Push, Pull, or Speed?

Trout Bum

Regional Rival
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What's your miss with the putter? For the last season I've mostly been missing putts with a slight pull and can't seem to fix it.

What's your miss with the putter? Push? Pull? or Speed?

All if the above. It's unfortunate. I feel like I have a good stroke. Just botch speed and line.

Maybe one push or pull per round with plenty of putts that are too hard or too soft. So for me it is Speed.

edit: More about Speed. It is a problem on breaking putts for me since amount of break depends on speed. I don't get many straight putts thus if I miss it is usually speed.

Last edited:
My current issue is just picking the right line. Working on aiming a little on the high side a bit more to eliminate what my instuctor calls a 2 way miss.

My MAJOR miss is speed. Sometimes I smack the crap out of it. So it's not like I didn't know how hard to hit it, for some reason the club just hits it too far!

Normally, I think it's a push.

I set up a little open to the hole so if I don't focus on the stroke I pull it just enough to miss. During the shoulder seasons of spring and winter I tend to just screw up the line as I struggle with pace.

My misses are typically due to incorrect line. The eyes aren't what they were 5 years ago! I feel like most of my putts are well stroked and struck with very few pushes or pulls and normally at a good speed.

Usually when I get tight I tend to not release the putter head which causes me to start pushing my putts.

Unfortunately, all of them. I need practice reading greens and more experience with fast greens. The muni I frequent has slow bumpy greens.

Speed, for sure. I tend to aim pretty well, but suffer from the dreaded short putt WAY too often.

Speed on lag putts and pushes on shorter putts.

What's your miss with the putter?

I never miss :)

Yea right! but I cant say one area or another. Most of my misses are wrong line and speed. And a lot of that is due to just being stupid or lazy for not taking the extra efforts to look at putts from the other side to see and get a better feel for the angles and steepness. Only after I walk towards the cup I can often then say to myself "wow, that hill, or slope didn't seem this drastic" and then just kick myself for not further investigating it prior.

I miss left. Have a tendency to close the putter face.

Pull or speed - I very rarely have a push miss with the putter. If I do, then something is terribly wrong haha

Speed. I'm a good or some say, great, lag putter but get the speed just off enough to miss way too many inside of 15 feet.

If I miss a short (inside 6') putt, assuming I had the correct read but not the correct stroke, it's typically a pull. The longer "makeable" putts (6'-12' or so) I tend to leave short. If I miss because of a poor read it's typically on the high side.

My miss is usually a leaving it a little short or a pull.

My most consistent miss is speed, 9 times out of 10 misses it is short.

I tend to push putts when I miss, I have a strong arc, so I can get a little slow releasing the putter at impact.

My miss is usually a slight push. I sometimes take the putter back on too much of an inside path.

Push, usually.

At my home course it's speed because the greens are very slow, but I can read them with my eyes closed. Outside of my home course, it'd have to be a push as I open the face sometimes as my natural putting stroke (like Gary Player no less).

Back