JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I am quickly becoming a big fan of these little cameras. Spent some time with the folks at GoPro this week at the PGA Show and the features on some of these devices for specific uses are outstanding. This thread is not GoPro specific mind you, as we use a JVC currently, but who uses one of these and if you are considering it, what features jump out at you?

I wish I had one, specifically a high fps camera for capturing my golf swing. A buddy has a go pro and I liked it, but not sure if I could justify the cost at this point.

I just ordered a GoPro Black+ with my CES coupon and I am stoked to get it and start using it. Freddie used one the other day to record my swing.

• Admin
I just ordered a GoPro Black+ with my CES coupon and I am stoked to get it and start using it. Freddie used one the other day to record my swing.

They were handing out that same coupon at the show (for signing up). Lots of people took advantage.

Have the GoPro cameras improved on their ability to capture a golf swing? I've heard that as a criticism of some of their cameras in the past, but admittedly, I'm not well-versed in the features of these types of cameras. Having a small camera that I could clip onto my golf bag to give me good video of my swing (120 fps or higher) would be awesome, and better than my current cellphone.

Have the GoPro cameras improved on their ability to capture a golf swing? I've heard that as a criticism of some of their cameras in the past, but admittedly, I'm not well-versed in the features of these types of cameras. Having a small camera that I could clip onto my golf bag to give me good video of my swing (120 fps or higher) would be awesome, and better than my current cellphone.

The GoPro Black+ can do up to 240FPS.

Coupon? How good was said coupon?

I'm happy with my Casio ex-fc100. Photo quality isn't the greatest, but the ability to do 210,420,1000 FPS is great for checking out the swing.

We use cameras skiing, so having a mic that can deal with the wind effectively is key. Haven't played with too many, but that's definitely a key for us.

I am dumb on this stuff, is it video only or can you use it for pictures as well?

Yep. You can pull still imaged from the video.

Just started playing with my HTC one, it does 768x432 @96fps which is just fine for my needs at the moment but would consider a dedicated device if I start using it more.

Ordered a mini tripod with clamp so I don't have to balance it my shoe at the range!!

fupresti, I wonder if the booth was identical at both shows. Same guys were there and he said he was just at CES.
Im still debating if its worth the upgrade for me. Im not in love with our JVC, but it does okay.
The black + you got is outstanding from what I can tell.

FWIW, I wont use it for the golf swing, but for a few other things we have in mind

Love GoPro. I have the Hero Black, Hero 2, an original 1080 Hero. Awesome cameras with loads of possibilities. I use them for my Jeep adventures. I have about 5 mounts in different locations on my Jeep.
Here's one of my videos.

My buddy has some he clips on when atving or jetskiing or water boarding, whatever. They are neat.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

fupresti, I wonder if the booth was identical at both shows. Same guys were there and he said he was just at CES.
Im still debating if its worth the upgrade for me. Im not in love with our JVC, but it does okay.
The black + you got is outstanding from what I can tell.

FWIW, I wont use it for the golf swing, but for a few other things we have in mind

To be honest I was planning on using it for other stuff, but the golf thing was just a bonus. I am thinking about picking this up as well for more traditional type shooting.

http://www.amazon.com/Steadicam-SMOOTHEE-GPROHRO-Smoothee-GoPro-Mount/dp/B005WP3IE8

Very cool. We have quite a few video recorders that we will always use when good stuff is needed like our new Sony, but for traveling, these new ones are great.

I have the Gopro silver and a few attachments to go along with it. The pics are vivid and the videos are stellar. I'm planning on using for a few holes tomorrow during my round.

Comparing all the features is rather amusing. Talk about tons of models.

I'm wondering what 4k at 15fps is going to really look like.

I'm wondering what 4k at 15fps is going to really look like.

Based on what I saw today, not great. In fact I thought the previous version at that res (well half of it) looked better.

Based on what I saw today, not great. In fact I thought the previous version at that res (well half of it) looked better.

What resolution do you think really hit the mark? I know it does 1080p at 60fps, but curious what you really likes.

Back