thanks buddy. I'm going to try to get my bag out tonight. I'm going to talk to my pro about it too while at my lesson later.

Impact bags can be ineffective at times when the player doesnt try and accelerate through the bag, and they instead 'brace for impact'. That can engrain flinching at impact in the regular golf swing.

ddec - I only started using it at the suggestion of the teacher. Interested to hear what yours has to say.

Good point Thainer. I want to make the thing move and hit it as fast as I can.

Impact bags can be ineffective at times when the player doesnt try and accelerate through the bag, and they instead 'brace for impact'. That can engrain flinching at impact in the regular golf swing.

right now I'm more of a flincher, at least I think so. I feel I have no acceleration through the ball. So pretty much you think I just need to swing through the bag when I start this?

From what I was told, it needs to move forward after you hit it.

right now I'm more of a flincher, at least I think so. I feel I have no acceleration through the ball. So pretty much you think I just need to swing through the bag when I start this?

My thought when using mine is try and launch that bag as far as you can without using your wrists or hands to do it, and without hurting yourself in the process.

launch it I shall do.

I think you need to swing normal speed until about 12 inches away. Then send that biatch to the next room.

As you know, I'm no expert :D It really is something that's made a huge difference for me though. With the medicine ball I can get instant feedback on whether or not I'm swiping, casting, etc. The end result of putting a solid swing and square face is very different than not doing so. Like I said, it's just a way to work on it without worrying about the ball going all over the place, not to mention you can do it just about anywhere. I get made fun of though. Even by kids.

I made an impact bag out of two heavy duty trash bags stuffed with a couple of blankets. I put it in the garage with an old end table bracing it from the back so it can't move. Here's what it did for me:

It helped to show me the proper impact position, with the shaft leaning a little forward. I could see if the club head was square. I always struggled with a slice, even though my take away, downswing and swing path was correct from all I could tell. I found that I wasn’t releasing and squaring the back of my hand/wrist, and consequently the clubface, producing the slice. I now have better muscle memory for how to square the clubface, what it feels like. It helped me with keeping the hinge angle in my downswing until ready to release near impact. I never used to have much lag, and didn’t really understand it, but now I know what that feels like. The results came after about 3-4 weeks of hitting the bag several times per week for about 5-10 minutes, with irons, hybrids, and driver.

I could tell the difference when I actually started swinging the club with the correct lag angle, and impact position with a square clubface. I hit three drives Saturday with a dispersion of only about 5 yards, straighter than I have ever hit any drives before. No one else was around, so I tee’d up 3 balls in a row. My accuracy with hybrids and irons improved, and I get more distance with a more relaxed swing now. All from using a couple layers of trash bags stuffed with two big blankets. They rip up after a while, but they are cheap to replace.

Cheaper than a lesson, with nice improvements! Go for it! It worked for me!

Last edited:
Yes, but you run a bit more of a risk of injury hitting a tire than a lightweight bag

You guys are spot on with the drills that the impact bag can be used for. Path awareness coming in to the hitting area. Shows hand position at impact well. I've used it to help get people on a better path on takeaway. Strength training and as a weighted warm up option. Teaching acceleration through impact. Great to help with learning the feeling of a punch shot. I've used it to help with arm/body connection in the swing without a club. So many ways to use it, just have to be creative sometimes.

Yes, but you run a bit more of a risk of injury hitting a tire than a lightweight bag

Especially if the tire is on your neighbors car....

Just got one and i use it to help me square the face at impact. Unfortunately, I struggle with squaring the face of longer clubs. I think the impact bag is mainly for shorter irons...either way, i'm just focusing on the technique. I hope it helps!

Just got one and i use it to help me square the face at impact. Unfortunately, I struggle with squaring the face of longer clubs. I think the impact bag is mainly for shorter irons...either way, i'm just focusing on the technique. I hope it helps!

If you are closing down the face or squaring the face, what technique are you working on? Impact back is for all clubs

If you are closing down the face or squaring the face, what technique are you working on? Impact back is for all clubs

I've got a question about them. How full should I stuff that bag? As of right now, mine's probably half full and when I make impact with any club, that sucker goes flying and the club stops once my left arm is basically hanging straight down. It's kinda tough to know what the face was like because it always seems square. Am I just thumping the bag too hard? Or not heavy enough?

Working mainly on my grip and leading with the hands. I get a little anxious on the downswing so i'm hoping a lot of repetitions at 3/4 of a swing will help me build some musle memory.

I check my hand position after impact to make sure I am getting the results that I want....it's a little loud for indoors (enough so that the significant other complains), but it's fun in cold weather.

Can't wait for Spring!!!!

I've got a question about them. How full should I stuff that bag? As of right now, mine's probably half full and when I make impact with any club, that sucker goes flying and the club stops once my left arm is basically hanging straight down. It's kinda tough to know what the face was like because it always seems square. Am I just thumping the bag too hard? Or not heavy enough?

I have mine about 95% full with a quilt and towels. The quilt helps to keep it somewhat weighted. Some of the more advanced (to me) drills actually encourage you to hit the bag and see where it ends up. I am just looking for hand position at impact so I put it against something sturdy. Lately, it's been against a heavy end table (to my significant other's dismay, of course)...oh well - golf in the house!:bananadance:

I have mine about 95% full with a quilt and towels. The quilt helps to keep it somewhat weighted. Some of the more advanced (to me) drills actually encourage you to hit the bag and see where it ends up. I am just looking for hand position at impact so I put it against something sturdy. Lately, it's been against a heavy end table (to my significant other's dismay, of course)...oh well - golf in the house!:bananadance:

I usually send the bag flying across the living room with my irons to my own amusement. I was just hoping that maybe fuller, I could actually see where my hands were. I know that past impact, left wrist is flat and the right still has a bend in it. Would love to see where we were right at the ball

Yeah, just put it against something study. Standing just outside of a doorframe, with the bag against it, could work!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Fill it some more or place against an object that won't move. The bag acts as a buffer.

Working mainly on my grip and leading with the hands. I get a little anxious on the downswing so i'm hoping a lot of repetitions at 3/4 of a swing will help me build some musle memory.

I check my hand position after impact to make sure I am getting the results that I want....it's a little loud for indoors (enough so that the significant other complains), but it's fun in cold weather.

Can't wait for Spring!!!!

Try not to use the hands and use the forearms.

Back