2014 Bridgestone B330 Golf Balls Review Thread

Bridgestone Tour B330 Ball Testing
Test Dates: 1/18 & 1/19/2014
Conditions: Temperatures in the Mid 60's to Low 70's winds 10-15 MPH, Course slightly damp in some areas
Type of Testing: 2 - 18 Hole rounds at Rio Colorado Golf Course

Initial Thoughts:
First off, I won't clutter the thread with more photos of the packaging and the balls since several have already posted those. Once I got the new 2014 Tour B330 in hand, I compared it to a brand new 2012 B330-RXS and the first thing I noticed was it did feel slightly softer when I gave it the "finger nail" test by pressing my finger nail into the cover. Bridgestone has stated that this model has a 6% softer cover for added greenside control. I will also say that this is my 3rd Bridgestone ball testing and I am looking forward to putting the new Hydro Core Model through it's paces.

Testing Plan: My normal gamer is either the B330-RX or The B330-RXS, so I was a little surprised to receive the Tour B330 for testing as my swing speed is just below the 105 mph rating, so to test these balls I put them in play both days side by side with the 2012 model B330-RXS to judge distance, direction, spin and reaction off the putter.

On most holes I was able to hit both balls off the tee and on several holes I was able to play both balls all the way through to the cup.

Driver: I was really unsure what would happen when I put these into play because as I have stated before, I have been fit into the RX line by Bridgestone on several occasions, although not at a "live" ball fitting:

First tee I put the B330 on the tee and made a nice smooth swing...the hole was playing dead into 10+mph wind and what I saw was a mid high ball that just bore through the wind with about a 5 yard draw...the perfect ball flight for me!
I put the RXS on the tee and tried to repeat that swing again....I got a mid high ball that started almost on the same line but then began to balloon slightly...about a 10 yard draw on this one....still a good shot, but it measure 12 yards shorter than the test ball. Over the 2 rounds the test ball seemed to hold it's line better than the RXS, distance wise they were very close...I had shots where I outdrove the test ball with the RXS and vice versa, but overall I would say the test ball seemed slightly longer on average. The thing that really surprised me was that the test ball seemed to feel softer of the face than the lesser compression RXS but that may be subjective.
Overall off the driver, I would prefer the ball flight I was seeing from the test ball....it was slightly lower trajectory and a much tighter dispersion.

Hybrids: I don't play many fairway wood shots on this course, but I do play alot of hybrids. The test ball had a great sound coming off the face of the club and seemed to be "jumping" off the face, The company claims the new Hydro Core provides a softer center for better control and and firmer outer core for faster ball speed, I will say that most shots seemed to be very similar with both balls, but again I liked the tighter flight I saw with the test ball. On hybrid shots into the green the ball seemed to land fairly softly.

Irons: I hit some of the best iron shots that I have seen in months over these 2 rounds, in fact I was over 50% GIR both days which is pretty high for me and I did hit more GIR with the test ball than I did with the RXS. Again off the face the test ball felt great and had a nice sound to it. Stopping power once it hit the green was a little tougher to gage as the course was slightly wet and all shots into the greens were leaving fairly large ball marks and not releasing much at all, so that will be something I have to address in my next review.

Wedges: Nice crisp sound coming off full swings with wedges and the ball danced really well when hitting the greens, but again the greens were wet and I can stop a Top Flite pretty quick on wet greens. Less than full swing shots with the wedges where a thing of beauty....nice controlled ball flight and one hop and stop all day long, again next time out I am hoping for drier conditions to judge greenside spin more accurately.

Putting:
The feel of the test ball coming off the face of my Bettinardi was very nice and the ball held it's line perfectly, I will say however that I had to adjust my speed slightly as it seemed that I was getting about 6-18 inches more rollout off the putter on long putts with the test ball, not sure if that is the firmer outer core or just my lousy putting...something I will keep an eye on over the next few round.

Overall:
I was very happy with the results of the 2 rounds, the test ball was great off the tee and performed fantastic all the way around. I managed to play 36 holes with the same ball which I am pretty sure is a record for me, I made 5 pars in a row at one point and 4 birdies over the 2 rounds. Both rounds were under 85 which makes me happy. I hope to get at least 2 more rounds in over the weekend and hopefully I can talk more about greenside spin at that point. At this point I would say that Bridgestone has improved upon an already amazing product and I can't wait for them to hit the shelves so I can grab a box of the RX model to put in play as well.

As always please feel free to ask any questions of make any comments.

Thanks to THP and Bridgestone for this incredible opportunity.

RE: B330RX - Any early indications on the launch off the tee. I actually prefered the flight of the 2010 model over the 2012 as the newer ball launches a bit too high for me. What are you guys seeing with the 2014 version?

Sorry I missed this earlier buddy....I played the 2012 Model side by side with the new model over the weekend and to the naked eye it seemed to me that the ball flight was slightly lower, but that could be the fact that it really seemed to hold it's line in the wind....on more than one occasion the older model seemed to balloon slightly and was a full 10-12 yards shorter.

The new model also seemed to be a tighter ball flight for me too....a 5-8 yard draw vs a 10-15 yard draw.

Hope that's what you were looking for.

Due in most part to my involvement on THP over the past year, Bridgestone has become one of my favorite golf equipment companies. What they did for us in Vegas was incredible and the involvement I've seen from them at all levels of the sport is just second to none. So, for those reasons, I couldn't be more excited to have this be my first official THP testing experience. As you can see in the photo, I've gone with the all new B330RX.

20140121_232443.jpg

Like others have stated, I thought the letter was a nice touch and the packaging looks awesome. I have not gamed these yet, because I played with other THP members this past weekend and wanted to honor the embargo and not let the cat out of the bag, so to speak. But I thought I'd quickly go over what my thoughts are heading into the test.

I play a mid-level ball. Q-Stars and the Bridgestone E6 are my go-to favorites. I've played urethane-cover "tour" balls in the past and honestly, don't usually like them. I've always felt that less spin with the driver was worth the loss of softness and spin around the greens. I will quantify that by saying that the only tour ball I've ever felt like I hit well is the B330RX on the few occasions that I've played it. I'm not saying that just because I'm testing it either. I've actually played it a few times and that's definitely what led me to make the RX my choice in this test. A big part of my game at the moment is consciously trying to slow my swing down, especially with driver. 95-100 mph is where I find the best results/consistency, so that's another reason the RX made sense to me.

Basically, my objective is to once and for all see if a "tour" ball will work for my game. I've never purchased a full dozen tour balls of any type, so I can't say that I've ever given them an honest, long-term look and that's why I'm really excited about this test. I'll be putting them to the test starting this weekend. Below are the questions I'll be looking to answer:

1. Can I keep the B330RX in play off the tee as well as my normal ball?
2. Will I see a distance gain over what I normally play
3. Will I notice a higher level of spin on approach shots (I generally stop an E6 pretty well on the greens with mid-to-short irons).
4. Am I going to experience an increased level of "touch" around the greens?
5. Will I be able to tell any difference when putting the B330RX compared to other balls I'm familiar with?

Those are just the things I have in my head before even taking them out of the box. I'm hoping that I'll experience things I haven't even considered at this point. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to it! Thanks for reading.

Rocking it with the initial write ups gents. Undoubtedly looking forward to following along with this thread!

Sheet reading many of the reviews about the performance, I'm really excited to get these in the course this weekends.

The new model also seemed to be a tighter ball flight for me too....a 5-8 yard draw vs a 10-15 yard draw.

I experienced this as well, Saturday. I was hitting super tight mid-high draws exactly where I wanted. It threw me off, really, as it was weird to be hitting the shot I wanted to hit for once! :alien:

I could NOT have been happier with my driver game on day one of testing.

I would like to see a picture of these balls cut in half, so if the THP crew at the PGA Show or the people testing these have images, please share.

Thanks,

Here is a bounce test of balls left outside in bellow 32 degrees temps overnight. The '12 ball is on the left, the '14 ball is on the right. Balls bounce approx the same.

Apologies for no sound. Mic issues on my cell phone.

https://vine.co/v/MBOLuzdIEmx

Here is a bounce test of balls left outside in bellow 32 degrees temps overnight. The '12 ball is on the left, the '14 ball is on the right. Balls bounce approx the same.

It looks as if the '12 bounces higher...although this wasn't completely scientific, but thanks for sharing.

You should do a parody of that embarrassing Wilson Staff Duo commercial where he drops the balls and then catches them differently so it looks like the Wilson ball bounces higher.

Some great thoughts already. Love following along.

Just so I have a point of reference, which ball is more similar to the Srixon ZStar XV, the 330 or the 330S?

About me:
To start I would like to say thank you to Bridgestone forthe opportunity to try the new B330 ball. I have played the B330 ball for the past 3 years now; and I love itbecause of its durability and feel.
Initial Thoughts:
The first thing I did after opening up the 2014 B330 wascompare it to the 2012 model. I found three things that have changed on theball. First the dimples seem to be deeper on the 2014 ball. Second the markingson the ball now have alignment arrows on each side of the B330. The thirdchange and the one I am looking forward to trying out is the cover feelsslightly softer when I did the “finger nail” test.
Testing:
I have played two rounds with the new ball and love it. Itis the same great Bridgestone ball with a little added distance and more spinaround the greens.
Driver: Living inHawaii with the winds I play an 8.5* driver so my ball flight is a low to midflight normally. With the new 2014 ball I had a nice mid flight that bored throughthe wind which was about 20MPH both days. Distance seemed the same as normal.
Irons: The 2014ball comes off my irons a lot hotter than the 2012 ball. The first 3 green I eitherflew over or landed on the back of the green. On average I picked up about 6 yardson my irons. The ball also had a differentsound to it. It has a nice crisp pop sound.
Wedges: This isthe one test I really was looking forward too. With the 2012 ball I could getthe ball to stop on a dime, but could never get it to back up. It wouldnormally hit the green and stop within a foot. I have played a few rounds witha Pro V1X and could get the ball to back up a few feet. Love the feeling ofdoing it, and was hoping the new 2014 ball with the softer cover would work. During my rounds I was able to get the ballto back up, and for the most part the cover held up great. I did eat up thecover on a couple of the wedge shots, but no were near as bad a ProVcover. I am very happy with how the ballhandled around the green.
Putting: The feelof the ball coming off the face was great. I could not feel a change betweenthe 2014 and 2012 balls when putting.
Overall: So far Iam very happy with the new ball. The added distance with my Irons was nice, butthe best part was the control around the greens. The ball goes where you wantit and stops hard. The durability of the ball is still great, but with thesofter cover it can be cut with your wedges. The first round I played I did have to changeout the ball because I had two bad cuts from wedge shot, but on my second roundI played the same ball. Like always Bridgestone has turned out another greatproduct.
Please feel free to ask any questions and Thanks for theopportunity.

Some great thoughts already. Love following along.

Just so I have a point of reference, which ball is more similar to the Srixon ZStar XV, the 330 or the 330S?
Taken from the respective web sites...it sounds like the XV and 330 are the Distance balls:

OVERVIEW
The Z-STAR XV is a more distance-oriented tour performance ball which returns less spin off the driver, creating longer, more penetrating ball flights. The ball feels slightly firmer, but does not sacrifice feel and control around the greens. Overall, this ball maximizes its performance when played by golfers who have a driver swing speed greater than 100 mph.

TOUR B330-S Technology
Tour Performance specifically designed for swing speeds above 105 mph seeking maximum TOUR SPIN.

TOUR B330 Technology
Tour Performance specifically designed for swing speeds above 105 mph seeking maximum TOUR DISTANCE.

Taken from the respective web sites...it sounds like the XV and 330 are the Distance balls:

OVERVIEW
The Z-STAR XV is a more distance-oriented tour performance ball which returns less spin off the driver, creating longer, more penetrating ball flights. The ball feels slightly firmer, but does not sacrifice feel and control around the greens. Overall, this ball maximizes its performance when played by golfers who have a driver swing speed greater than 100 mph.

TOUR B330-S Technology
Tour Performance specifically designed for swing speeds above 105 mph seeking maximum TOUR SPIN.

TOUR B330 Technology
Tour Performance specifically designed for swing speeds above 105 mph seeking maximum TOUR DISTANCE.

Agree. B330, XV and V1x supposedly aimed at same golfers

OVERVIEW

TOUR B330-S Technology

TOUR B330 Technology

Awesome, that's what I thought but just wanted to make sure.

I'll try to have a putter sound comparison up this week sometime.

Also, once it warms up, I may venture out and give the B330 a whirl as well.

Good formats in here so I'll follow some of the leads before me:

Bridgestone Tour B330 RXS Ball Testing
Testing: Palm Springs, CA and Scottsdale, AZ (last 2 weeks of January)

Out of the Box:

Nice packaging, balls feels good in the hand, sounds silly but I like a smooth, soft cover, which this ball has achieved.

Plan: Weather in Texas is fine but I’m taking some time away to play in SoCal and AZ so I have a good chance to play this ball under optimal conditions.

So far I have had the ball in play for 4 rounds, 2 balls have been removed from play so far (one was lost, one decided to kiss a cart path and came home battered and bruised)

Driver:

So far I’m not seeing much different from the play I previously played (Chrome+) in terms of distance. I would say dispersion is not quite as good. The sound and feel are all where I’d like them to be but I’m not getting the results I’m accustomed to. Compared against the SuperSoft I recently put into play I’m slightly shorter and not as tight in the dispersion category.

FW’s/Hybrids:

Loss of distance and a bit more sidespin then my previous ball. No complaints on feel I just wonder if I’m compressing the ball enough to get the playing characteristics from it that I need to be successful.

Irons:

Nice soft feel on the irons, trajectory is mid-high (preferred). Spin on landing is better then my previous ball, seeing more drop and stop with minimal roll-out – this is a positive for what I’m hoping to see.

Wedges:

Good responsiveness on the greens, similar to the irons. Not a lot of spin just drop, stop, small roll-out. Feel like I can play to the pin with this ball, this should save strokes over time.

Putting:

Feels great off the putter, with an insert putter and without one. Nice end over end roll with no jumping or skidding. I’m a feel putter and this balls rolls nicely off the stroke I’ve trained.

Initial Conclusions:

Despite great conditions my game is not where I’d like it to be and I’m playing pretty much a new bag tip to tail. The result is that I’m learning with every swing. I’ll have 3 more rounds this week and 6 next week. If all goes well the remaining 10 balls will last through much of that period so I can give it a fair test and report back to y’all.

Much appreciation to THP and Bridgestone for this testing opportunity.

2014 Bridgestone B330 Golf Balls Review - Forum Testing

2014 Bridgestone B330 Golf Balls Review - Forum Testing

NoLine, what is your swing speed? If you are used to the Chrome+ I would think the B330 would be your best bet. The RXS would be shorter and more spinny off the driver IMO.

If your SS is lower you may go for the RX instead and see more distance and tighter drives.

Sorry to my fellow tester for my lack of participation thus far.

I received the B330-RX and great photos have already gone up so I won't rehash that.

Playing both days most likely this weekend and this will be in play, looking forward to sharing my thoughts and contributing to this thread!

I first would like to thank THP and Bridgestone golf for allowing me to test the new Tour B330. Hopefully I will be making my third round of golf this week using this ball. I can say that I have being testing these balls against the Maxfli U2 and Bridgestone e6. I can sah I am gettinf straighter more penetrating ball flights with the Tour B330. I am really loving the ball of the putter and driver faces. Will keep posted and a full write up coming this weekend.

I don't think there's actual water in the core, but water was part of the mixture that makes up the core.

I think Hawk just saved Barry's Balls.

JM

Nevermind, looks like Barry still had to leave his balls on the porch.

JM

Just read through the initial postings. Findings are very promising. Have not received mine yet, but will report back. Hoping for the RX since I'm coming from the Q-Star.

JM

I received the 330s
couple of things I noticed compared to the ProV 1x or Zstar XV is that ball is long and holds line in the wind like a champ.. I played Monday and it was quite windy here in Texas, I know shocking! I was surprised how well the ball held its line.
I also felt that ball sidespin was manageable and would not hook way of target. Don't get me wrong I can still pull it out of bounds with all other premium balls but on solid shots the draw was a nice flight that you would hope.
Sound was a nice muted click on both pitches and putts and ball stopped like a champ.
This is one I would definitely game! Plan on testing further this weekend as long as weather lets me

Also a very durable ball.. Cover didn't show any abuse at all even on short shots with high spin

I will reserve a more thorough review for later after I get a full round of golf or two with them.
But I will say, I did some practice putting and really enjoyed the ball.

It had a great feel to it for me. I can't really explain it, it just felt good.
We all know the more confidence you have in something the better it performs which in turn builds more confidence.
And so far, the confidence is building, at least with the putter for now. Looking forward to hearing the other reviews
and posting my own thoughts.

Back