Cleveland Custom 588 Driver Preview Thread

Thanks for the thoughts Hawk. Question, what do the back weights help do, control flight? Does the lower weight take it up while the heavier weight bring it down or vise versa?

A few things.

First of all, it allows users to dial in swingweight.
Second, it allows different shafts to be installed, while still maintaining a swingweight.
Third, it could alter ball flight (launch). All other things being equal, the heavier weight in that position could (in theory) raise launch.

A few things.

First of all, it allows users to dial in swingweight.
Second, it allows different shafts to be installed, while still maintaining a swingweight.
Third, it could alter ball flight (launch). All other things being equal, the heavier weight in that position could (in theory) raise launch.

Interesting....Ok then, so it's going to maybe take a little trial and error to figure out what might be the best setting. Can not wait!

Interesting....Ok then, so it's going to maybe take a little trial and error to figure out what might be the best setting. Can not wait!

The cool thing is that they fitting carts will have the shafts and the weights, so you should be able to get a good idea of what works best pretty quickly.

The cool thing is that they fitting carts will have the shafts and the weights, so you should be able to get a good idea of what works best pretty quickly.

This point alone has me excited

That is awesome.

So you don't get all three weights when you purchase it like you do with the M3

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that one Scrap. Will try to find out.

From what I've read it only comes with the 3g weight but the other 2 are available from Cleveland

There ya go. Thanks!

I just had a chance to play with all of the new 2014 drivers out at the golf show here in La Quinta yesterday. Being a predominantly Taylormade woods guy in the past, I came in not expecting to fall in love with a Cleveland.

After going through the line and speaking with reps from each manufacture, I was fitted with a ton of different drivers. The 588 Custom came out on top. I was fit to a 9* set to neutral with an X stiff stock matrix. Ball launched high and had right around 2000rpm of spin. The odd part was, I'm typically in a stiff shaft not X but playing back to back my results and numbers were bang on with the X.

In second place was the VRS 2.0 tour in 9.5 neutral and stiff. The rest like the Callaways and TM's just didn't produce the consistency for me. Really stoked to get my hands on one of the first of these Cleveland's!

Thanks for the thoughts Brody. Stop back to let us know how it's going after you get it.

Putting this one on the monitor tonight. Going to be a quicker than normal turnaround on the home page review, with longer term thoughts to follow in this thread.

Putting this one on the monitor tonight. Going to be a quicker than normal turnaround on the home page review, with longer term thoughts to follow in this thread.

Shower us with numbers Hawk!

Shower us with numbers Hawk!

LOL. I'll try to make it rain.

Main things I'll be looking for is launch, spin, and how much adjustments can change them.

LOL. I'll try to make it rain.

Main things I'll be looking for is launch, spin, and how much adjustments can change them.

Yeah, I definitely want to see the impact the adjustments have on your numbers, as Ive never had access to actual data when Ive tinkered with adjustable drivers.

Highest loft setting raised my launch angle from 11 to almost 14°. Remains quite the low spinner for me. Maybe some of that is shaft, but seems like this is on the lower end of the spectrum for spin, at least for my swing. 300-400 rpm less than my gamer.

Forgiveness across the face was pretty darn good. Surprised me actually. Lost very little ball speed on my higher toe miss. Spin dropped and launch went up and everything almost equaled out to what I'd see w/ center contact believe it or not.

Highest loft setting raised my launch angle from 11 to almost 14°. Remains quite the low spinner for me. Maybe some of that is shaft, but seems like this is on the lower end of the spectrum for spin, at least for my swing. 300-400 rpm less than my gamer.

Forgiveness across the face was pretty darn good. Surprised me actually. Lost very little ball speed on my higher toe miss. Spin dropped and launch went up and everything almost equaled out to what I'd see w/ center contact believe it or not.

Liking what I hear on the face forgiveness. Spin or lack there of could hurt me too but like u said perhaps a shaft swap does the trick. You seeing solid distance all things considered

Yea, ball speeds are there with everything else. I lose a little distance with the launch/spin combo, but that's just a fitting thing. Will probably buy a couple adapters to see what I can get with a different shaft.

For me, I'm liking the lower spin readings. This is good for my swing.

Hawk, what is the ideal launch angle you are looking for? 12-14 degrees?

For me, I'm liking the lower spin readings. This is good for my swing.

Hawk, what is the ideal launch angle you are looking for? 12-14 degrees?

Lowest I like to see is 14-ish with my ball speed and spin rates. I can handle 16 with no problem.

Love reading pretty much everything here. Man I need to demo this.

Keegan Bradley puts 588 custom driver in the bag
ugege5ys.jpg
6e3ege2y.jpg

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Cleveland Custom 588 Driver Preview Thread

OT: And word from Alex in social media is he's putting with a standard length putter. Was practice so don't know if he's doing that this week or not yet.

Saw that on Twitter he has it in the bag.

Awesome to see Keegan bag this so quickly.

Back