RIP Tour Iron Shafts - Anyone Evaluate Yet?

Marks23

Reaction score
Handicap
I know these are a stock graphite option at 115 grams for the new Adams XTD irons. They have also had wins on on the PGA tour. How do they compare to the steelfibers and recoil?

I know these are a stock graphite option at 115 grams for the new Adams XTD irons. They have also had wins on on the PGA tour. How do they compare to the steelfibers and recoil?

I know we haven't done a frontpage review on these, but I too am curious if anyone else out there on the site has got to spend a little time with them. The modern graphite options ALWAYS intrigue me. Plus, thats a nice weight profile IMO.

The RIP iron shaft will also be available in the 90 series later in the year... about a 93g shaft with the same low torque as the 115g shaft!
And that too will be a graphite option in the Adams XTD irons.

I suspect this will be one of the best graphite irons shafts especially with such low torque that equals if not betters steel, ie the DG x100.

As a all graphite shaft, these will compete well against hybrid graphite/steel shafts like the Aerotech steelfiber shaft.

http://www.aldila.com/products/rip-iron/

Hi the RIP Aldila iron shaft is available in a 95 gram and a 115 gram, in R, S, and X. They are very torsionally stiff.
I think like all Of the RIP series they play very well, except the feed back I got was they felt rather harsh.
When compared the X flex, RIP 115 to the Aerotech steel fiber i110cw, the steelfibers feel less harsh. (Maybe). The ball flight and spin numbers are indifferent.
The torque on the RIP is about 1.1 to 1.7. The Steelfibers torque is about 2.0.
The R flex comparison, the RIP was significantly harsher and the ball flight lower, than the Steelfibers.

I know we haven't done a frontpage review on these, but I too am curious if anyone else out there on the site has got to spend a little time with them. The modern graphite options ALWAYS intrigue me. Plus, that's a nice weight profile IMO.
We need a graphite iron shootout!!

Hi the RIP Aldila iron shaft is available in a 95 gram and a 115 gram, in R, S, and X. They are very torsionally stiff.
I think like all Of the RIP series they play very well, except the feed back I got was they felt rather harsh.
When compared the X flex, RIP 115 to the Aerotech steel fiber i110cw, the steelfibers feel less harsh. (Maybe). The ball flight and spin numbers are indifferent.
The R flex comparison, the RIP was significantly harsher and the ball flight lower, than the Steelfibers.

I have read of comparisons between the Steelfibers and the Recoil Proto and that the steelfibers are harsh by comparison. So, if the RIP is more harsh than the steelfibers then the Recoil Proto must feel very graphite like by comparison?

Definitely want to try some of these in a lightweight shaft, ie 95g area. So, all three are on the list.

The harsh feel concerns me since I would be looking for graphite to absorb the shock to help reduce hand and joint pain.

These are great shafts, but they do play stout, have hit the 115's in stiff and I have an 88mph average 6 iron ss, and they were a little on the stiff side for me, but felt great they have a low to mid ball flight and what I would call mid spin, with great dispersion, and very stable, and a few yards longer than my current Project X 6.0's. I am going to be buying a set of the 115's in regular flex, you can get them directly from Aldila for $40 per shaft, the torque numbers run in the 1.4 to 1.2 range. Once these start to get out, I think they are going to be very popular, its alot of shaft for a great price. The only complaint I have is the graphics, they have a 2 tone color scheme with circuit board graphics, the color of the Rip Tour on the shafts tell you what flex they are, I think gold is X, silver is stiff, and black for regular, I would have liked to see them look more like the Recoil's, I'm afraid a lot of people will not even consider them because of the looks, but if you can get over them, or even like them they are awesome shafts.

I won't lie, I would LOVE to get to spend some time with these. It's amazing how far the "stout" factor in graphite iron shafts have come. Not your graphite of yesteryear, technology is awesome.

Darned it. Now in pondering graphite iron shafts.

The day I got to hit them, alot of better players than me also got to hit them, and these guys were playing C-Tapers, Steelfibers, and Recoil Proto's and most of them would have bought a set on the spot if they could have.

Looked around the net and can't find these for sale anywhere. Are they out yet?

Yes, you can get them directly from Aldila for 39.50 per shaft, or from Bomb Squad Golf, do not know their price. They have the 90 and 115 gram shafts available in stiff and X flexes right now and are working on the regular flex versions, which they might be ready now, this is info I received from and email the first part of December. You can also try them in the new Adams XTD irons, the 115's are the stock graphite option, this is how I tried them.

Thanks, called them up and have a set coming. Now to find some heads to put them in.

Jealous dude. Which version?

3-PW 115g Stiff. Should be here next week sometime, gotta figure out which heads to put them in.

This was Aldila that you called? And the price?

Yes, called them directly on the advice in this thread. I couldn't find these for sale anywhere, I guess only a couple places have them, the rest have to special order them. $39.95 each. When I ordered mine yesterday, they only had 2 sets of the 115g left in stock. so now one set. :)

Shafts showed up today, going to put them in over the weekend. From reading reviews and talking with them, I am going to soft step them 1x.

Attachments

• IMG_1633[1].jpg
    IMG_1633[1].jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 2
Nice!!! Glad you got a set, they look great. I would also like to add that these are available from The Peoples Clubs also, they are tour issue, look a little different and cost a little bit more. I am not sure what the differences are, besides the colors and graphics, if they are any stouter than the standard retail shafts, I can't imagine anyone other then Paul Bunyon being able to load them.

Today was the first day on the course with the new shafts. Wasn't an ideal day as the winds are blowing 25+ today gusting higher, so I only played 9 holes before calling it quits. I got about 20 swings on the range before teeing off, but the wind was coming across left to right so it was hard to distinguish good from bad shots. On the course in the 9 holes I used the PW, 8, 7 and 4 irons. PW seemed to be similar distance as before with the Project X 95 shafts, couldn't tell distance wise with the 8 or 7 as they were either being used down or into the wind, but in all cases it would have been the same club I used before in those instances. The surprising thing today was my 4 iron, I have never gamed the 3 or 4 iron in this club as I have a 3 and 4 hybrid and the extra irons just sit in the garage. Since I purchased the RIP Tours 3-PW and soft stepped them, I went ahead and shafted the 4 iron. Long story short, the 4 hybrid is coming out the bag and the 4 iron is going in. I hit 3 of the most beautiful shots with that 4 iron, it was amazing to me, as I have been struggling with my 4 hybrid for awhile now. I think it was a wise choice soft stepping the stiff shafts and may order the 2 iron shaft to get my 3 iron in the bag.

2dbvthy.jpg

Man I want to get my hands on a set. Please keep us updated.

Today was the first day on the course with the new shafts. Wasn't an ideal day as the winds are blowing 25+ today gusting higher, so I only played 9 holes before calling it quits. I got about 20 swings on the range before teeing off, but the wind was coming across left to right so it was hard to distinguish good from bad shots. On the course in the 9 holes I used the PW, 8, 7 and 4 irons. PW seemed to be similar distance as before with the Project X 95 shafts, couldn't tell distance wise with the 8 or 7 as they were either being used down or into the wind, but in all cases it would have been the same club I used before in those instances. The surprising thing today was my 4 iron, I have never gamed the 3 or 4 iron in this club as I have a 3 and 4 hybrid and the extra irons just sit in the garage. Since I purchased the RIP Tours 3-PW and soft stepped them, I went ahead and shafted the 4 iron. Long story short, the 4 hybrid is coming out the bag and the 4 iron is going in. I hit 3 of the most beautiful shots with that 4 iron, it was amazing to me, as I have been struggling with my 4 hybrid for awhile now. I think it was a wise choice soft stepping the stiff shafts and may order the 2 iron shaft to get my 3 iron in the bag.

well they look great! Looking forward to more info when you get a good session in.

Played 9 holes today and quit due to wind. Stuck a very nice 7i 160yds into the wind about 10ft from the pin, hit a couple more nice 4i shots also. Something I noticed and never have before is on the transition I can feel the shaft/head flex or at least what feels like flexing. Never felt that before with the steel shafts that I have gamed and not sure if it is just the difference between the two materials, maybe softstepping the shafts made them less stiff then what I have been playing before? Going to play a full 18 tomorrow.

Shafts showed up today, going to put them in over the weekend. From reading reviews and talking with them, I am going to soft step them 1x.

Are those the "Silver" flex? And that means stiff?
And you soft stepped them correct?

Back