Driving the right knee at the ball

T2GRN18

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok Freddie, my hand is heeled up and I'm ready to do work. I was at the range today easy swinging trying to work my right knee in to initiate a better turn through the impact zone. Not sure this is a good angle for the video. I did notice with these swings I was hitting the softest little draw. It felt pretty good, but I'm just not sure I'm working it correctly.

edit: sorry had the wrong knee in the subject line

:act-up:That is really a good motion man

Tell me about it. He's got a beauty of a swing.

Thanks guys, I'm really working to drive that right knee so my hips fire open effectively. It's something I've struggled with. When I'm not doing it correctly my spine angle changes and well that is disastrous.

When I grow up, I want to be like Kevin. Love how smooth and fluid it is dude.

It's great that this thread came up. I had my first ever lesson on Saturday & my pro commented on how I was not using my lower body properly. Sliding my hips & not rotating. He told me I need to feel like I am driving my right knee into my left side. He explained this will get you clearing the hips properly & you will not only see better ball striking, but increased power, which equals distance.

I'm very interested to see Freddie's comments on this one.

Thanks guys, I'm really working to drive that right knee so my hips fire open effectively. It's something I've struggled with. When I'm not doing it correctly my spine angle changes and well that is disastrous.
with a nice tempo and motion...why worry about the look? Just focus on ball flight.. I bet if you master a nice soft draw, all will fix itself. You look good already..dump the camera man

Darn good swing right there.

Very nice Kevin. This is something I am working on. You do it much better than me though! I'll get there though.

JM

Kevin thanks for the video. Glad to see you out there working on it.

The right knee looks solid through out your entire swing. It has a nice move toward the ball and moves right along with the swing. The little draw you were seeing was from a slightly, preset upon take away, shut club face. No biggie at all.

The part of your swing that concerns me, if anything, is the left hip being a little sluggish. I'd like to see the
Left hip clear and continue to pull until your midsection is facing the target completely. You are far off so it shouldn't be hard to accomplish.

Is also like to see you keep the club head chasing down your target line a bit more. You are short arming after impact instead of a full extension. The left hip clearing will assist with this move. But all in all you look good.

Thanks Freddie the lower body in my swing is something I've really just discovered this year through GolfTec.

Chasing the club head down the target line. What will is see or not see when I know it's about where it needs to be?

I'll post another video in a couple weeks after I work on it for a while.

Thank you Sir

from todays lesson at Golftec, started working with shorter length swings to get the feel of it

Looks fantastic kevin
Thanks Dude, its a process I started a long time ago, I know that if I continue I will be in a better place for my game. It's difficult to rebuild a swing after 25 or so years of doing it my way.

Kevin, try to roll your right forearm over your left through impact. It will stop you from throwing your hands at the ball. It will also make your impact position more consistent. Everything else looks good

:act-up:It is never too late to get better at golf. I always hear that "been playing 25 plus years ..hard to change". We can all change, problem is dealing with bad shots and higher scores during the change. That is the part of the change that a lot can't stick with..and I'm at fault as well. Do what your doing, if you notice no improvements after a few seasons,,than switch up with a new instructor.

keep at it,,nice to read about a guy trying to get better

mm

Kevin, try to roll your right forearm over your left through impact. It will stop you from throwing your hands at the ball. It will also make your impact position more consistent. Everything else looks good

Sounds good Sir! This was the first day that we really worked on removing the hard wrist action from my swing. I have a couple of practice sessions scheduled, and will be back at it for another lesson. I'm just hoping that this will pay dividends of consistency when its all said and done. Either way feels good to be headed in a linear direction instead of searching for the perfect club to fix a bad swing habit.

Thanks Dude, its a process I started a long time ago, I know that if I continue I will be in a better place for my game. It's difficult to rebuild a swing after 25 or so years of doing it my way.

I haven't been playing as long as you, but am in the same process of rebuilding my swing and agree its difficult to rebuild.

You will be in a better place and deadly come good weather and golf season.

Kevin, this looks so good man. Great work.

JM

Thanks JM...under construction can be a rough road to hoe

Looks really good so far - but who am I kidding? I am still so imprssed that anyone can see swing flaws at regular speed. I admit I am getting better at seeing some stuff, but it's hard for me to see those subtle differences. In your newest video (Golftec), are your hands releasing too early? Is that what your instructor was talking about? After watching a lot of pro swings in slow mo, I'm starting to get the idea that at impact your RH should still be hinged, yes? Is yours hinged here?

I imaging these are pretty small differences that add up to a lot of yards gaine/lost or sideways dispersion. I know I'd love to have your swing right now. Keep up the good work, man!

Looks really good so far - but who am I kidding? I am still so imprssed that anyone can see swing flaws at regular speed. I admit I am getting better at seeing some stuff, but it's hard for me to see those subtle differences. In your newest video (Golftec), are your hands releasing too early? Is that what your instructor was talking about? After watching a lot of pro swings in slow mo, I'm starting to get the idea that at impact your RH should still be hinged, yes? Is yours hinged here?

I imaging these are pretty small differences that add up to a lot of yards gaine/lost or sideways dispersion. I know I'd love to have your swing right now. Keep up the good work, man!

From the beginning of my lessons my issues were. I didn't have any hip turn through impact. My swing was all upper body and wrist action. It was so dependent on timing my wrist action. Which was also where I gained a lot of power from too. So for several lessons I struggled to effectively get my hips cleared. I've gone from 1 -2 degrees to the 20-30 degrees. But I still have the wrist move to a certain degree. You can see it when I do it incorrectly by the absence of shaft lean at impact. So I'm working now to keep the wrist action under control. With Freddie's help I've really started seeing great results in conjunction with my GolfTec instructor. Honestly this all this has taken my game in an opposite direction than I wanted. Scoring has been a little rough, but I have confidence it will turn around once it's second nature.

The RH is just along for the ride. The angle created at address with the left hand and club is maintained through out the entire swing. This is maintained through impact by rolling the forearms through and not the hands.

You strike with power with the back of the left hand. The right side follows the left. Impact is all left side. If the right side is making impact them you've come over the top and/or come out of the swing.

The RH is just along for the ride. The angle created at address with the left hand and club is maintained through out the entire swing. This is maintained through impact by rolling the forearms through and not the hands.

You strike with power with the back of the left hand. The right side follows the left. Impact is all left side. If the right side is making impact them you've come over the top and/or come out of the swing.

Thanks Freddie.

The angle betwen LH and club you're talking about: Is this the "extension of the left arm down to club face" = straight line angle? Because doesn't the LH hinge during the backswing & unhinge during downswing? What drills/swing thoughts should I focus on? I was planning on doing "slicefixer" 9-to-3 drills to ingrain that core-rotation & take the flippiness of the hands out. Do you have any other suggesions for how I practice this?

Back