What is the most difficult gap to fill in your bag?

Went through this problem a few weeks ago. I hit my PW 130 (carry) and my next wedge which was my 52* Vokey only about 105 (carry) took a lot of bending of the 52 to get it to carry about 115-120. Now my gap is between 115-120 to about 85-90 with the 56* Just have to get better at 3/4 and 1/2 shots so it's not much of an issue.

Mine is the gap over 270yards... haven't found a club to fill that gap yet... :banghead:

Right around 200 yards for me. I can get my 4 iron to 190 consistently, but then my 3h carries about 220. And, it's amazing how many more shots I end up with from 200 yards exactly (Murphy's Law). I've thought of replacing my 4i with a 4h, but that might create another gap.

That is what I am hoping to avoid this year.

I am excited about this to. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out my distances with no problems down there. Say I am going to try and make it to a demo day and try and start figuring those out.
This is another reason why I am so excited about my Cleveland set up this year. Cleveland has unique lofts that are new to me. I feel like my gap issue will be resolved on its own because of this. One can hope.

That is what I am hoping to avoid this year.
I'm kind of confused as I think setups for this year. Driver, 3w (14°), 5w (18°), 4h, 5-AW, 54°, 58°..... Never went with a setup like that. Not knowing the courses yet, no clue if I need that many options at the top of the bag.

I'm ok so far this year with gaps thankfully, I've pondered another wedge for the shorter gaps but not really a need right now.

Great thread.

Just as it says, when you are setting up your bag for the season, what is your problem area? For me it is 215-235. For whatever reason, every year it seems that I'm scrambling to fill that gap with either one or two clubs depending on the rest of my set up.

Definitely that same gap. It is just not my thing.

Definitely that same gap. It is just not my thing.

Me too my man. I don't mind that distance as I usually can get there regardless, but it is having a club that is meant to go that yardage that is the problem for me.

I am excited about this to. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out my distances with no problems down there. Say I am going to try and make it to a demo day and try and start figuring those out.

It is a really good plan. That is one of the things that I am most excited about for this upcoming year. Cleveland seems to have all my lofts covered.

Something between the driver and my my first hybrid. Basically 210+ yards has always been difficult to find something that works on a regular basis.

I'll be generalized and broad here bc it varies set to set, the "hybrid gap".

For instance, with my current setup the 225-235 gap is secure with the 20.5 hybo, but the play into my 5i is muddy and wide. It wouldn't be as bad of a gap with, say, SpeedBlades, but its still there and is my constant "battle gap". It reaffirms why I need an adjustable hybrid in that spot.

For instance, with my current setup the 225-235 gap is secure with the 20.5 hybo, but the play into my 5i is muddy and wide. It wouldn't be as bad of a gap with, say, SpeedBlades, but its still there and is my constant "battle gap". It reaffirms why I need an adjustable hybrid in that spot.

I love the idea of the adjustability dude, it opens up so many variations and possibilities.

I've had a few gaps in the past, for example the distance of around +/- 230 comes to mind. That is probably my current head scratcher...do I pull my 3 hybrid, or easy off my 2 hybrid since my 3 wood is way to much. I use to have a little gap around with my wedges, but now that I have 4 wedges in the bag, it's not a problem anymore.

This was helped for me alittle last year with Cobra and the adjustability that they offer. I should have gone with one more hybrid to close it and bounced the 4 iron.

The gap between my ears.

When my set goes from hybo's into my irons. 210 to 225. It's manageable but I'm choking down and taking a little off of the hybrid.

For me it has to be the 210-230 ish range. I really need to put a stiff shaft and also shorter in my 3 wood and this should help with that specific area, I hope.

My 3 hybo is just not consistant. So I will say the 215-225 range. But it doesn't hurt me really, just some par 5's I will not be able to go after in 2.

Have you thought about dropping your 64 and adding a 4 iron or another high lofted hybo to help close the gap.

For me, the toughest slot is actually the long hybrid. I've tried lots of hybrids, irons, fairway woods, etc. at that slot and have never exactly found "the one." They all have their pros and cons and I'm kind of like Goldilocks looking for "just right."

The fairway wood from the deck is a tougher shot, but I think I just expect more out of the hybrid with respect to accuracy and reduced percentage of mishits. With a fairway, I might accept lesser accuracy, more flubs or less versatility, just because it is a harder shot.

I'm currently messing with a "blast from the past" that is working well in that long hybrid slot. I'm really hoping that it works out and goes in for the year.

For me, the toughest slot is actually the long hybrid. I've tried lots of hybrids, irons, fairway woods, etc. at that slot and have never exactly found "the one." They all have their pros and cons and I'm kind of like Goldilocks looking for "just right."

The fairway wood from the deck is a tougher shot, but I think I just expect more out of the hybrid with respect to accuracy and reduced percentage of mishits. With a fairway, I might accept lesser accuracy, more flubs or less versatility, just because it is a harder shot.

I'm currently messing with a "blast from the past" that is working well in that long hybrid slot. I'm really hoping that it works out and goes in for the year.

ryebread have you thought about just leaving that slot blank and maybe adding a club somewhere else. I have the TF3 in my sig, but most of the time (lately) I replace it with a M1, M3 or a extra wedge. Just a thought. I think too many feel they have to set their bag up a certain way because that's what the norm is or what the pros do or what everyone else does. I know several years ago when I dropped down to only 11 clubs my handicap actually dropped. I was actually only playing 10 clubs as my SW was just for the sand. I think it accomplished three things: 1) less short game decisions 2) less long game mistakes (didn't carry any fairways) 3) and most importantly it lightened my bag and I walked more and was in a little better shape. Need to get back to walking more on the course.

ryebread have you thought about just leaving that slot blank and maybe adding a club somewhere else. I have the TF3 in my sig, but most of the time (lately) I replace it with a M1, M3 or a extra wedge. Just a thought. I think too many feel they have to set their bag up a certain way because that's what the norm is or what the pros do or what everyone else does. I know several years ago when I dropped down to only 11 clubs my handicap actually dropped. I was actually only playing 10 clubs as my SW was just for the sand. I think it accomplished three things: 1) less short game decisions 2) less long game mistakes (didn't carry any fairways) 3) and most importantly it lightened my bag and I walked more and was in a little better shape. Need to get back to walking more on the course.

I effectively almost do this because I just don't hit the long hybrid. It sits in the bag, but after a shot or two bad with it, I just don't hit it the rest of the round. It's sort of like "well, that's not going to work."

If the shot can set up for the fairway, I'll do that, otherwise I'll eat the yardage and just go with the 4H. A couple of times I've tried 7Ws in the slot, but find them probably less reliable than the long hybrid.

200-210 for me. I hit the 4iron just about 200 yards and then my 3 hybrid wants to get past 215, so I am constantly trying to either kill the 4 or back off on the hybrid.
I really want to get a higher flying hybrid since the current one comes in too low and wants to run out.

I had a gap at the top end of my bag, the 18* hybrid gives me 225 and my 4 iron is 195. Towards the end of last season, I went to the 54* and 60* wedges and added a 20* hybrid 1/2" shorter than standard and get 210 out of it. I like playing partial shots and controlling distance with trajectory with my wedges, so I can cover yardage with this set up.

Good thread - I pretty much have the same issue you noted, which is exacerbated by the clubs in that yardage area needing to be useful from both the tee and deck. Still not sure how I will address this year but probably will move clubs around based on the course I am playing.

Just as it says, when you are setting up your bag for the season, what is your problem area? For me it is 215-235. For whatever reason, every year it seems that I'm scrambling to fill that gap with either one or two clubs depending on the rest of my set up.

Back