Titleist 714 AP2 - THP Review Thread

That's it, XP not PX. I like them a lot. Felt like my PX95's. Who makes that shaft?

True Temper. They and the XP105's (stock shaft in the AP1's) are new releases. Lighter weight, high launch, mid spin. From my limited time with them they're very intriguing. The 95's are intended for a smoother tempo ("deliberate" according to them) and the 105's for a mid tempo ("moderate") swing.

True Temper. They and the XP105's (stock shaft in the AP1's) are new releases. Lighter weight, high launch, mid spin. From my limited time with them they're very intriguing. The 95's are intended for a smoother tempo ("deliberate" according to them) and the 105's for a mid tempo ("moderate") swing.

It's a nice shaft, granted I only hit about 30 balls with them. I will have to try the 105's as well, thanks bro.

First time poster long time follower! I couldn't be happier with the choice I made going with the 714 AP2's. Made the switch from 710 AP1's. Although I was very comfortable with my 710's I find myself working shots I never thought would be possible with the 714's. My game improves every time I step on the course since my new purchase where previously I was at a stalemate.

Awesome cpett. Welcome to THP!

Man, I'm eyeballing these and the AP1s, heavily.

Have you hit either h0ss?

After spending time with these and doing the review I would love to get to hit the 1's just to see.

You'd like them. I bet you'd make ball go far.

For those who game combo sets, any concerns about the gap from lets say AP1 7 iron (32*) to AP2 8 iron (38*)? I'm leaning this way for my next set but a possible 25 yd gap makes me second guess it.

First time poster long time follower! I couldn't be happier with the choice I made going with the 714 AP2's. Made the switch from 710 AP1's. Although I was very comfortable with my 710's I find myself working shots I never thought would be possible with the 714's. My game improves every time I step on the course since my new purchase where previously I was at a stalemate.

Congrats on the success with the new irons, and welcome to THP!

For those who game combo sets, any concerns about the gap from lets say AP1 7 iron (32*) to AP2 8 iron (38*)? I'm leaning this way for my next set but a possible 25 yd gap makes me second guess it.

I'm sure they'd bend them up for you if you'd like.

Check the lofts of the 5&6 irons as I believe the transition is there in reference to lofts.

I've been told the loft is higher in the AP2 to get the appropriate LA in the lower irons.

Eh, kinda keeping that one close to the vest just now until I get more time with these, since I've had the s55's for a good while now I'm more comfortable with them and I want to see how things balance out with a little more time.

Great review and wondering if you are far enough along yet to compare the following (maybe a simple pro/con analysis?):

AP2 714 to S55

AP2 714 to i20

I have the S55 and wish I would have gotten them with KBST as I think the CFS and the D1 swing weight is just to light for my tempo and swing...hitting some ballons and flyers...I really like the look of the AP2 714 and have never owned the AP2 model...thinking about bagging them with KBST, stiff and would really like to know your opinion as you have been testing this exact setup and you have owned all three of these irons.

When I compare the AP2 and S55 at address I find the AP2 a tad bigger than the S55 (which is fine for me) and from a technology standpoint the AP2 seems to have more forgiveness built into them than the S55...yes when swinging well it does not matter but thinking about all those days when I am not swinging well as I am not a pro just an enthusiast. It just seems like the AP2 on those days would be more forgiving than the S55.

I have also hit the AP2 in a simulator and did not experince the clicking sensation you defined but as you stated feel is "to each his own". Now they did not feel Mizuno soft but I did not seem to notice the click. The S55 do feel soft but then again I have only hit them with the CFS, stiff shaft and IMO evey PING feels soft with that shaft??? Our games sound somewhat similar so I would really appreciate your input (PM me if you feel that would be better)...keep up the great review!!!

Great review and wondering if you are far enough along yet to compare the following (maybe a simple pro/con analysis?):

AP2 714 to S55

AP2 714 to i20

I have the S55 and wish I would have gotten them with KBST as I think the CFS and the D1 swing weight is just to light for my tempo and swing...hitting some ballons and flyers...I really like the look of the AP2 714 and have never owned the AP2 model...thinking about bagging them with KBST, stiff and would really like to know your opinion as you have been testing this exact setup and you have owned all three of these irons.

When I compare the AP2 and S55 at address I find the AP2 a tad bigger than the S55 (which is fine for me) and from a technology standpoint the AP2 seems to have more forgiveness built into them than the S55...yes when swinging well it does not matter but thinking about all those days when I am not swinging well as I am not a pro just an enthusiast. It just seems like the AP2 on those days would be more forgiving than the S55.

I have also hit the AP2 in a simulator and did not experince the clicking sensation you defined but as you stated feel is "to each his own". Now they did not feel Mizuno soft but I did not seem to notice the click. The S55 do feel soft but then again I have only hit them with the CFS, stiff shaft and IMO evey PING feels soft with that shaft??? Our games sound somewhat similar so I would really appreciate your input (PM me if you feel that would be better)...keep up the great review!!!

While I am not Jman - I gamed the s56's for two years. The s55's are supposedly a touch smaller than those. The AP2 to me were slightly larger than the s56's and would thus be larger than the s55's.

While I am not Jman - I gamed the s56's for two years. The s55's are supposedly a touch smaller than those. The AP2 to me were slightly larger than the s56's and would thus be larger than the s55's.

Yeah that is what I saw when I compared them at GS this weekend...not much bigger but a tad...btw does anyone know what a "tad" is? LOL

Yeah that is what I saw when I compared them at GS this weekend...not much bigger but a tad...btw does anyone know what a "tad" is? LOL

I'm with you. I knew the answer when I saw the question but in terms of describing how small it is becomes really tough. It is noticeable yet VERY small.

I'm with you. I knew the answer when I saw the question but in terms of describing how small it is becomes really tough. It is noticeable yet VERY small.

Well the important thing for me is that I "rigth away' loved the way the AP2 set up at address...felt like I could just rip a 6 iron across GS without much thought...not sure store mangement would have enjoyed that...LOL

I really like it when an iron looks that way to me at address...very few do but when they do it just instills alot of confidence...which in this game is HUGE!!!

Last edited:
I hit these yesterday for the first time. I have to say that they are drop dead sexy. They had the stock S300 shaft which is completely wrong for me and my swing, but I was still highly impressed. I actually hit these better than the AP1 with the XP95 shaft. Though, I did LOVE that XP95 shaft. My Monday morning fitting can't get here soon enough.

Well the important thing for me is that I "rigth away' loved the way the AP2 set up at address...felt like I could just rip a 6 iron across GS without much thought...not sure store mangement would have enjoyed that...LOL

I really like it when an iron looks that way to me at address...very few do but when they do it just instills alot of confidence...which in this game is HUGE!!!

This is exactly right my man.

Olas, you are correct in that the AP2's are easy to hit.

Va what shaft were you hitting? These do not lack for distance that is for sure when paired with the right shaft.

i believe it was the kbs something, stock shaft. regular

I love my new AP2 s 6 to PW I got for Christmas .They look awesome in my Titleist Mid size Staff Bag .I was fitted and I put the XP 95 stiff soft stepped as I found the standard shaft heavy. Average distance with the 6 iron was 176 yds. Can not wait for spring to see how they on the coarse.

Titleist 714 AP2 - THP Review Thread

After thorough testigand comparison i went with the ap2s with nippon modus 3 120 regular slightly hardstepped

I did compare them to ping i25 and apex, but both those launched the ball too high for me

Skickas från min iPhone via Tapatalk

Just sold my 710 Ap2's for very good coin that I've been playing for a few years. Wondering if it's a noticeable change to the 14's. Anyone hit them side by side with the 10's or 12's?

I have had my 714 AP2s for a little over a month, now, and had them re-shafted with Recoils. Still haven't had a chance to hit them outside, but have a good number of swings indoors, on a launch monitor. I believe the AP2/Recoil combination is going to be a good one for me, both from a performance standpoint, as well as reducing some wear-and-tear on my elbows. Performance-wise, the combination doesn't appear to be longer than prior sets, but I definitely like the consistent ball-flight. If that keeps up, then it will certainly make shot planning/executing more simple (in theory, anyway). Trajectory is mid to mid-high, and hitting into "simulated" greens results in good holding capability, even with the 4 and 5 iron.

Planning on getting these to the course this weekend and seeing if I can bring the winter-practice positives to a real round.

Back