Phil Mickelson gaming a Ping wedge?

SaffaClint

Reaction score
Handicap
+2.3
I'm watching the Euro tour and Mickelson just hit a great little chip shot from the rough and the first thing I noticed was the lack of a ferrule. I hit the rewind button and looked closely and it's without a doubt, a PING wedge. I thought he was a huge fan of the Callaway wedges?

Last edited:
Phil has gamed clubs from other OEM's, including Ping wedges many times in the past. It is early in the season and he is just checking things out like the rest of us.

Fair enough, I've just always thought he played Callaway wedges all the time. I know he experiments with other drivers etc from time to time but I thought he stuck with one brand of wedge.

He has seemed to have that ping lob wedge in the bag for a long time.... I know he had it in play at the Bridgestone

Fair enough, I've just always thought he played Callaway wedges all the time. I know he experiments with other drivers etc from time to time but I thought he stuck with one brand of wedge.

He absolutely dabbles in PING wedges. Heck during the whole groove change, he put Eye 2 wedges in the bag.

He absolutely dabbles in PING wedges. Heck during the whole groove change, he put Eye 2 wedges in the bag.

Doesn't this go back to his college days?

Do you know which wedge it is this time around?

I know he's a tinkerer and I know I must have seen wrong this morning (i was half asleep) but I swear I saw him using the SLDR still.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

Yeah the wedge stuff shocked me. If I was Callaway I would not be happy. However, he is one of the greatest players and they provides a lot for the brand.

Let's not forget the Anser 2 17° hybrid he played a lot last year

I think it's great that Callaway gives him the freedom to tinker. Very cool move on their part imho.

Back