A caddies responsibility

Trout Bum

Regional Rival
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
How much responsibility do you the cadddies hold out there on tour? are they responsible for the rules? the wind directions? clubbing the golfer? I see some of them get heat for bad shots by the golfer but is it earned?

I've seen it depend greatly on the player themselves.

Some seem to have a 50/50 partnership in the decision process, while others just seem to give yardages and club recommendations and nod and agree a lot.

I personally think that it's a little unprofessional to blame a caddy for a poor shot when you're at the top of the sport (and should be able to handle yourself).

I've seen it depend greatly on the player themselves.

Some seem to have a 50/50 partnership in the decision process, while others just seem to give yardages and club recommendations and nod and agree a lot.

This is my thought as well. To some, it's a partnership and the performance of the caddy is as vital to success as the players. Each has their responsibilities that need to be fulfilled. To others, they seem like someone to hold their bag and give them yardage and clubs.

Funny I used to get so darn mad at Stevie Williams sometimes at the way he acted toward fans but I really miss the dynamics he and Tiger had as a team. I don't thin I could ever blame someone else for a poor shot, my decision for the club or shot is just that, my decision.

I think for me I need yardage, pull me off if the wind changes, pin placements. A read if I ask, keep me focused and be my buddy

Funny I used to get so darn mad at Stevie Williams sometimes at the way he acted toward fans but I really miss the dynamics he and Tiger had as a team. I don't thin I could ever blame someone else for a poor shot, my decision for the club or shot is just that, my decision.

The best player/caddie interaction I've ever seen on the course is between Brandt Snedeker and Scott Vail.

Keep the pro aware. Read assistance, wind, yardage. Keep the pro aware.

JM

I am by no means a professional but my take is that they are a resource for the golfer. They can give advice and their opinion but ultimately it's the golfers decision on what he/she wants to do. A friend of mine caddied for the US Amateur last year and he told me he only offered advice when he was asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me a caddie would be someone who can help me talk through a tough shot to read on the green but knows to just help me along and keep me loose and having fun. I never think a caddie should get any heat for a bad shot. We are all human and err from time to time.

I think it is to give the player raw data and keep them situationally aware.

I think for me I need yardage, pull me off if the wind changes, pin placements. A read if I ask, keep me focused and be my buddy

^^^^^^^^^^ Well said Freddie. My opinions exactly!

I can be your Doug

I think caddies main job is to be a second set of eyes on each situation. He can offer information, but has to support the players decision on the shot he/she wants. You're in the players corner, so let them know you have their back 110%. The player knows if they made a mistake, the last thing they need is the caddie piling on saying "Told ya that was the wrong club."

It depends greatly on the player. There are some guys that use family members to carry the bag where most have a professional caddie.

If I was a caddie I would do anything that the player wanted. If the player wants to yell at me and blame me for a bad shot, bring it on if it makes him get over it and focus on the next shot. The caddies job in my opinion is to do anything and everything the player needs to play at their best. For the standard 10% caddie fee I be willing to do a lot and take a lot from a player.

I think it probably varies greatly from player to player. I'm sure some guys need to be coddled and babysat through the round, while others just need for the caddy to stay out of the way.

I don't like it to see a player blame their caddy for a bad shot either, but at the end of the day the players are the boss and the caddies are well paid for their services. I'm not the best at holding my tongue, but sometimes you have to do it and let the boss vent, even if he is wrong.

A good buddy of mine has caddied several times for Dylan Frittelli ('12 National Championship Texas Team), and he said that there are generally two types of caddies.

Number one gives yardage and wind, and the player decides club and type of shot. This player is dependent on the caddie for that info only as well as some encouragement (Dylan said Tiger tends to play this way).

The second type acts as the brain of the player essentially. They know how the player hits each type of shot, and they basically give all the data and then hand them a club and tell them what to do.

Realistically, there's no 50/50 relationship between the two, but rather a 60/40 or 65/35 going either way from my understanding.

A good buddy of mine has caddied several times for Dylan Frittelli ('12 National Championship Texas Team), and he said that there are generally two types of caddies.

Number one gives yardage and wind, and the player decides club and type of shot. This player is dependent on the caddie for that info only as well as some encouragement (Dylan said Tiger tends to play this way).

The second type acts as the brain of the player essentially. They know how the player hits each type of shot, and they basically give all the data and then hand them a club and tell them what to do.

Realistically, there's no 50/50 relationship between the two, but rather a 60/40 or 65/35 going either way from my understanding.
This makes sense. I think that it varies from player to player and some need more encouragement than others as well as info.

I think this one completely depends on the player and their wants/needs. Ultimately IMO the player is the one hitting the shot so they should NEVER blame their caddy. If they aren't comfortable with their caddy's suggestion, then execute the shot you think is best.

Personally, I'd want someone who knows the rules, gives me the yardages, and is there for me when I ask. Some days I may ask more than others but I would never ever blame a shot or out come of a shot on a caddy.

I personally think that it's a little unprofessional to blame a caddy for a poor shot when you're at the top of the sport (and should be able to handle yourself).

I agree. It all comes down to the player. I'd like to see the caddies do less. All the back and forth and the caddies lining up players for shots just leads to more slow play. Once the player address's the ball, there is no way the caddie should be allowed to be there to say yes or no on alignment.

Back