Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

Great updates fella's. Have a hard ponder on these with graphite after having a lot of pain in my hands last year; Never gotten along with light iron shafts in the past but these could be an exception. Now Apex with Recoil Prototypes or Steelfiber's... ooh mama.... the stuff dreams are made of right there.

Do it! I hit about 100 balls with the graphite and felt no pain.

I was able to get on a launch monitor with a 6 iron and 4 shaft options today and finally the tour Vs. So we have TourVs, Tour 100s, XP95 and UST Recoils.

I like the feel of the recoils but they just do not do enough for me. Now the Tour V 110s feel so much heavier than the 95s so it was a different feeling. And after 1.5 hours on the monitor the XP95s won by a long shot. I do not understand why Callaway went with this shaft but for me the proof is in the pudding. I just love the feel and launch and distance I get with this shaft. It is like a knife through butter for me. I can not wait to hear more on why this shaft was chosen. But it works awesome.

For the record I am a KBS guy and love their shafts but when I am getting 10 more yards with the XP95s I cannot argue with feel and facts.

I was able to get on a launch monitor with a 6 iron and 4 shaft options today and finally the tour Vs. So we have TourVs, Tour 100s, XP95 and UST Recoils.

I like the feel of the recoils but they just do not do enough for me. Now the Tour V 110s feel so much heavier than the 95s so it was a different feeling. And after 1.5 hours on the monitor the XP95s won by a long shot. I do not understand why Callaway went with this shaft but for me the proof is in the pudding. I just love the feel and launch and distance I get with this shaft. It is like a knife through butter for me. I can not wait to hear more on why this shaft was chosen. But it works awesome.

For the record I am a KBS guy and love their shafts but when I am getting 10 more yards with the XP95s I cannot argue with feel and facts.

Numbers don't lie...I'd take the 10 yards and run

A lot of big gains in here recently. Quality product by Callaway. I bet we see a lot of people gaming these this year.

Id love to get my hands on the XP's side by side to try with my KBS and these heads

There is a combo set of these in my future methinks. I will probably wait until at least the first big price drop before it's even an option however.

spent some time at GolfSmith today comparing Apex, Apex Pro, X2 Hot and Altitudes. Won't buy until I do a more extensive comparison to my current clubs and fitting, but the numbers seem to point to a winner - Apex with Recoil 680 in Stiff. WHat's surprising to me is that my SS was a little on the slow side for me and slower than I'd expect to hit a Stiff shaft, yet I do onsistently better with a Stiff shaft.

Here re the numbers for your curiosity. Hope they format ok.

Club Club Head Speed Ball Speed Launch Angle Azimuth Side Spin Back Spin Total Spin Descent Angle Carry Total Distance Offline Peak Height
Apex xp95 Average77112.119.40.4484477449945165.98182.141.5232.12
apex pro xp95 Average76110.421.4-0.8-2934812483547159.58174.58-9.1134.52
Apex Pro Rec Average73106.922.22.32884460450046154.75170.3111.8332.97
Alt 85 Average7611119.6-0.9-7574415451544162.3178.97-20.6331.02
apex rcl S Avg76110.520.20.3-514234424545164.15181.08-0.532.32
x2 hot Average76110.617.2-0.1-5343912403240162.9182.07-13.4626.5
apex rcl S Avg79114.520.71.6-2374595461747169.75185.08-1.1836.07

Tapatalk being stupid...what was the winner

My instructor and I had this conversation not long ago. 19° is about the limit with a 6 or 7. After that, at least in my experience is that I start losing distance. My target is usually 15 or 16.

Rap-a-tap Tappin' on my SG4

personally i notice that the higher the launch angle, the farther i hit them. i want a 7 iron around 22-23 degrees so 19 degrees 6 iron sound fab. but on the other hand i am swedish, i want to hit the towering 5 irons just like stenson!

personally i notice that the higher the launch angle, the farther i hit them. i want a 7 iron around 22-23 degrees so 19 degrees 6 iron sound fab. but on the other hand i am swedish, i want to hit the towering 5 irons just like stenson!

There's nothing wrong with that my friend!

Rap-a-tap Tappin' on my SG4

<long rambling post warning!>

After reading and pondering (a LOT) the last few pages of posts, I think I'm going to have to break down and just go to my fitter, Dana, and hit the Apex with different shafts, assuming he has any of these particular ones on hand (I know he told me he had four, maybe more now).

All this talk of Tour Vs made me go to the KBS site and do a shaft fit. Almost every time, changing the odd answer to questions where I'm kind of in the middle, it told me to go with the C-Taper Lites in Stiff. I'm trying to learn all I can on iron shafts and don't think I have clarity on one thing...spin.

When a shaft says it's low spin, this is side spin?? Is that was gives the tighter dispersion? I imagine the club face still imparts its fair share of backspin on the ball(?). Otherwise, you're just hitting knuckleballs at greens and how are they suppose to stick? I'm confused on something, I guess.

Anyway, I was all set to go searching for some CTLs somewhere, then stopped, wondering why not the Vs when what I want is more control. I have the XP95s and I think they're just a tad too soft or something. Oddly, when I go to the True Temper fitting page, it told me I should have been in 105s.
(In all fairness, and for total disclosure, I was hitting like CRAP on the range for Matty!).

So, shaft experts out there, I have the 95s which I feel are just 'off' somehow. Seems I hit the ball well enough but it could have slight fade, slight draw, or dead straight, and they all feel about the same to me. My 7 iron goes 150-160, I tend to have a quicker down that back swing, and I'm perfectly happy with the mid-high flight and distance of the 95s.

Discuss. (ie help!)

T0AD,
If you want my brutally honest response, its not the shafts. Going up 10 grams or so is not going to change a non-repeatable swing that you seem to be suffering from right now. Your too good of a guy and too good of a golfer to let the mental part get in the way, which I think is happening currently.

You hear guys talk about the KBS offering, can go right to their site and see what it is recommending and each bad shot, creeps in that it must be a shaft issue. It happens to all of us. I mean all of us, but the reality is, in this instance, I dont think it will change much.

But the game is mental, so if you are going to have more confidence standing over the ball with something heavier, absolutely jump on it and see if it works. To answer your question about the word spin, it is referring to back spin.

<long rambling post warning!>

When a shaft says it's low spin, this is side spin?? Is that was gives the tighter dispersion? I imagine the club face still imparts its fair share of backspin on the ball(?). Otherwise, you're just hitting knuckleballs at greens and how are they suppose to stick? I'm confused on something, I guess.

Discuss. (ie help!)

there is actually both, or nothing. A ball can only spin one way at a time

Nothing can be more detrimental to my game than convincing myself I have the wrong shaft(s). Every bad shot the shaft becomes the excuse.

Nothing can be more detrimental to my game than convincing myself I have the wrong shaft(s). Every bad shot the shaft becomes the excuse.

Yeah, probably right. The tinkering jumps in quick when you can't find the solution.

2 more days and I'll finally get these outside and game them. For some reason Im really looking forward to the AW in this set. Havent been in love with my current 50*, nor really any since a few sets of irons ago when I had it as part of the set. Anxious to see hwo much I like it and if its the yardage I expect

2 more days and I'll finally get these outside and game them. For some reason Im really looking forward to the AW in this set. Havent been in love with my current 50*, nor really any since a few sets of irons ago when I had it as part of the set. Anxious to see hwo much I like it and if its the yardage I expect

I'm looking forward to your results. I'm still undecided on what to do with these clubs. I've got some serious gaps now between my PW to my GW. I really don't want to go out and get new wedges as I LOVE my current set up. The faces on these irons are ridiculously hot (something I loved in the launch monitor) and now that I'm trying to hit targets, I'm having a hard time with shots 140 to 115 which used to be my bread and butter. I picked up a set of 712 AP2s that fit much better into my bag as far as gaps are concerned, but I don't want to give up on the Apex just yet. They are both great feeling irons.

I feel like I've got two hot dates for Friday night and can't decide which one to go on.

Good problem to have.

swing your swing

Can't wait to hear what you have to say. I expect a report!

About time Mr Dean! Looking forward to your thoughts.

The faces on these irons are ridiculously hot (something I loved in the launch monitor) and now that I'm trying to hit targets, I'm having a hard time with shots 140 to 115 which used to be my bread and butter. I picked up a set of 712 AP2s that fit much better into my bag as far as gaps are concerned, but I don't want to give up on the Apex just yet. .

Adam - is this a gap issue or a hot spot on the short Irons? I have read a few reports on here and other forums where people are having issues with the Apex short irons, as in they are not consistent.

The more I read about this "possible" issue, the more I am thinking of getting PW-7 in the Pros for accuracy and 6-3 in the Apex for forgiveness

Back