What shafts should I go with?

Gianna1025

Reaction score
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Handicap
I'm having some difficulty deciding on what iron shafts I should go with this year. I currently have a mix of Matrix Program 80 and S300 shafts in my AMP Cell Pro Irons. I really like the Program shafts but don't have the $700 plus for the rest of the shafts I need. I'm not all that fond of the 130g S300's either. I did see a set of KBS tours on eBay for $40 plus shipping. Checked the specifications and they are coming in at 110g which to me wouldn't be so different from the S300's. Taking suggestions on what is out there that would be a good fit. I have a deliberate tempo with my swing. Hit my 6 iron roughly 180 yards. I know that getting fit would be ideal but honestly, the money isn't there right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated and if this should have been added to a different thread, I apologize and please move it.

I'm having some difficulty deciding on what iron shafts I should go with this year. I currently have a mix of Matrix Program 80 and S300 shafts in my AMP Cell Pro Irons. I really like the Program shafts but don't have the $700 plus for the rest of the shafts I need. I'm not all that fond of the 130g S300's either. I did see a set of KBS tours on eBay for $40 plus shipping. Checked the specifications and they are coming in at 110g which to me wouldn't be so different from the S300's. Taking suggestions on what is out there that would be a good fit. I have a deliberate tempo with my swing. Hit my 6 iron roughly 180 yards. I know that getting fit would be ideal but honestly, the money isn't there right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated and if this should have been added to a different thread, I apologize and please move it.

What kind of ball flight do you currently see? Ive spent some time with the KBS Tour's and it typically for me produces a lower ball flight (more penetrating), if thats something that you dont mind, they are certainly awesome shafts.

The Tours would launch a little higher than the S300's and in my experience spin a bit more as well, but the nice thing is they actually have FEEL to them compared to that DG lack of.

Have any more info? Spin? Launch characteristics?

What kind of ball flight do you currently see? Ive spent some time with the KBS Tour's and it typically for me produces a lower ball flight (more penetrating), if thats something that you dont mind, they are certainly awesome shafts.

Mike, right now I would say that it's a mid flight. I have had some experience with the KBS Tour 90's but really don't remember what they were like.

Mike, right now I would say that it's a mid flight. I have had some experience with the KBS Tour 90's but really don't remember what they were like.

90's are a high launch shaft and will spin a good bit more than the S300's you have now.

As Jman said they certainly launch higher than the Tour's and will give you more spin than the Tour's and the S300's. The 90s are one of my favorite shafts around, very smooth feeling and I love the high launch.

Any chance you can get in somewhere and try out some shaft options?

As Jman said they certainly launch higher than the Tour's and will give you more spin than the Tour's and the S300's. The 90s are one of my favorite shafts around, very smooth feeling and I love the high launch.

Any chance you can get in somewhere and try out some shaft options?

Yeah. I could hit up the golfsmith near me but would the club head/shafts combo make a difference? They don't have ACP heads there

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Yeah. I could hit up the golfsmith near me but would the club head/shafts combo make a difference? They don't have ACP heads there

Perhaps try to find a comparable head with another OEM that they may have, thats pretty much what I had to do when I was fit for my Bridgestone J40 DPC's

The 110g (R flex) KBS Tours aren't really anything like the S300's imo. Much softer feeling.

You might want to try the Project X PXi shafts. Low/mid trajectory, light weight, awesome looking. C-Tapers are never a bad bet either. Also, take a look at Nippon shafts. I currently game the 1050gh Pros and they are pretty unbelievable. All of these can be found on eBay for reasonable prices.

The 110g (R flex) KBS Tours aren't really anything like the S300's imo. Much softer feeling.

Having played both, the R-flex KBS are extremely soft in comparison to the S300's.

What are you looking at trying to accomplish by changing your shaft's? Lighter, higher launch, more spin?

Have you Tried the DG S300 SL they are only 106 grams

Those are two very different shafts both in weight and flex profile. Assuming you have the stiff Programs, those will have quite a soft tip versus the S300s. Do you notice ballflight differences between the two?

What are you looking at trying to accomplish by changing your shaft's? Lighter, higher launch, more spin?

Lighter for sure. I like a mid launch. I haven't seen my numbers with spin recently and can't say that I'm ballooning the ball with my current setup. And not missing in a particular direction all the time. Just more control

I know you said that $$ isn't there for a fitting right now but looks like you're in Philadelphia and Club Champion has their 1/2 price special 'til mid -Feb. Iron fitting (90 minutes) would be $75. Seems in long run that might save you some money over the crap shoot of just buying shafts to try. I've been to their DC place and they have a really nice set-up with lots of stuff to try.
anyway, good luck

I have gotten new pulles with grips for under $100. on ebay. New shafts pulled from a new set that the customer wanted non stock shaft's. Great deal. Check out war eagles
reshafting tips.

Back