. It's funny to pick one of the tiny woods.

Dont have mind, I remember they were Nortwestern Golf Clubs.

The first I ever bought were some Jack Nicklaus golden Bear's, graphite shafts which I busted 5 heads off of lol

My first set of irons we taylormade 200 series I got for $100 on the bay about 10 years ago. They stashed in the garage. First driver was Nike 300cc I got for 50 so had my first setup all together for about 200 with the bag.

"Par-Rite" if memory serves. Complete set at K-Mart. Short, unforgiving, and poorly made. I thought they were GREAT.
Certainly beat the mismatched set of random Northwestern and other gifts/hand-me-downs I had been playing. I didn't really need three 7 irons.

I had hand me down clubs from my dad when starting: Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades with some old persimmon head woods. The woods weren't that bad but those irons were so hard to hit. Talk about a tiny sweet spot, and look up unforgiving in the dictionary and you'll see those blades.

I learned to play while in 8th grade (early 80's) and my parents bought me a set from a flea market. I don't remember the brand at all, unfortunately, but it was 2-PW plus a driver, 3w and 5w... and a really ugly black and yellow carry bag. :) I used it through high school.

[ Insert 20 year gap where I literally didn't touch a club. ]

When I decided to get back into golf a few years ago I bought an inexpensive Golden Bear set off overstock.com that I used for about a year and a half before deciding that I was serious enough to upgrade.

My first ever set was donated to my mom's friend's son for him to get started - they are kid's clubs, so perfect for him to start out with! Came with a bag, a driver, 3 irons and a putter. They were like Tiger or something (not related to TW, I got them in like '97), and were probably $70 or so. I added an LPGA branded 5w with a steel shaft and a no brand 56* SW after that, and stuck with it till I grew out like 2 years later. Not exactly super high quality, but I was just hacking around on the pitch and putt at that age.

I started playing when I was about 12. I played out of my dad's bag for a while. Eventually, he let me have his Ping Eye 2 irons because the shafts were too stiff for him. I used those for about 15 years.

I think my first driver was Top Flite. It was definitely a metal head with a steel shaft. I had a Top Flite 3W with a steel shaft so whippy that the club head seemed to bend around me. It was awesome!

First putter was an old Ping Anser. I used that one for at least 10 years, probably a little more.

My 1st set was a hand me down from my dad. I believe they were Spaldings, I don't have them anymore but they looked a lot like this.

$_57.JPG

My first set was a classic set of MacGregor CF4000's ("CF" for ceramic face) I bought for $35 from a neighbor back in the early 80's.

cf4000hi.JPG

My first BRAND NEW off the shelf set was a set of Wilson Staff Fluid Feel 2-SW that I think I paid close to $700 for in 1989.

$(KGrHqV,!qsFHMOSlT8GBR4V+CSlCQ~~60_35.JPG

I dont still have mine, but it was a full bag of Top-Flite Clubs

My first set was one of those Wilson 100 dollar sets. Bag through putter. I loved them. They took the abuse of a newbie who swung out of his shoes. I skied the driver A Lot! The us and 5 I snapped at the shaft/head connection. The putters paint chipped off fast and the woods dented in the face. I played them for 2 seasons and finally retired them. They were awsome !

This is funny. Remembering how you used to play compared to now where you know how to play. I used to have a driving iron that I thought was for par threes as if it would magically go to the green no matter the distance. One time I used it and launched it over the green, out of the course and onto a street. The 60* wedge that is shown has a curved shaft thanks to my attempts to straighten the shaft after smacking it against a tree. Still can;t hit a 60* wedge, but not to the point where metal meets wood.

My first set was a set of Hogans that were cut down. I don't recall exactly which model though; most likely either Director or Medallion. The set had a driver, 3 and 5 wood and I think an old Bullseye putter.

The year was 1989. I was 12. I bought myself (iced tea stand $) an old old set with bag. Putter, 3i, 5i, 7i, 9i, 3w, driver. Woods were actual wood. Driver had duct tape around the wire ferrel. The grips were plastic. A couple years later I embarrassingly tried out for my jr varsity team with these terrible sticks. The other kids had shiny new Pings and what not. Bought myself a new Dunlop set a couple weeks later.

Mine was a starter set from a local sporting goods store that's long been out of business. Allied golf (if I'm remembering correctly) driver, a few irons, and a putter. I sold them to my best friend less than a few months later (that trend started EARLY) and bought a complete set of Arnold Palmer clubs and matching bag. Felt like I was on tour--even though I could barely hit the ball.

It was some kind of Wilson complete set about 35 years ago. Took the monumental leap from those to Wilson Staff blades with heads about the size of my index finger about a year and a half later.

Dunlop starter set, D-PW for like $120 or something. Followed that up with the cheapest Knight putter I could find and an old Wilson SW out of the bargain bin at a course. Irons were ok, but lord were those woods and that putter absolutely garbage.

First set of clubs were a RAM G Force starter set, which I still own. Cost me about $120.

ram_golf_men_s_g_force_tour_package_set.jpg

Boxed set of Jack Nicholas Golden Bear. Out the bix and was ready to go. Next set was Adams A4Os.

TapAhoy!

When I was playing as a kid I had a mixed bag of ugly, so those don't count. Can't remember if my first true set were Ping clones or Tommy Armour 845 Silver Scots.

my answer sort of has two parts - my first set technically was some old hogan apex irons with new grips, in a random bag that I don't have anymore. I paid $50 for them from a friend and they were beat to hell. I bought a Wilson Killer Whale driver and a cheap $10 putter from Academy. That was in the late 90s. I only played a couple of rounds with them and went to the range a few times. I still have everything but the bag, I replaced that with an old Hogan "staff" bag from the late 70s/early 80s (flea market). I found some persimmon hogan woods (1 and 3) to go with, and that set sits in my golf caddy in the garage as we speak. I didn't play them at all (or any golf for that matter) until 2012. I decided to try to get back into the game and bought my first "modern" set. It was the end of the season and Dick's had the 2012 Adams Tight Lies +1 set on sale for $400, with an additional 1-day sale that put took another 20% off. Add in a gift card I had gotten for my birthday and I walked out the door with them for $300. Took them to the range quite a few times over the next few months, then about 7 or 8 months ago started actually playing. I slowly replaced every bit of it from then till now. I still have the whole set but the only clubs in use currently are the hybrids, and they are in my father's bag. It's a solid set, if not particularly high-tech. I will keep them, I think. Can't get much for them, and it never hurts to have an extra, fully-playable set of clubs!

My first set of sticks was my grandma's set of Lynx clubs. Persimmon woods. I was about 12 years old and had no interest in golf so I mainly hit rocks with them. A few years ago I saw them in my dad's garage. Wonder if they're still there?

Back