Thanks Satchmo, Trout Bum & EaglevsFalcon for the info! All this discussion makes me regret not learning how to play guitar when I was young! Still - lookingforward to learnng & having fun.

It's never too late! There are so many ways to start learning so go and try, you won't regret it!

It's never too late! There are so many ways to start learning so go and try, you won't regret it!

+1000

sent without the boss's knowledge...

Trout bum said it pretty well, it's all subjective to one' ear and preference. Every guitarist has some sort of tone they desire, some want a warm singing tone, others want a harsh high gain tone. For me what a tube amp gives me is sustain, warmth and a nice consistent breakup. I've played several solid state amps and hybrids in the past and they didn't give me what I wanted, then I started playing through tube amps and saw a huge difference. I've played hand wired boutique amps as well as affordable tube amps from blackstar to vox etc and have developed a preference for amps that run el34 tubes, they offer what a lot of amps with el84 tubes don't offer, and that is well defined low end, tight mids and smooth highs and sustain.

As far as what type of el34 to use, every manufacture makes their own type of tube with different characteristics, I use ehx el34 because they offer a deep and tight bass, sweet and well defined mids, and highs are detailed and extended. Every preamp tube also can affect the overall tone, some people like pre amp tubes that give high gain, others lower gain.

Anyone who has hit the world of tune amps has a hard time going back to solid state amps, because it's hard to replicate the warmth, sustain and response. A dirty tube amp will easily clean up with a simple roll of the guitar's volume knobs. Many guitarists do not know how big of an instrument the guitar volume knob can be.

Dead on, 100%. I'm a hack guitarist, as drums are my primary instrument. But I've been through a number of amps these past 7 years, from solid state (Fender) to tube (Crate) to hybrid (Vox) and back to all tube (Blackstar), and now that I have the Blackstar I'm never selling or trading it. It's perfect for nearly everything I need. And when I want really insane high gain, I can use any number of incredible free amp sims that are out there. But honestly, nothing beats a Les Paul direct into the amp with tube saturation.

It's heavenly.

Do you guys have any links to some recordings? I'd love to hear your tones.

Dead on, 100%. I'm a hack guitarist, as drums are my primary instrument. But I've been through a number of amps these past 7 years, from solid state (Fender) to tube (Crate) to hybrid (Vox) and back to all tube (Blackstar), and now that I have the Blackstar I'm never selling or trading it. It's perfect for nearly everything I need. And when I want really insane high gain, I can use any number of incredible free amp sims that are out there. But honestly, nothing beats a Les Paul direct into the amp with tube saturation.

It's heavenly.

I probably haven't been playing for as long as some of you here, but here is my take on the whole tube / solid state thing.

I started playing guitar through a borrowed Fender DRRI, and it was absolutely awesome. When I played at church, I played through a Marshall JVM205C, a Crate V50, and a Roland JC120. Eventually, I ended up getting a B52 AT212 for my own home and personal usage. I absolutely loved the whole tube amp, analog pedal journey and the tones I was able to get throughout the short time I got to play through those rigs were incredible. The issues that I ran into though were volume, portability, recording, and GAS. Tube amps were too loud for what I wanted, low wattage tube amps didn't have enough headroom for what I needed, amps were heavy, and recording was hard at night time.

Other than that, I think the biggest issue I faced was GAS.

It was no longer about playing anymore. It turned into an endless tone search. Spend all day researching pedals, watching demos, counting how much money I could spend to get the next piece of gear. It got to a point where I didn't play guitar anymore, I just looked for gear that would make me sound like a great player. I was looking for compliments from people such as, "Nice tone!" instead of "Nice chops, you're killin it!"

This all stopped when I got to college where I couldn't bring an amp because I wouldn't be able to play without pissing EVERYONE on my hall off. This, combined with the fun I have posting on YouTube, prompted me to get the POD X3 Live. I sold my amp and put all my pedals in a closet at home and focused on practicing. I could play through headphones, sound great, and record easily in my dorm room. I could model amps that I could never afford, and learn / cover songs that I wouldn't have been able to because of gear limitations.

I also ended up getting into the shallow end of mixing, and realized that full tone isn't everything when it comes to recording. It helped me realize that in the big picture of things, it's about how everything fits into a mix. This prompted me to care even less about trying to chase the "perfect" tone. I was able to get ENOUGH out of a modeling FX unit. I ended up getting a QSC K12 for my POD, and then I got the POD HD500 a couple of months after it came out. With the new technology coming out for modeling, like the Axe-Fx 2 and the POD HD series, I felt like I wasn't missing out on much.

This is in no way saying that playing tube amps and analog pedals is a waste of time or is useless because I miss it. A lot. But I gained so much freedom by stepping away from it all to focus on the playing.

If anyone is interested, here's my YouTube channel. Don't be too harsh, my playing is as bad as my golf :p
https://www.youtube.com/user/touji192/videos

These songs aren't through my amp, but they're tones I engineered/mixed: http://sauriel.bandcamp.com/

The "Akasha" EP is much better both musically & sonically. Guitars are 6505+ boosted by a TS 808, and one of the Line 6 hybrid heads unboosted. Both were run through a Marshall 1960A 4x12, and mic'd with an SM57. Bass was run through an Ampeg SVT head into an 8x10 cab. The tones are more on the harsher death metal side than chunky modern rock (you'll understand why as soon as you listen for 10 seconds :act-up:) but I felt they fit the style. Everything was recorded direct using amp sims for monitoring, then edited and the direct signal was re-amped through their rigs.

It's definitely heavy but the guitar tones are solid dude, nice playing for sure! I like a lot of the Peavey gear, their high gain amps are stout.

I dig it man.

I probably haven't been playing for as long as some of you here, but here is my take on the whole tube / solid state thing.

I started playing guitar through a borrowed Fender DRRI, and it was absolutely awesome. When I played at church, I played through a Marshall JVM205C, a Crate V50, and a Roland JC120. Eventually, I ended up getting a B52 AT212 for my own home and personal usage. I absolutely loved the whole tube amp, analog pedal journey and the tones I was able to get throughout the short time I got to play through those rigs were incredible. The issues that I ran into though were volume, portability, recording, and GAS. Tube amps were too loud for what I wanted, low wattage tube amps didn't have enough headroom for what I needed, amps were heavy, and recording was hard at night time.

Other than that, I think the biggest issue I faced was GAS.

It was no longer about playing anymore. It turned into an endless tone search. Spend all day researching pedals, watching demos, counting how much money I could spend to get the next piece of gear. It got to a point where I didn't play guitar anymore, I just looked for gear that would make me sound like a great player. I was looking for compliments from people such as, "Nice tone!" instead of "Nice chops, you're killin it!"

This all stopped when I got to college where I couldn't bring an amp because I wouldn't be able to play without pissing EVERYONE on my hall off. This, combined with the fun I have posting on YouTube, prompted me to get the POD X3 Live. I sold my amp and put all my pedals in a closet at home and focused on practicing. I could play through headphones, sound great, and record easily in my dorm room. I could model amps that I could never afford, and learn / cover songs that I wouldn't have been able to because of gear limitations.

I also ended up getting into the shallow end of mixing, and realized that full tone isn't everything when it comes to recording. It helped me realize that in the big picture of things, it's about how everything fits into a mix. This prompted me to care even less about trying to chase the "perfect" tone. I was able to get ENOUGH out of a modeling FX unit. I ended up getting a QSC K12 for my POD, and then I got the POD HD500 a couple of months after it came out. With the new technology coming out for modeling, like the Axe-Fx 2 and the POD HD series, I felt like I wasn't missing out on much.

This is in no way saying that playing tube amps and analog pedals is a waste of time or is useless because I miss it. A lot. But I gained so much freedom by stepping away from it all to focus on the playing.

If anyone is interested, here's my YouTube channel. Don't be too harsh, my playing is as bad as my golf :p
https://www.youtube.com/user/touji192/videos

Because of my job, I often play in large venues, and this is why I always have so much gear, everything has a backup. As far as analog vs digital, all my over drive pedals, and boost are analog, and my amps are tube because I can run them very loud and get the tone I need. The only things that are digital at the moment are my delays. I find that my set up sounds organic and warm, even when I play with massive overdrive, it growls instead of a harsh snarl if that makes sense.

I got this for free today
A6mctjZ.jpg

lol5BbJ.jpg

MMhjp0p.jpg

Consider yourself lucky. I can hear the difference between guitar cables, speaker cables, CD players, etc. I am also a pro photographer and can see the smallest things most will never notice.

It's a gift and a curse.

10 years ago I built an audio file grade sound system with my new plasma TV $50K+. Had a Bogner Shiva with 2 x 12s in and had the system EQed for playing with DVDs, SACDs, etc. My neighbor came in and saw it called the store that did the install and bought himself a $700 cheap surround system and has been happier with his than I have been with mine. Mainly because he either cannot or does not want to hear subtle things in the music.

I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, because I have tremendous respect & admiration for anyone who can play an instrument decently. But listening to you guys describe the aural qualities of various tubes in amps reminds me of the time (years ago) I went into a high end stereo store in Chicago with my girlfriend. I was in the market for a new turntable, & they did a series of A-B comparisons, and raved about the virtues of this one model with a glass patten (er, top spinny part). My GF swore she could hear the differences they were describing, but I could not hear any discernable difference.

I was bummed at first. I thought - "Maybe I'm just a low-Fi guy". Then I consoled myself with the fact that expensive equipment would be wasted on me, & I would be just as happy with cheaper stuff!

Do you think it takes time to develop that trained ear, or are some people just born with a better ability to appreciate thes subtle differences?

Oh - and don't stop the conversation - I think it's interesting as hell & amazing! I would love to hear you play sometime Satchmo (and you others)!

Last edited:
It's all about the sound(s) you want to make and hear.

I play a 59 Les Paul, a real one, 63 Strat and a PRS Santana I though a late 60's 50 watt Marshall head and an early 70's 4 x 12 slant cab, 1992 Fender Vibro King with the 2 x 12 ext. cab and a Schroeder 45 watt custom made head and a Schroeder 2 x 12 ported cab. The only pedal I use is a VooDoo Labs amp switcher. It's all about mixing the tones and being able to play one at a time or two or all three.

Used to have an 8 x 10 Marshall cab with the 50 watt head. Great sound but a bear to gig with. Wish I still had that cab.

Now when people come to jam they will ask to use one of my amps and I'm like, I need all three. Sorry. Bring your own.

I got this for free today
A6mctjZ.jpg

lol5BbJ.jpg

MMhjp0p.jpg

Nice! I've been pondering picking up a nice Acoustic, thinking Martin. I bought a Samick way back in college, just to drag back and forth to class, lessons etc. I still love it, but the bridge material (plastic) chipped during my move and now the high E buzzes from the 8th fret and up.

So, any suggestions? I don't want to drop 3 or 4k for me to play occasionally at home, so I'd be looking around 700-1500.

Nice! I've been pondering picking up a nice Acoustic, thinking Martin. I bought a Samick way back in college, just to drag back and forth to class, lessons etc. I still love it, but the bridge material (plastic) chipped during my move and now the high E buzzes from the 8th fret and up.

So, any suggestions? I don't want to drop 3 or 4k for me to play occasionally at home, so I'd be looking around 700-1500.

Martin has a great line of introductory models from 900-1500, I've played a few of them and owned one (I'll post the model later it was a while ago) I paid less than 1000 for it and it sounded great, I like solid top acoustics!

I second the Martin endorsement. Great guitars! Saying that, I doe not own one. Play McPherson, Guild D35 and a Taylor 914c. Mrtins do not play up the neck the way the McPherson does, for me.

My niece has an entry level Martin $1000 and I love it and monopolize it when I visit.

Martin has a great line of introductory models from 900-1500, I've played a few of them and owned one (I'll post the model later it was a while ago) I paid less than 1000 for it and it sounded great, I like solid top acoustics!

I have a Dean acoustic that my father bought for me at Xmas that I'll never get rid of for sentimental reasons, but I've reached that stage in my life where I'd rather have 1 or 2 high dollar, high quality pieces than 8 or 9 mediocre ones. When I get back to Indianapolis in a few weeks, I'll spend some time at Guitar Center plunking around on some Martins. Glad to hear the positive reviews on them.

The perfect guitar and amp is all about what sound is in your head. That's it. No right or wrong.

Funny long winded story here. So one day I was in Guitar Center selling a practice amp. Being a lefty I was stunned as I looked over and saw a guy had brought in a Fender Musicmaster bass. Been looking for one of those for years but lefties go for like $1,200. Too much for me. I started talking to him and he says he's selling it because he wants to buy a new 52 reissue Tele because his was stolen earlier. I told him I'd buy his bass for $50 more than GC offered and did so in the parking lot for $450. Steal of the year. So a couple of months go by and I am looking to sell my 52 Tele I bought at GC and I found a repair tag in the case that had that guy's number on it and called him saying I was looking at selling my 52 Tele. He comes over and sure enough it is his that had been stolen last year. Bonus for me as I get full price back from GC. He gets his baby, as he called it. GC takes it in the shorts. Extra happy because he said he bought it after he had a heart attack as his welcome back to life guitar.

My Music room
nHgt0RN.jpg

Here's some of my gear:

431604_10151346693965089_1187618678_n.jpg

The LP is an Epi, but plays wonderfully. Took me a month to find one I truly liked.

599752_10151792592790089_672611944_n.jpg

'84 Tama Swingstars, this is my gigging kit. Don't mind if it gets dinged up :)

228379_10150585671805089_1267083_n.jpg

'62 Ludwigs, these are now home or recording use only. That finish can get dinged up easily.
740385_10152396338025089_1224077850_o%20(600x800).jpg

My son bashing away on my V-Kit. I almost never use the onboard sounds, I usually use it to trigger samples via MIDI when I record.

Not pictured - my acoustics, my mandolin, and my Blackstar amp :)

attachment.php

My rig with Magneplanner Speakers and sub woofer.

Late 60's Marshall 50 Watt head on top of an early 70's 4 x 12, Fender Vibro King with 2 x 12 extension cab, Schroeder custom made 45 watt amp on top of a Schroeder 2 x 12 ported cab, 59 Les Paul, VooDoo amp changer and Peterson Flip.

Last edited:
I can't see it, all I get is the X of death. I love real 59's dude you certainly have some nice gear from your list.

The perfect guitar and amp is all about what sound is in your head. That's it. No right or wrong.

Funny long winded story here. So one day I was in Guitar Center selling a practice amp. Being a lefty I was stunned as I looked over and saw a guy had brought in a Fender Musicmaster bass. Been looking for one of those for years but lefties go for like $1,200. Too much for me. I started talking to him and he says he's selling it because he wants to buy a new 52 reissue Tele because his was stolen earlier. I told him I'd buy his bass for $50 more than GC offered and did so in the parking lot for $450. Steal of the year. So a couple of months go by and I am looking to sell my 52 Tele I bought at GC and I found a repair tag in the case that had that guy's number on it and called him saying I was looking at selling my 52 Tele. He comes over and sure enough it is his that had been stolen last year. Bonus for me as I get full price back from GC. He gets his baby, as he called it. GC takes it in the shorts. Extra happy because he said he bought it after he had a heart attack as his welcome back to life guitar.

I like that you mention that the perfect combo is the sound on your head, it really is! One reason I love blackstar is that their motto is the sound in your head, because their amps can voice a typical British or typical American sound with one dial (their philosophy is all about mids and how tight they) many of us know what a Marshall sounds like, or what an old fender twin reverb sounds like because they have their own distinctive voicing. Blackstar allows you to shape your own which is really attractive to a few guitarists I know. Plus you can get some good amps for a decent price!

As far as the fender blues jr I got for free, only one tube seems to be microphonic but luckily it's just a preamp tube. This guy must have been sitting in a closer for years, but now it will have so loving tender care haha. I love to record with small wattage amps.

Coughlin that's badass!

Musicians???

This is my first ever Gibson, it's a raw studio in faded cherry red.
EOXmraZ.jpg

d7Ixu8n.jpg

And this is one of the Les Paul customs that I have. Old faithful is her name.

FW2rdS6.jpg

8uduva7a.jpg

It aint no Plexi (wish it was) but it gets the job done in big venues

12284645334_8daba8e4c3.jpg

Last edited:
Back