Motivation To Improve.

My motivation is I am in the FREAKING MORGAN CUP!!! I am striving for a handicap of 10 this year and also wanna try and beat my regular golf buddy this year more. So all kinds of motivation to try and reach my goals.

My motivation is I am in the FREAKING MORGAN CUP!!! I am striving for a handicap of 10 this year and also wanna try and beat my regular golf buddy this year more. So all kinds of motivation to try and reach my goals.

Not calling you out by know means, but considering this, does that mean if you werent in it youd wouldnt work as hard on your game this year?

I am motivated to:

1) get to the point where I have a repeatable swing & can make fairly consistet contact in the center of the clubface.

2) get to the point where I know what distance each of my clubs gives for a typical swing of mine. Also, get to the point where I have a set of Wedge partial swings for the enire range of distances from 100 yards and in.

3) Go an entire round without a three-putt & to have 30 putts or less

4) Beat MikeDean (haha!)

Oh, and one more...

I want to have a low enough handicap to be considered for the Morgan Cup!

No your good dude. I would say it has defiantly has had me work more on my game. I have never taken lessons when there was snow on the ground and I never owned a net in my house till I got accepted in the Morgan Cup. Being in the Morgan Cup is a huge deal for me because I have alot on the line to be the best I can. I don't want to just take it easy and slide in down there. I am going to work my A$$ off. Seeing how everyone else is working on there game for the Morgan Cup that motivates me to do more.
Not calling you out by know means, but considering this, does that mean if you werent in it youd wouldnt work as hard on your game this year?

No your good dude. I would say it has defiantly has had me work more on my game. I have never taken lessons when there was snow on the ground and I never owned a net in my house till I got accepted in the Morgan Cup. Being in the Morgan Cup is a huge deal for me because I have alot on the line to be the best I can. I don't want to just take it easy and slide in down there. I am going to work my A$$ off. Seeing how everyone else is working on there game for the Morgan Cup that motivates me to do more.

Its a great point. I was waiting for someone to bring it up. I too am working harder for it. However, it brings up another question. If time was possible where would your game be if you worked this hard every year..least thats what popped into my head

Its a great point. I was waiting for someone to bring it up. I too am working harder for it. However, it brings up another question. If time was possible where would your game be if you worked this hard every year..least thats what popped into my head

Well hard to say since I haven't been on a course since the start of December. But I imagine it would be where I would be more comfortable with my scores. I'm really hoping the lessons, putting and hitting in the basement pay off when the course opens back up.

When I started out here, it was a number range on the card I was motivated to reach. With the dropping of that range and expectations being changed in my mind, more detail of the game came to be the motivation. It can change on any given day, but being able to focus more on each shot has helped. Having some great buds far and near has helped with the motivation as well.

It sounds weird, but regret fuels my desire to get better. I wasted a lot of time being angry when I played golf. I regret that I didn't put forth the proper effort and attitude during those years. Now that I have returned to the game, I want to see how good I can get. It may not make sense to some, but I bet a few can relate.

JM

My motivation is to consistently play to my potential.

My motivation is to improve my consistency. My inconsistencies can lead to a 70 one day then follow that up with an 82 the next day. I know it is hard to be truly consistent with being a weekend only golfer due to my ridiculously long work weeks M - F. I actually had my most consistent month in a few years in December when I posted 10 rounds and all were in the 73 - 77 range. I think part of what I saw with my good consistency in December was my desire to begin working hard on my game in case I was fortunate enough to land a spot in the MC. Now that I will be attending some THP events in the coming months, I feel that I have more motivation to pay more attention to my game and improve my consistency.

Last edited:
This is a great question. Being stagnant is my motivation. I had improved each of the two years preceding 2013. Last year I had a ton of birdies, but my overall scores hovered around the same as 2012. That motivated to look at my golf habits (no practice, no game management) to see where I can improve.

I started playing golf just a few years ago, so my motivation is to improve my consistency. I can hit the same club 6 times, and have 6 different outcomes. I want to be able to put the same swing on the ball each time, and generally know how far that ball is going to travel. My short game is improving by leaps and bounds, my iron and long game always seems to be getting better, just not usually fast enough. I am not the guy with the most patience, so that is something else that I'm really learning when it comes to my swing, that I have to take it step by step.

THP #theking #imwithchad

My motivation to get better is to compete against myself. Of course there are friends I'd like to beat that make fun of my game but I am my own biggest critic. I count every stroke, penalty and miss hit. I've had people say "why get lessons, you'll never go pro." Of course I don't think I'll be pro but I'd like to enjoy my time on the course and be able to play a respectable round. Not to mention golf is expensive down here in FL during peak season. 110 shots is not my idea of getting my money's worth.

A lot of things in this game motivate me. I want to beat my previous score every time I play. I want to hit a better wedge shot than I did last hole. I always want to get better. IMO everyone can get better than they are the previous day, no matter what level you reach. Another thing that motivates me, is my pop (Maddog701) he is still a very good player and has a lot of game, but not what he used to be. Before getting back into golf in the last few years he had a 6-7 year layoff. Before that lay off he carried a 4 handicap with no practice. All he did was played and he carried that handicap, but that's not what motivates me. He played college golf and was a scratch to plus handicap for the better part of his golfing career. That's what motivates me, I want to be better than him, because he's told me I can be. He knows my game even tho I may not want to admit, but he does. I want to get to the point where I can tell him with his help I could have played with you, hung with you, beaten you in your best days, because who doesn't want to be better than their pop!?

My main motivation is to get better each and every round, which leads to my index dropping. And depending on an event I'm preparing for that just gives me added motivation to improve. Golf is so personal that drive has to come from within!

My reason is simple. To help my team win The Morgan Cup. I have been to that dance twice and gone home alone both times. I have played well but not as well as I needed to. Each day brings a new day to get better physically and on the course.

It's sad to me that I don't really have any motivation at this point. I think I was wanting to get picked for a spot in the Morgan Cup so bad, so I would have the motivation to get my game back again. Since I missed out this year, I still don't have it. I don't think it's for lack of not wanting, but for the fact that I don't want to disappoint my wife and kids. I say that because, if I was to take my game back to the level I would want it to be at, this would mean sacrificing some time from them. I had my schedule in my head, for how I would work around this, and I could still do this....however, the motivation is not there. I look at my game, and I know that with the skill level I have I could go out (on a good day) and shot in the 70's. I also know that I could easily shoot in the 90's.
So for now, I play the blame game with myself, hopefully that will change once the weather gets a little warmer. I know the motivation can be there, but until then...I'll sleep in instead.

My reason is simple. To help my team win The Morgan Cup. I have been to that dance twice and gone home alone both times. I have played well but not as well as I needed to. Each day brings a new day to get better physically and on the course.

I 100% back this statement

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

For me right now, its not letting down my friends/family/teammates/THP.

For me right now, its not letting down my friends/family/teammates/THP.

Dude you could gain 10 strokes on your index and not a single person would feel you let down anything you mentioned. #respect brotha.

Great question. I've never really been one to chase an index, primarily because I never had one before THP. I think my motivation is to get rid of bad shots from my game. I'm not saying that I'm chasing that every shot is a good shot, just to get rid of the shanks, tops, slices, etc. I'm fine hitting rough as long as it's findable and not obstructed. I'm fine missing a green as long as I've got a chip on. It's the beautiful drive followed by a 50 yd chunk that I'm trying to get rid of.

My motivation is to shoot as good as I can. That's under 80 at my home course, under 85 at unfamiliar courses. Under 90 at harder courses.

Has anyone ever done Strengthfinder? My #1 strength is competition. I love competing and thus hate losing. So I want to be the best player in the field whenever I play. I'm not a sore loser though! I take from my experiences and move forward to make improvements to achieve that ultimate goal.

Has anyone ever done Strengthfinder? My #1 strength is competition. I love competing and thus hate losing. So I want to be the best player in the field whenever I play. I'm not a sore loser though! I take from my experiences and move forward to make improvements to achieve that ultimate goal.

Is this http://strengths.gallup.com/110440/about-strengthsfinder-20.aspx what you are speaking of Sleuth?

For me the motivation is that this year is the first year I have taken it seriously so to speak , my goal is to establish a handicap and be respectful of the game , and learn to truly practice and improve.

Back