TaylorMade SLDR Fairway Wood - THP Review Thread

Tonight or tomorrow night I will be sitting down to write a review of the last 8 days of straight playing. I have hit well over 500 range balls with the 5W alone to test it.

Cannot wait to read more about these as I ponder which lofts and woods to play. Thank you all for the time you are putting in

KG

Just Tapping Away

After 8 straight days of playing I have finally come to the conclusion that this is a FW that requires patience and the ability to deal with bad shots over and over again. When I started the testing with this club I had a great "honeymoon" with it, every shot looked and felt good.

Once that wore off it was just like with the driver, the smallest mistakes with you swing showed up big time with the shape and distance of you shot. Unlike the previous lines (i.e. RBZ) I could not just "grip and rip", I had to take my time and put a smooth swing on the club, really paying attention to my tempo. The club inspires confidence though, when you hit this beauty on the screws it delivers a solid, slightly metallic thump and before your head gets around to see the ball path you know it is striped! Now on to what everyone wants to know about, the performance. I have again broke it down into a couple different sections that you would encounter on the course.

Off the tee she performs just like you would expect any TMaG wood to perform. Tee the ball up just off the ground and set the ball just a little forward in your stance, keep your head down and you will be rewarded with a beautiful mid height ball flight that just penetrates out, climbs and falls flat with little roll out. I did not hit on a LM but judging from the height of the trees around me I would estimate about 80-100 ft in height off the tee. I did practice on the range with trying to flight the ball down to keep it under the wind and was able to get the ball down and hit bullets about 45 ft high but was not able to control it as well. I found it very easy to work the ball in both directions off the tee, more easily to the fade side than the draw side, most of that because my normal flight is a fade shot. My distance with my R11s 5W was normally in the 215 range off the tee and with the SLDR I am pushing out to around 225 all in all a great improvement over my old club.

Off the deck again this is a great club. I was able to get the ball up quickly and easily taking just a small divot. I did have to set the ball back just slightly from where I would on the tee to get a clean strike on it. Off the deck I did see lower ball flights, climbing to around 70-80 feet and rolling out at most 2-3 foot on well hit shots. If I didn't catch it clean the ball was rolling out a good bit and two or three times right off the back of the green. I tried to switch between sweeping the ball and actually hitting down into it more and taking a small divot, and I got better results hitting down into the ball. It is most likely just a product of my swing but I found a lot of tops and thin balls trying to sweep the ball off the deck. Again I was able to work the ball easily to the fade side off the deck but for the life of me could not get more than a 5 to 10 yard draw off the deck. I mean just enough of one that you could tell it was moving to the left but not enough to admire. There was still distance gains here over my old club but it was less noticeable than off the tee with my GPS readings averaging about 5 yards more landing in the 215 range.

I spent a lot of time working on hitting out of the rough here as there is really not such thing at my courses in Yuma. To be completely fair to the club I have to say I really don't have much experience hitting out of it and was learning along the way. This experience really gave me a new appreciation for hitting it in the fairway. The first cut of rough was barely a challenge and the only thing that made it a penalty was the fact that the ball would not stop on the green, but would just skip across the green. I never noticed the club wanting to close down in the first cut but the primary rough was a different story! When the ball was sitting down in this thick, chewy stuff it was very hard to get a good solid strike on it. I was able to get the ball out of the rough and out about 190-200 yards but you had to really hit down on the ball. I don't know how well sweeper type of swings will work in this situation. I did hit a quite a few slices when practicing these shots and again most likely just my swing and not the product of the club.

My swing is not the greatest but I feel that I might represent a majority of average hackers out there that play normal weekend golf. For me, this club has been a performer and a performance enhancer. She has earned a spot in my bag for a time to come and I have been telling everyone I know about it. My buddy tried to walk off with it two weeks ago twice and I every time I hit it I just get a smile on my face.

As always, I am standing by for any questions you might have.

Mayday.....
Do you feel the added weight in the stock shaft helped with control?

Also, Did you play with the settings much? Curious if they affect the playability as much on the woods as they do the driver

KG

Just Tapping Away

I witnessed J4U hammer 15° sldr head with matrix 8q3 x flex 290 off the deck today. The sim was set to sea level. That sim had me hitting my 6i about 200 which is accurate. It was jaw dropping

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Mayday.....
Do you feel the added weight in the stock shaft helped with control?

Also, Did you play with the settings much? Curious if they affect the playability as much on the woods as they do the driver

KG

Just Tapping Away

Short answer, yes. The extra weight in the shaft helped to offset the heavy head of the SLDR. I think with a lighter shaft the club head would want to get around quicker on your and cause a bunch of pulls or tops. The total weight just lets you swing it smooth and know there is some heft behind your swing to get the ball going.

The only setting to move was just the loft +/- 1.5 degrees. I did move it the loft both ways and found better control at the +1.5 (20.5*) than stock and alittle more stopping power on the green. At the -1.5(17.5*) I was noticeably fading the ball more than at stock. I did enjoy the little extra roll and distance off the tee but I just could not set up closed enough to take advantage of it because it just felt wrong and not comfortable to me.

TaylorMade SLDR Fairway Wood - THP Review Thread

Quick update after two rounds of golf the last couple of days. Been struggling with this one off the tee for some reason. Been fighting the worm burners the times I've pulled it. Had one really nice shot though that was pretty close to my buddy's drive. To be fair my driver has been a little off as well, so definitely the indian.

Still have three more rounds on this trip so I'll work it out. Thinking about turning it up to 15.5 for tomorrow's round to see if that helps any. Full write up after the trip.

Quick update after two rounds of golf the last couple of days. Been struggling with this one off the tee for some reason. Been fighting the worm burners the times I've pulled it. Had one really nice shot though that was pretty close to my buddy's drive. To be fair my driver has been a little off as well, so definitely the indian.

Still have three more rounds on this trip so I'll work it out. Thinking about turning it up to 15.5 for tomorrow's round to see if that helps any. Full write up after the trip.

I can't imagine worm burners with these woods.
Can't wait to read your write up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't imagine worm burners with these woods.
Can't wait to read your write up.

Yeah it's definitely me. Played it at 15.5 today. Had a couple good tee shots. Was cold but I was still able to squeak out 220ish with it. Used it off the deck as well on a couple. One was a little off the toe which cost me some yardage but was still well in play. Other was well struck. Got a nice mid high shot with a little draw that got me some rollout on a long par 5. Swing was a little rough today so those we're pretty good results IMO.

I have been checking in on the thread but haven't been getting in a lot of testing so far this year. We have had some fairly bad weather off and on and I also had a sinus infection I had to fight off. I have played 3 different times and also a round of flog (golf spelt backwards) with Ole Gray in the worse conditions I have played in in quite a while.

The SLDR 3 wood is still an enigma for me. I have hit some beauties with this club but the frequency is woefully on the low percentage side. Still most of the good shots are off of the tee as I only seem to hit 1 or 2 out of every 10 well off of the deck. Still thinking a shaft change may make a huge difference, I am tinkering with an A flex shaft in my driver this winter and seeing some promising results. I may have to pick up a shaft an adapter and see what difference a shaft change will make. I still think this is an awesome looking wood and am trying to become friends but it would be hard to play it right now when I really needed to pull off a good shot.

I have had 3 more people try this wood, all seniors and not a one has handed it back and said "I need to get one of those." I do find that interesting as all three have a slightly higher swing speed than I but they each hit sub average shots. Hopefully the weather will warm and some of these fairways will dry and I can put the SLDR through to better paces. Here is a link to my last review and inside it is a link to my past links if you would like to click through each post. http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...eview-Thread&p=2673136&viewfull=1#post2673136

Please feel free to provide any feedback and ask any questions you may have.

Last edited:
I hit a TS with a Speeder in it today at Ultimate Testing and the ball flight and feel were fantastic. Good strong lofted ball flight. I have trouble with the 3 woods but off the tee I was impressed and think I am going to have to start looking at it seriously.

So I didn't write this review directly after getting back as I wanted some time to think about what I'm seeing with the tour spoon here lately. I am generally a streaky player, and my success with a 3W off the deck is a little touch and go. That said, I've generally had some good success off the tee. This weekend was 5 rounds of golf, and was sort of an abbreviated up & down cycle for me with this club.

14˚ setting

Started the weekend with the club set at standard, 14˚. Consistently struggled off the tee, hitting mostly worm burners in my first two rounds. Never really think about hitting a low lofted 3W off the deck, so that didn't come into play. This was definitely a swing issue. Unfortunately it cropped up at the same time as a driver swing issue, so I was all over the place. Once it got bad, I had some trouble shaking it off to be quite honest. I did have a couple good shots off the tee (teed up a little more than usual due to my misses). One was on day 1, when it was a little colder. I'd put it right around 220-230ish. The second was on the back 9 of the second day. Everything came together and I caught it pure, putting the ball a good 230-240 out there. When we got out to our balls, my cart partner was dismayed to see my 3W shot sitting next to his drive. I think that in the warmer months I would see more runout as the fairways we played the first two days were fairly wet in a lot of spots, so there's a lot of potential for some serious distance if I can get my swing worked out in the long run. Once this white stuff melts somewhat, I'll be hitting the range to try and work everything out. Ok. Enough about my swing issues. :D

15.5˚ setting

For the next three rounds, I decided to give myself a little bit of a break and crank the loft up to 15.5˚ which should close the face down some as well. Results here were positive. On well struck shots, I was seeing around 220ish. Again, something I imagine improving in warmer weather. This time around though I was also seeing a healthy draw, with my miss being a snap hook. Same as my driver. With a setup closer to what I'm used to, this was actually kind of a relief, as at least I was able to get the ball in play a little more confidently. Had minimal issues off the tee in the last three rounds. Other than a couple snap hooks when I got too quick, only one of which cost me a penalty, I was able to play safe on holes that were dangerous for driver.

On the fourth round (and one of the nicest days) I decided to bring my old RBZ Stage 2 with me as well for comparison. Hit two off a couple of tees. I thought the distance was comparable, with the slight edge going to the Stage 2. Directional consistency was about the same. For some reason I drew the SLDR a bit more than the S2. Not sure exactly why that is, but wanted to mention it. Keep in mind that I was playing the SLDR at 15.5˚ versus the stock RBZ S2 3W at 15˚. Launch on the S2 was a little bit higher. Don't know if should be attributed to the lighter shaft, but it was noticeable.

Off the deck. I'm not a big 3W off the deck guy these days, but figured I'd give it a few rips to see how it worked out. First was off the matted rough on a par 4 where I left myself short on a pushed drive. 220 to a front-middle pin. Tried to put a smooth swing on it, but ended up catching it out on the toe. Knew immediately as I felt a bit of a shudder when I hit it, which was a first for me in a long time. Ended up with a high weak draw that ended about 20 yards short of the green.

Topped one on a longer par 5. This is my issue with 3Ws off the deck, so nothing new here. :banghead: Ended up lacing a 5W over the water hazard and 3-putting for bogey. D'oh! There was another one of these somewhere, but I don't remember the details.

On another par 5 (a little warmer day) was about 220 to the pin in the fairway. Swing smooth and ended a little above pin high after a big bounce. Just pushed it right about 10 yards so I had to scramble for a bogey. This may have been the most rewarding shot of the week with this club for me. Was nice to know that I can hit one of these, even if it's only every once in a while.
Overall

I love the look of this club. I think the smaller head shape says 'I mean business'. The shaft pairing seems to work well, as is slows me down and helps keep me in tempo, when I can get out of my own danged way. The face is hot and I expect to see some decent distance gains once we get back into the warmer 60-70˚+ weather. I would not bill this as the most forgiving option out there, but I didn't really expect it to be. You will lose distance if you don't catch the ball in the center.

My performance on this trip has let me to question some of my setup decisions. Wondering if going with a strong fairway wood is the right decision for my game right now. My mind isn't made up yet though. I'll be getting a good amount of range time in here as the weather permits. Going to work on my swing and likely take a few visits to my instructor. Once everything is where I want it, I'll go from there. Expect to hit this club a ton during that time.

Hope this wasn't too rambling. Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Bumping back to the top. I can't believe there is no more interest in these clubs. I haven't been out since I got back due to work, but will be writing again soon.

Tappin away

Bumping back to the top. I can't believe there is no more interest in these clubs. I haven't been out since I got back due to work, but will be writing again soon.

Tappin away

I thought these woods were pretty decent but nothing that would make me trade in my jpx's. I wouldn't mind trying them at a real range. I found the head at address to look a little cheesy.

Tappin away

Same here. Work & associated travel have kept me away from anywhere to hit, but plan on getting out when I get back.

Would like to thank the Testers for putting this one through its paces on the course and range. Some great info shared in here, and we appreciate the feedback you guys have shared.

Forum Testing for this one is complete, but feel free to continue sharing your thoughts and results with the SLDR Fairway wood.

Would like to thank the Testers for putting this one through its paces on the course and range. Some great info shared in here, and we appreciate the feedback you guys have shared.

Forum Testing for this one is complete, but feel free to continue sharing your thoughts and results with the SLDR Fairway wood.

Now that the testing is over I am going to put in a regular flex shaft and give it a try, I think that might just be the ticket for me on this one.
Thank you again TMaG and THP for allowing me to test the SLDR 3 wood.

DSC_0853-L.jpg

Great review, as always Jman. I haven't gotten a chance to see this in person yet, but the pictures leave me a little confused. It doesn't look too big at address (from the top), but the photos from the bottom make it look like a boat to me. Is this an optical illusion due to the graphics/ paint scheme on the bottom as compared to the top?

Great review, as always Jman. I haven't gotten a chance to see this in person yet, but the pictures leave me a little confused. It doesn't look too big at address (from the top), but the photos from the bottom make it look like a boat to me. Is this an optical illusion due to the graphics/ paint scheme on the bottom as compared to the top?

Illusion, it's a nicely sized fairway

This was an interesting, and a little bit humbling testing for me for sure. Still have some reps to get in, and I'll continue to update the thread.

I played with this some more yesterday, I averaged around 280 (tee'd up) on about 15 swings with my best shot being 292 and worst being 254. This may end up being purchased and thrown in the bag:banghead:. Really considering never using driver again at this point. Swing speeds was between 102 and 104 and a few down in the 99 area.

Went to the range today to work on my tee game specifically after some questionable shots a couple weeks ago. Took the SLDR out along with the Stage 2 to compare. I liked the stage 2 when I played it earlier this year, so thought it would be a good comparison.

Mainly hit this one off the tee today. Playing it at 14˚ I was seeing a little more yardage than the Stage 2. I was actually seeing a higher ball flight than I was with the stage 2 15˚, which I thought was odd. I'll be putting this one back in play tomorrow, so should have some more info then.

Just for ol times sake, the 3Deep made it to the range today. She was happy to be back out there.
SLDR was doing it's best to maintain it's spot in the bag.

So got out to the range again yesterday and spent some more time with the tour spoon. Figured out why I was hitting it higher than the Stage 2 the day prior. I had it set on 15.5! :bulgy-eyes: Duh. Still impressive that I was seeing better distance than the stage 2, as that was pretty long for me last year.

Cranked it down to 14˚ and took some swings with it. Was seeing the same mid-high laser with a little bit of a fade on it that I was seeing in the beginning. Think this would be long with some rollout, but in the current conditions, carry is so much more important, so I would play it at 15.5 if I was going to go out tomorrow. Had some time and cranked this one down all the way to 12.5˚. Had to tee the ball up and take more of a driver swing at it to get any sort of reasonable height. Some pretty strong left to right action as well, but I kind of expected that when I changed the loft to that low. Was fun to mess with, but not something I would game regularly.

Just wanted to say thanks again to THP and TaylorMade for this testing. I had some preconceptions about my tee game going in, and this testing forced me to take a second look. Don't know which direction I'm going to go this year, but the fact that I play a 12˚ driver in itself seems to indicate that I could use some more loft in my first FW.

I've been thinking about this for a bit and decided this morning that I would like to do something a little different now that the official testing is over.

I would like to pass this club on to another THP'er for review. I'm doing this for a couple of reasons. First, is that I think this is a good line of fairway woods that more people should be exposed to and I think that another opinion could help that. Second, after being turned away at two courses yesterday and the next two weeks looking like Polar Vortex 2.0, I'm not sure that I'll get in the rounds that I want for my feedback any time soon. So, I'd like to pass this onto someone who can continue the chain of feedback here.

Couple of pre-requisites. You have to be able to play golf or go to the range enough to provide regular feedback. Indoor (really want to check out a dome or sim league one day) or outdoor, does not matter to me. Albatross Club members only. Not doing this out of any sort of elitism or anything like that, it's just a way for me to gauge that you're invested in the community here.

The club that I was lucky enough to test is the TaylorMade SLDR Tour Spoon. Check it out on their site as it is not the standard 3W offering. It comes with a stock loft of 14˚ that can be adjusted 1.5˚ in either direction. Club comes with the head cover but no wrench, so if you would like it set on something other than the stock setting when I ship it please let me know. Only modification on this club is the grip. I put on an NDMC Blue Whiteout, +2 wraps.

Please PM me directly if you're interested. This is a first come, first serve sort of deal so I don't have to play the judge. :D

Back