100 Best Modern Players

bobgeorge

Kentucky Wildcat Fan!
Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone see the Golf World magazine article on 100 Best Modern Players.

http://www.golfworldmagazine.com/golfworld/20140203?sub_id=5Jn0hhUjfPau&folio=34#pg49

Some of the criteria included:

- Top performers since 1980
- Formula rewarded weekly performance & gave the majors 50% more
- Formula highlighted players best golf
- It only covered the US tour

Top 3 were Tiger, Shark, & Phil. Tiger had 9 of the top 11 greatest years.

Thoughts?

Sounds about right actually.

I think it is a good measurement, with the date range that is given, I think it is hard to argue with the top five. Also think it is amazing that Jack was fourth with only six years not in his prime used.

At first I thought Rory in front of Faldo was insane, but after seeing the actual numbers, I see it now.

It's actually a pretty smart way of conducting stats.

I think it is a good measurement, with the date range that is given, I think it is hard to argue with the top five. Also think it is amazing that Jack was fourth with only six years not in his prime used.

Agree. Shows how great Jack was.

Kind of like now...everyone talks about what Tiger is NOT...but he is still #1 in the world.

That link says it's a restricted site. Gotta be a subscriber.

Interesting...Andy Bean? Really?

Drives home just how good Tiger's best (and Norman's best, majors notwithstanding) golf really was. And Norman fared well without his international play figured into it.

The top 25 are:

1-Tiger
2-Shark
3-Phil
4-Jack
5-Vijay Singh
6-Ernie Els
7-Tom Watson
8-David Duval
9-Rory McIroy
10-Nick Faldo
11-Seve Ballesteros
12-Tom kite
13-Jim Furyk
14-Nick Price
15-Fred Couples
16-Curtis Strange
17-Reteif Goosen
18-Davis Love III
19-Raymond Floyd
20-Tom Lehman
21-Sergio Garcia
22-Adam Scott
23-Payne Stewart
24-Andy Bean
25-Luke Donald

Based upon this list...makes you wonder why Freddie Couples is in the HoF and why Payne Stewart gets so much hype.

David Duval cracks me up.

100 Best Modern Players

The top 25 are:

1-Tiger
2-Shark
3-Phil
4-Jack
5-Vijay Singh
6-Ernie Els
7-Tom Watson
8-David Duval
9-Rory McIroy
10-Nick Faldo
11-Seve Ballesteros
12-Tom kite
13-Jim Furyk
14-Nick Price
15-Fred Couples
16-Curtis Strange
17-Reteif Goosen
18-Davis Love III
19-Raymond Floyd
20-Tom Lehman
21-Sergio Garcia
22-Adam Scott
23-Payne Stewart
24-Andy Bean
25-Luke Donald

Based upon this list...makes you wonder why Freddie Couples is in the HoF and why Payne Stewart gets so much hype.

Payne gets credit because he won three majors and was arguably the best American golfer in the late 80s and 90s

Last edited:
David Duval cracks me up.

Duval was incredibly awesome. When considering "modern era", there is no way to have a serious conversation on great golfers, and not include him.

I have no clue how Vijay is that high... His career just doesn't stand out as better than Seve, Watson, Faldo or Payne....

Duval was incredibly awesome. When considering "modern era", there is no way to have a serious conversation on great golfers, and not include him.

Agree to disagree. He had a few good years and 1 major victory. When I think greatest, I think of more prolonged success and impact to the game. But then again, I wasn't watching a ton of golf back then so I'm going off sheer stats and not "real time" in the moment impact.

Perhaps his struggles since the Open win have cast his career in a different light for me.

I have no clue how Vijay is that high... His career just doesn't stand out as better than Seve, Watson, Faldo or Payne....

I think Vijay deserves to be higher than Payne Stewart with little debate, but that's just me. Hard to throw him ahead of Watson(5 majors after 1980), Faldo(6 from 87-96). Him and Seve would be a good debate from 1980 on.

I like lists like these. Can lead to interesting discussion

I think Vijay deserves to be higher than Payne Stewart with little debate, but that's just me. Hard to throw him ahead of Watson(5 majors after 1980), Faldo(6 from 87-96). Him and Seve would be a good debate from 1980 on.

I like lists like these. Can lead to interesting discussion

I guess I'm coming from not really being impressed with his style of play. Not having stats in front of me I'm coming from watching these guys and feel like The others had the intangibles that Vijay doesn't have/show. I will agree his longevity alone is impressive, but feel all the others built a better career.

As far as better than Payne I think there might be more than a little debate. Payne taken from us way too soon & feel like he would have stayed on the winning course had he been around.

How is Vijay a better golfer than Tom Watson?

100 Best Modern Players

I guess I'm coming from not really being impressed with his style of play. Not having stats in front of me I'm coming from watching these guys and feel like The others had the intangibles that Vijay doesn't have/show. I will agree his longevity alone is impressive, but feel all the others built a better career.

As far as better than Payne I think there might be more than a little debate. Payne taken from us way too soon & feel like he would have stayed on the winning course had he been around.

Don't forget that Vijay has 3 majors. I hate to hold Payne's death against him. But the list is not based on potential.

Edit: Payne won 3 majors but had 11 PGA tour wins compared to vijay's 34

How is Vijay a better golfer than Tom Watson?

Simple answer to me, Vijay put up wins and success in the Tiger's prime.

Tom Watson won 8 majors. Did they not count majors that were won prior to 1980?

Correct. They did not count anything before 1980.

I agree Payne being taken away from golf was tragic. Would have loved nothing more than to see him play against these guys today. That being said, Vijay has 34 wins on tour, which I believe is the most in this time frame by someone not named Tiger or Phil. Not to mention 3 majors and took down Tiger to be the number 1 golfer in the world for a stretch. His 2004 season was crazy good and might get overlooked by some.

This is what my life has become, defending Vijay Singh. Not the plan I had because I can't stand the guy haha

I agree Payne being taken away from golf was tragic. Would have loved nothing more than to see him play against these guys today. That being said, Vijay has 34 wins on tour, which I believe is the most in this time frame by someone not named Tiger or Phil. Not to mention 3 majors and took down Tiger to be the number 1 golfer in the world for a stretch. His 2004 season was crazy good and might get overlooked by some.

This is what my life has become, defending Vijay Singh. Not the plan I had because I can't stand the guy haha

Defending Vijay can get exhausting :)

Those are impressive stats during Tigers dominant years can't argue there. Looking back it said since 1980 & was not counting Watson's total major total. Probably splitting hairs with him over Watson on the list.

How fred couples is up so high bottles my mind.

How fred couples is up so high bottles my mind.

I think he is in good company where he is though. Not sure who I would have higher, Couples, DL3, or Goosen. Now that I think I would maybe go DL3, Couples, Goosen. Oddly enough the guy in 3rd has more majors.

I think he is in good company where he is though. Not sure who I would have higher, Couples, DL3, or Goosen. Now that I think I would maybe go DL3, Couples, Goosen. Oddly enough the guy in 3rd has more majors.

I think Couples consistency is why he's there. He is always pretty darn good. Not always great. He did win two Players Championships. But those mean more to me than the majors.

Back