Using an ugly driver?

vman

Reaction score
Handicap
pro
Anybody out there gaming a driver that at first sight they thought was ugly but,when demoed,it just flat out performed.For example when I first saw the Cleveland Monster XLS Tour I wasn`t impressed,thought it was ugly,but I wanted to give it a hit to see what it was like.Well I`ve now got 2,both in 10.5,one with an Aldila Voodoo XVS6 and one with a DVS 60x.They just flat out perform and now when I look at a traditional shaped driver I prefer the Monster.It just goes to show how looks can grow on you when you bomb it down the middle.I also switched from a Sonartec SS07 3 wood to an XLS.

That is a great question. I guess it depends on what some consider ugly. I thought the same thing about the Monster, and hated the sound, but man oh man is it a good driver. I am playing around a little bit with drivers right now since the shoot out concluded and the looks category is an intriguing one. What some really like, others do not. Very interesting stuff.

The Cleveland XL and XLS were both.....interesting looking drivers. I got the XL for almost nothing as part of new iron purchase and probably never would have considered it otherwise. I loved it. I actually bought the XLS new- but the sound made the XLS way too ugly for me and I sold it. I use the Launcher now, but I still have the XL and I still love it.

That said I have not even looked at the Hippo or the FTi's and can't imagine carrying them around.

pew that's ugly. Looks like you are swinging a small turtle.

p3677319dt.jpg

Lets not turn this one into the ugly driver thread. We have a long one of those already. Lets keep this more in line with what the OP is asking. "Gaming an ugly driver"

Yep, I thought the FT-i was hideous when it came out. Still don't think it's all that good looking but it flat out performs for myself.

Lets not turn this one into the ugly driver thread. We have a long one of those already. Lets keep this more in line with what the OP is asking. "Gaming an ugly driver"

Sorry! I am still a new guy. Didn't see the other thread.

For the past few years I have had one of the Nike squared drivers as a back-up. When I struggle with my swing and start spraying my drive I can always go to my back up. My only problem with those drivers is that they have a higher ball flight and I lose distance, even with an 8.5*. I recently picked up the Nike Dymo2 Str8-Fit and I'm going to play with the settings to deloft it even more and try that out.

I'm with Dyna. The FT-i is ugly and when I first started swinging it I had some trouble, but once I got past the looks I found it to be the straightest and most forgiving driver I have played. Now I tell myself I like the look, especially the low profile at the rear of the head.

Kevin

I'm with Dyna. The FT-i is ugly and when I first started swinging it I had some trouble, but once I got past the looks I found it to be the straightest and most forgiving driver I have played. Now I tell myself I like the look, especially the low profile at the rear of the head.

Kevin

Have you convinced yourself yet or is it still a work in progress?

Same here. I'm playing a FT-I LCG... It is terrible looking (and I'm also not a fan of the sound), but it works!

Does it count when you have a driver everyone else finds ugly?

I don't care what a driver looks like, or any other club for that matter. If I can hit it good I am playing it. I am playing a Nike Dymo2 Str8-fit now and the guys I play with are constantly ragging on me about how ugly it is. It doesn't bother me a bit.

I play a Hibore XL currently. Like a lot of folks, I thought it was funky the first time I saw one, but it felt good in the simulator. I don't really notice it now.

I also game a Tour Burner which I don't particularly like with the dual crown and triangular shape, but it just plain works for me. I look at the ball at address and don't really notice clubs anymore.

Have you convinced yourself yet or is it still a work in progress?

LOL. I guess I still know it's ugly, but I do like the low profile at the rear. The other driver I occasionally bag is a Titleist 907D1. So I have a square and a triangle. Both have the low rear profile, which I like, but neither head can be considered good looking. The shafts in both are pretty snazzy though, with a Matrix XCon 6 in the Cally and a Titleist stock Blueboard in the 907D1.

Kevin

I have lots of shapes, like an old R580, a Burner, a Sumo2, and an R7. I like the looks of all of them. I even like the FT-i with its "taillights". The graphics on the Burner were a little offputting, but once I got past that, I like the overall shape.

I don't care what a driver looks like, or any other club for that matter.

I hated the looks of the Cleveland Halo hybrids I had, could not get over it & eventually sold them.

I used to have a Tour Edge Exotics XLD.

Looks like home plate, being a former baseball player, I didnt mind it too much, but most thought it was terrible.

I have to say, it was the longest driver I have ever hit though, but bad control...

I still maintain that ugly score cards are much worse than ugly clubs. Even nice looking clubs with ugly price tags are no match for an ugly score card. Next to playing, and just having fun, total score is #2 of two. :D

I have a Wilson Invex that I use quite often - complete with sky mark and steel shaft!

Back