Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

Like I said, you'll already have a full set of Callaway clubs before the Morgan cup haha

I already bought an MD 2 and will probably get a X2Hot hybrid today. Not going to get irons. I can go to PGA SS and hit them whenever I want. Haha

What do you guys think of the sound of these irons? Compared to the X2Hot it seemed like a loud "thwack" if that makes sense? That's really my only criticism so far and I'm probably over thinking it.

What do you guys think of the sound of these irons? Compared to the X2Hot it seemed like a loud "thwack" if that makes sense? That's really my only criticism so far and I'm probably over thinking it.

I suppose that depends on your swing speed. I have a slower swing speed than most and didn't notice it. Same for my TM RBladez but the speed pocket sounded like it was collapsing when Canadan was hitting them.

Question about the Apexs being forged. I thought forged irons were made from one piece of steel and hammered into shape with a forging hammer. So how can an iron be forged if it is multi-material?

Hadn't noticed that really...has a solid compact sounds imo

Hit these yesterday, nice but they feel like my xhot pro's. Same with the X2's, felt pretty much the same. Thats a good thing because I love the pro's.

I like the sound, not loud at all, to me it has a "solid" sound compared to my previous cast irons, just for info purposes, my swing speed with the 6i was around 85mph

Question about the Apexs being forged. I thought forged irons were made from one piece of steel and hammered into shape with a forging hammer. So how can an iron be forged if it is multi-material?

The body of the iron is forged and the face is carpenter steel

Both pieces are forged then welded together.

Some people who know me will laugh at this comment. But, I found the Apex made a little bit of a "clicky" sound compared to the Apex Pro. It's not a bad sound at all, but it's not a soft, "buttery" sound that I get from traditional player's irons.

With that said, if the Apex perform on the course like they have on the range for me, they could sound like a car horn at impact and I wouldn't mind at all.

Some people who know me will laugh at this comment. But, I found the Apex made a little bit of a "clicky" sound compared to the Apex Pro. It's not a bad sound at all, but it's not a soft, "buttery" sound that I get from traditional player's irons.

With that said, if the Apex perform on the course like they have on the range for me, they could sound like a car horn at impact and I wouldn't mind at all.

I sense some of that too when I miss towards the toe. In the middle of the face it's pretty buttery for me. Not softspread like a mizuno, but buttery none the less. Maybe, I cant believe it's not buttery?

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

Got a chance to hit these yesterday against the x2hot pros. I was launching these a little lower than the x2hots but man, the feel of these things is just unreal. Not a harsh feeling at all on off center hits like I get with my DPCS. I can't believe how soft these things feel for a forged iron.

All in all, I really enjoyed the apexes. Very real possibility these are in the bag for the MC this year.

Got a chance to hit these yesterday against the x2hot pros. I was launching these a little lower than the x2hots but man, the feel of these things is just unreal. Not a harsh feeling at all on off center hits like I get with my DPCS. I can't believe how soft these things feel for a forged iron.

All in all, I really enjoyed the apexes. Very real possibility these are in the bag for the MC this year.

Go ahead and say I told you so.

Go ahead and say I told you so.

I told B-Rad first.

Better luck next time, #2.

And, I suspect that the majority of MC staffers will go with the Apex. The X2Hot irons are really nice, but I suspect the Apex will make it into more MC bags.

Spent lots of quality time at Golfsmith today. I was comparing irons and hit the Apex with the DG stiff.

They truly felt like a distance iron, but with more response. My LM numbers came in at

103 - 107 ball speed, 19-22 launch, 2800 - 4435 spin, 157 carry. These are very close to the numbers I was just fitted in to, yet these would cost significantly less than the set my fitter came up with. Will definitely have to put these on the ponder list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm guessing that the Golfsmith monitor is not a Trackman or Flightscope so maybe the spin numbers are off somewhat but if not, those numbers are very low. I will say that has been a fitting concern with the Apex - some people have had some pretty low spin numbers and low face hits can turn into missiles - very similar to what I saw in some instances with the i20s.

Spent lots of quality time at Golfsmith today. I was comparing irons and hit the Apex with the DG stiff.

They truly felt like a distance iron, but with more response. My LM numbers came in at

103 - 107 ball speed, 19-22 launch, 2800 - 4435 spin, 157 carry. These are very close to the numbers I was just fitted in to, yet these would cost significantly less than the set my fitter came up with. Will definitely have to put these on the ponder list.

I'm guessing that the Golfsmith monitor is not a Trackman or Flightscope so maybe the spin numbers are off somewhat but if not, those numbers are very low. I will say that has been a fitting concern with the Apex - some people have had some pretty low spin numbers and low face hits can turn into missiles - very similar to what I saw in some instances with the i20s.

Low as in low launch and spin?

Taps away

Was this a 6 iron?

What was your swingspeed?

Ususlly swing speed is calculated using the ball speed with a set smash factor so it is sort of irrelevant.

Edit: unless his Golfsmith monitors are different than mine

Depends on the unit and in this case we do not which one - but you know where I am heading since I am wondering about the smash factor. If Philly is missing off center that could explain some of the spin issues.

Ususlly swing speed is calculated using the ball speed with a set smash factor so it is sort of irrelevant.

What was your swingspeed?

74 - 75.

It makes senses because of the roll out I was getting, probably need to get the ball higher, as the low spin shots were low in height, while higher spin equaled higher flight.

I'd happily go down to regular flex for that higher flight.

One of the workers also gave me a Recoil in regular flex, but it was in the 2014 X forged, which is coming out on Valentine's Day. The spin numbers were much better and I really liked how that shaft felt, which you can get at no up charge.

Looks like I'll try the recoils in R flex in the Apex and see how they are compared to the X forged. I'm guessing the Apex are more forgiving, which sounds good to me.

Just spent a hour with these tonight. Hit all different kinds of shafts. I LOVE these heads. I just didn't love the stock 95's. Then I tried the recoils...

I have always dismissed graphite shafts (even though I don't swing the club fast) because I thought they were for seniors.

Well here are some numbers:

Stock Regular Flex 95's:

SS:76
BS:111
Launch:17.8
Spin:6200
Carry:160
Total Distance:169
Offline: -10

Recoil 660 f3

SS:80
BS:116
Launch:19.1
Spin:5900
Carry:169
TotalDistance:179
Offline:-3

I am not sure what ideal numbers are, but I loved the high ball flight and added distance of the graphite. Plus my wrists didnt hurt after hitting a bunch of balls.

74 - 75.

It makes senses because of the roll out I was getting, probably need to get the ball higher, as the low spin shots were low in height, while higher spin equaled higher flight.

I'd happily go down to regular flex for that higher flight.

One of the workers also gave me a Recoil in regular flex, but it was in the 2014 X forged, which is coming out on Valentine's Day. The spin numbers were much better and I really liked how that shaft felt, which you can get at no up charge.

Looks like I'll try the recoils in R flex in the Apex and see how they are compared to the X forged. I'm guessing the Apex are more forgiving, which sounds good to me.

We have similar swing speeds. Here are the gains I had with the recoil 660 in f3 flex

Give them a try.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Back