Callaway X2 Hot & X2 Hot Pro Irons Preview

Good feedback Hawk.

I've 6 rounds in on the regular XHot's and have just started to dial them in. The distance claims are accurate and I've definitely been over clubbing until the last 2 rounds. What I really like is that the trajectory doesn't balloon, it's mid-high on a flatter trajectory which when I get back into windy conditions should bode well for my game. The soles are thinner then lasts years model and find that the club frames the ball better then the XHot's and for me this instills greater confidence. Looking forward to continuing to get to know these clubs, they've been fun to play so far.

Would love to have a go with the standard 2Hots one of these days. I'm with you in that the ball isn't super high, but enough to carry well. Not a super spinny ball for me, so hopefully I see good things in the wind as well. Spring is a bear here.

Would love to have a go with the standard 2Hots one of these days. I'm with you in that the ball isn't super high, but enough to carry well. Not a super spinny ball for me, so hopefully I see good things in the wind as well. Spring is a bear here.

That is when a mid-flat trajectory really shines

Great thoughts there Hawk on those Irons. I know your using the x2hot pro's and you mention you were hitting off the toe and getting 4-5mph off on those. Any idea on what you think just the X2hots's would do differently compared to the x2hot pro's? I know you dont have both but didn't know if you think you would see better numbers with the miss hits.

Hearing the flatter trajectory they produce is really great. Admittedly, a good shaft pairing has a lot to do with it, but that's something I'd really like to see from my next set of irons.

Have had a handful of practice sessions using the X2Hots and feel like I can speak a little bit more about them now.

I'll say right now that I chose these for a few reasons. 1) I hit them better or as well as anything else available 2) They offered distance in a package that looked good. Yes I'm vain too :) 3) They offered decent off-center performance for the profile 4) I thought they felt really nice at impact.

The big thing was they were the best looking and best performing irons. A perfect combo for me. I didn't feel like I gained much with the Apex and I liked how these set up better. Should be noted that I'm talking looks at address rather than the cavity. The cavity is not among the prettiest I've seen.

Practice session Saturday was laughable. I hadn't done much all week and it showed. I popped some impact tape on the face of the 7 iron and literally turned the entire toe-side of the tape black. Ugh. Irons are very responsive in that I didn't need the tape to know what the hell was going on. Not harsh though, which was appreciated. Still, pretty disappointing. My tempo was terrible and I was just in toe city.

So, I got the orange whip and swung that thing for awhile on Sunday before hitting balls and it was like night and day. Also moved forward a bit on the advice of a trusted friend, which also helped substantially. Irons really came alive for me after that. Not that you all needed a backstory, but it does help set up the fact that I really got to test out forgiveness over the two days :)

I hit them a little farther than the 588 CB's, which are probably the most similar irons I have to them visually. I will say that the cavity on the X2Hots, though filled with that polymer or whatever it is, is deeper than the CB's though. Toe performance is better with the 2Hots. Lost 4-5mph ball speed on toe hits, or should I say I gained 4-5mph ball speed on center strikes hehehe? Around 113 in the center and 108-109 on the toe.Turned the ball over pretty good with those toe balls, which resulted in left misses, as is common with me. Still moved the ball left when I was on the center like I'd expect, but not as much. Distances were mid 160's in the center, mid 150's on the toe, so perfectly acceptable. Will note that the same miss with the 588's was often in the low 150's or less on the toe miss compared to center, so in all - a more forgiving/longer iron in a somewhat similar looking package at address. Numbers were consistent with the quality of strike I had. No surprising results.

Again, I think many will overlook these in favor of the Apex Pro line, but I'd at least recommend hitting them first.

You talk about overlooking due to the apex pros... Not over the standard apex, or just a note on the other Callaway line?

I think it's awesome the x2hot are performing for you.. From my perspective as a consumer, I really haven't seen much on them from an advertising standpoint.

Great thoughts there Hawk on those Irons. I know your using the x2hot pro's and you mention you were hitting off the toe and getting 4-5mph off on those. Any idea on what you think just the X2hots's would do differently compared to the x2hot pro's? I know you dont have both but didn't know if you think you would see better numbers with the miss hits.

Hard to say buddy, but my guess is they'd be a little better.

You talk about overlooking due to the apex pros... Not over the standard apex, or just a note on the other Callaway line?

I think it's awesome the x2hot are performing for you.. From my perspective as a consumer, I really haven't seen much on them from an advertising standpoint.

They've been pretty heavily advertised during Golf broadcasts the last couple weeks surrounding the launch, but that's about the only advertising I've seen recently.

For me, the X2HP's are sort of a tweener set between the Apex and the Apex Pros. Similar profile to the Pros, but similar distance (for me) to the normal Apex. I think those looking for this type of profile will be naturally drawn to the Pros just because they are so good looking, but for me these offered more distance and a better result all around when I demoed them.

They've been pretty heavily advertised during Golf broadcasts the last couple weeks surrounding the launch, but that's about the only advertising I've seen recently.

For me, the X2HP's are sort of a tweener set between the Apex and the Apex Pros. Similar profile to the Pros, but similar distance (for me) to the normal Apex. I think those looking for this type of profile will be naturally drawn to the Pros just because they are so good looking, but for me these offered more distance and a better result all around when I demoed them.

i was pretty set on the Apex pro's, almost pull the trigger Friday, but now I am thinking maybe X2 Hot Pro's

i was pretty set on the Apex pro's, almost pull the trigger Friday, but now I am thinking maybe X2 Hot Pro's

I'd at least try them and see. I know that they won't be for everybody, but I liked them the best out of the other options in the 2014 line.

The X2H Pros are very solid. I really hope people don't sleep on these.

Hawk, was distance the main decider for you or did you also see better accuracy/dispersion or forgiveness with the X2HPs?

Hawk, was distance the main decider for you or did you also see better accuracy/dispersion or forgiveness with the X2HPs?

No it wasn't, but it was a big part. I just hit them better than the others in general. More consistent contact, better dispersion, everything. I'd have taken the Apex if that wasn't the case, but for me they just performed better that day for whatever reason. The fact that they had the distance was kind of the final selling point. I didn't give anything up and was a bit surprised. I didn't have my eye on them at all really.

Callaway was hitting the commercials pretty hard through the final round of the Farmers' yesterday on the X2hot line. My wife even said, "Why are they playing these commercials so much." I didn't know if that's the type of advertising you were talking about though

I am really torn between the Apex and the X2Hot Pros right now. I hit both of them very well, and I like how both of them set up. If I would have to make a decision right now, I would probably go with Apex, just because I have been used to hitting a forged iron for the last year, but I am completely open to the X2hots if the numbers point me that way. I'm glad to hear good things about them. Thanks Hawk!

No problemo sir. I think you'll inevitably give up a little forgiveness, but they seem pretty good in relation to the way they look.

I am really torn between the Apex and the X2Hot Pros right now. I hit both of them very well, and I like how both of them set up. If I would have to make a decision right now, I would probably go with Apex, just because I have been used to hitting a forged iron for the last year, but I am completely open to the X2hots if the numbers point me that way. I'm glad to hear good things about them. Thanks Hawk!

Funny, I'm all about hitting the X2Hots, mostly because I really like the look and I feel like, coming from my TM Burners, that will be the smoothest transition. I think knowing the first time I'll hit my clubs will be at The Morgan Cup might be influencing that a little bit. I'd rather not look down at something that's going to look foreign or not frame the ball the way I'm used to right before the Ultimate Golf Event!

They finally arrived!!!! I cannot wait to get these on the course!!! So stoked!!!
u8agyjyt.jpg
udapy4a7.jpg
sa7enaje.jpg

They finally arrived!!!! I cannot wait to get these on the course!!! So stoked!!!
u8agyjyt.jpg
udapy4a7.jpg
sa7enaje.jpg

Looking good!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Nice looking bag there. Those clubs look great.

Great looking see up. Look forward to seeing you hit these @ Lake Charles.

Sweet looking bag Paul - lots of luck with them. Loving my regular X2Hot setup right now.

Looking good Paul!

Since its raining here today. I am going to go to the PGA SS and really put these through the test since I have some time. Excited.

u8agyjyt.jpg
udapy4a7.jpg
sa7enaje.jpg

looking good Paul! I know you probably touched on it in the Granddaddy thread, but can you talk a little bit about how you ended up with this combo?

Back