Callaway X2 Hot & X2 Hot Pro Irons Preview

I picked them too Freddie. I thought they balanced out better for me, looked great at address, felt great, and they were long.

Thanks Hawk. I really liked the xhot pros and like that these seem to be an improvement

So you guys got fitted for them but didn't get to use them out there as they will send the fitted clubs at a later time right? They look like some great irons and I might have to trade in my Amp's for these.
I picked them too Freddie. I thought they balanced out better for me, looked great at address, felt great, and they were long.

What was it about these that swayed you?
I come from the inside so my miss is a hook. As the fitter said, with that miss, a smaller head will be easier to turn and hook it. Getting a longer bladed iron will help that miss be less severe because the toe will be more resistant to turn. He also so for me to get the Apex Pro if I'm gonna work hard on correcting that miss, otherwise, go X2 Hot Pro. So, I'm being honest with myself.

Getting what you want is key, getting what works for your game is priceless

I come from the inside so my miss is a hook. As the fitter said, with that miss, a smaller head will be easier to turn and hook it. Getting a longer bladed iron will help that miss be less severe because the toe will be more resistant to turn. He also so for me to get the Apex Pro if I'm gonna work hard on correcting that miss, otherwise, go X2 Hot Pro. So, I'm being honest with myself.

great explanation right there.

So, these irons are awesome. I know that the Apex will be the iron set that gets the most internet love, and I liked those, but these had just a little bit of everything that made a great total package. It's like they took all the good things about the other irons and put them in these. I literally had my pick of any of the four irons and these were the easy winner for me.

Long - as in modern distance iron long. Longest iron for me, with the Apex being close.
Sleek look - they've got that nice in-betweener profile. Sole and topline are closer to a 'players' style, but blade length is a bit bigger. Smaller and sleeker than normal Apex.
Feel - effing great feel. Completely surprised me there. I thought they were the best feeling iron there.
Consistent - both in terms of distance and with dispersion.
Forgiveness - maybe not the most forgiving in the line-up, but there's plenty of tech in that cavity to give some help off center.

I had the chance to put a different shaft in them, but didn't even feel the need. Stock felt good and delivered a pretty high ball for me.

FYI, as expected, they look better in-hand.

So, these irons are awesome. I know that the Apex will be the iron set that gets the most internet love, and I liked those, but these had just a little bit of everything that made a great total package. It's like they took all the good things about the other irons and put them in these. I literally had my pick of any of the four irons and these were the easy winner for me.

Long - as in modern distance iron long. Longest iron for me, with the Apex being close.
Sleek look - they've got that nice in-betweener profile. Sole and topline are closer to a 'players' style, but blade length is a bit bigger. Smaller and sleeker than normal Apex.
Feel - effing great feel. Completely surprised me there. I thought they were the best feeling iron there.
Forgiveness - maybe not the most forgiving in the line-up, but there's plenty of tech in that cavity to give some help off center.

I had the chance to put a different shaft in them, but didn't even feel the need. Stock felt good and delivered a pretty high ball for me.

Hawk, I have the same impression on the "feel" vs all the others I tried. That was what got me intrigued IMMEDIATELY.

I was very surprised about that. I think it's that big slug of steel behind the hitting area.

I was very surprised about that. I think it's that big slug of steel behind the hitting area.
Hahahahaha! "Slug of steel"! Hahaha! I bet that gets posted on the walls of the Callaway area at the PGA Show!!! Direct quote by Hawk of THP!!!! Hahaha!

I totally agree. Had the chance to hit this set as well. These will be a sleeper hit for Callaway. Much improved short irons over the XHP's. And I like the XHP irons a lot. The feel is even softer than the xhp. I thought with the stock setup that they were crazy easy to hit. Very solid turf interaction and a high chrome finish. They are definitely worth a look if you don't want to spend Apex money for sure.

Maybe it's that I'm just a bit more used to cavity backs because that's pretty much all I've ever played, but I think these irons look really nice. Not quite as nice as the Apex irons, but still very pleasant. I also like that they made the bracing on the back of the iron chevron shaped. I know Doc Hock will say it's totally based on the engineering and a happy accident that they look like his company's logo, but I think if another company were designing these irons, they'd have been told to make it look like something different, because that shape looks too much like a Callaway chevron. Looking forward to giving these a shot when they hit the stores.

With these hitting stores this week, I can't wait to see some posts and feedback on here. The Pros are probably the most underrated club Callaway has out this year! I put these in my hands again today at our local store and I just LOVE the way they look at address. They are a much thinner profile, address-view, than any of the recent X Hots. They're just great to look at. Man-oh-man, come on Callaway! Get these clubs to Poppa!!!!

They're in some stores now. I was able to hit the x2 hot 6i at golfsmith on Wed. Just a few swings. It felt very nice and it was long. About 5 yards longer than the apex I was hitting at the same time. It was after my golftec session and I didn't have time to stay very long so I only took 5 swings with it. Can't wait to get back and spend some more time. So many great choices this year.

I Really want to hit the x2hot pros. I loved the xhot pros and with all tgat is being said think I will love the x2hp's too. Gotta track down some place with them in lefty nearby.

Ive started looking at these a bit harder now. Has anyone hit these and the speedblades? I also notice on the callaway site that kbs tour shafts are not an upcharge.

Ive started looking at these a bit harder now. Has anyone hit these and the speedblades? I also notice on the callaway site that kbs tour shafts are not an upcharge.

I think you'd find them to be an easy transition from your current irons.

Yep, I've hit both in the same day. You'll give up some forgiveness compared to SB's (if we're talking X2Hot Pros), but that shouldn't be a surprise. I thought both were quite long. X2HP's look better at address in a big way. Thinner sole as well.

My X2Hot's with KBS Tour's are due to arrive this week, pretty anxious to give them a go. I think a lot of folks will be surprised with the soles on the non-pro version, definitely thinner then last years XHot.

We've had the demo's on the cart for about a week now and I did some Trackman work with them last night. Honestly, I did not see much difference in either of the 2 line from the originals in a performance sense. I think most would say they do look better at address and the Pros do feel more solid to me than last year's. It will be interesting to see if either of these can pull people in our shop away from TM/Ping/Titleist as last year's XH and XHP were not good sellers for us at all.

I think you'd find them to be an easy transition from your current irons.

Yep, I've hit both in the same day. You'll give up some forgiveness compared to SB's (if we're talking X2Hot Pros), but that shouldn't be a surprise. I thought both were quite long. X2HP's look better at address in a big way. Thinner sole as well.

Thanks Hawk. Yeah I forgot to say the x2hot pro's. Do you think they would suit a 10 handicap? Also when you tried them did they have the standard px shaft or kbs or something else? Thanks

I think they'd work just fine for that skill level. A smaller cavity compared to X2Hot, but still has a nice blade length.

Tried with the px and was surprised how much I liked them.

Just got an email from Callaway that my X2Hot order shipped and will arrive on Tuesday - we have 60's this week and I have nothing to do so they'll get put into action.

Yes, the X2 hot was my favorite Callaway iron that I demoed tonight. Very easy to hit and forgiving. Some offset at address but I don't mind. I'm curious to try a fitting and see how different shafts perform. Wow so impressed!

Yes, the X2 hot was my favorite Callaway iron that I demoed tonight. Very easy to hit and forgiving. Some offset at address but I don't mind. I'm curious to try a fitting and see how different shafts perform. Wow so impressed!

Canes - I've played 3 rounds with them this week and I think they are Callaway's best GI iron since the X14. The feel, trajectory, ball speed are all light years ahead of recent releases.

I've only played them on dormant Bermuda but will be heading to Palm Springs next week and look forward to trying them out on lush fairways.

Last edited:
I may have a go of these at my local American Golf store later, more so for the fact you get a free sleeve of balls for trying out any of the x2 range..if i hit them I'll report here...

Canes - I've played 3 rounds with them this week and I think they are Callaway's best GI iron since the X14. The feel, trajectory, ball speed are all light years ahead of recent releases.

I've inly played them on dormant Bermuda but will be heading to Palm Springs next week and look forward to trying them out on lush fairways.

I was leaning towards the 714 AP1s but that changed big time last night. Looking forward to your feedback and have a great time in Palm Springs!

Back