Winter Short Game fixes

majBC

Reaction score
I know for me that playing on dormant grasses can make playing usual short game shots more difficult. How do you approach playing in different conditions and at different times of the year?
I know for me I use my niblick's and hybrids around the green more in the winter as well as a toed shot with a lofted club. Just curious what you do differently, if anything?

I ice fish.........

Its actually been good for me this year as I've begun to embrace bump and runners with PW/irons instead of automatically grabbing the high lofted wedge. Plus, I've rediscovered my love for the hybrid putt, such a SAFE shot for me.

I like this thread, I'm curious to see others thoughts.

Its actually been good for me this year as I've begun to embrace bump and runners with PW/irons instead of automatically grabbing the high lofted wedge. Plus, I've rediscovered my love for the hybrid putt, such a SAFE shot for me.

I love this Jman! I really need to do the same, it's all about practice and then actually USING it during a round instead of falling back to the 56*.

I am with Jman on this one. In these types of situations the lofted clubs stay in the bag. My go to club is my 7iron for these types of shot. It is always great to have something to fall back on.

I am with Jman on this one. In these types of situations the lofted clubs stay in the bag. My go to club is my 7iron for these types of shot. It is always great to have something to fall back on.

I have to echo these comments. I have really been focusing on the bump and run type shot whenever I am around the greens lately.

I can't play in the winter, but if I could, it would be so much this.

I love this Jman! I really need to do the same, it's all about practice and then actually USING it during a round instead of falling back to the 56*.

I have to echo these comments. I have really been focusing on the bump and run type shot whenever I am around the greens lately.

I can't play in the winter, but if I could, it would be so much this.

Winter this year has made me realize how easy it is to over-complicate things, especially the short game. Rather than thinking about it and playing the shot that gives us the best results we all gravitate towards thoughts of flash and the idea that we are good enough to pitch/chip super precisely when if we would embrace the shots that simplify things and can be much more consistent results wise we could reap the benefits year round.

Winter this year has made me realize how easy it is to over-complicate things, especially the short game. Rather than thinking about it and playing the shot that gives us the best results we all gravitate towards thoughts of flash and the idea that we are good enough to pitch/chip super precisely when if we would embrace the shots that simplify things and can be much more consistent results wise we could reap the benefits year round.
Pretty sure the majority of coaches preach getting the ball rolling ASAP when it comes to short game shots around the green. In the past, I've never practices enough to have the "touch" of knowing how far each club would roll out, etc. Once the snow melts up here, 90% of my practice time will be spent hitting ALL types of shots and clubs around the green.

Pretty sure the majority of coaches preach getting the ball rolling ASAP when it comes to short game shots around the green. In the past, I've never practices enough to have the "touch" of knowing how far each club would roll out, etc. Once the snow melts up here, 90% of my practice time will be spent hitting ALL types of shots and clubs around the green.

You're right that they do, its funny how us amateurs don't always listen though eh? haha

Its seriously a play/ideology that I plan on honing in on this year, its smart, its safer, and those two things generally mean better scores for me.

You're right that they do, its funny how us amateurs don't always listen though eh? haha
Yup, I've pulled off three miracle flops in 10 years and I'm convinced that's the smart play.

Andy I was really getting more into bump and running off the green instead of using a high loft. Made a huge change instead of worrying about doing a full swing with a wedge.

Yup, I've pulled off three miracle flops in 10 years and I'm convinced that's the smart play.

Haha NAILED IT! This is me too. I've always practiced carrying the ball in the air the majority of the distance on the green and I KNOW this isn't the smart play, but it's what I'm comfortable with. That's going to change this year. With the help of NO SISSY FADE. He's one of the best short game players around the green I know and I will be taking his advice tenfold on how to get up and down.

I can't stress this enough with short game. This has been a staple of my game since high school. Even with that being said I find myself trying those low % shots. Need to get this ingrained back into my thought process.

Yesterday was my first trip out and for the greens that weren't snow covered, my preferred play was bump and run or a little chip and chase depending on how hard the green was. I did have an awesome low spinner that checked up about 8 feet past the flag from 20 yards on the 11th hole, but at this point I can't duplicate that consistently, although I hope too.

The one thing that winter brings into play regarding the short game is wetter conditions. This forces me to really rely on the clubs bounce more when pitching the ball. Bounce is your friend! My chips are generally bump and run so there isn't much of a change in that aspect of my game.

If you don't know what I am referring to about using the bounce of a club watch Golf Channel Academy where Paul Azinger discusses the short game.

The one thing that winter brings into play regarding the short game is wetter conditions. This forces me to really rely on the clubs bounce more when pitching the ball. Bounce is your friend! My chips are generally bump and run so there isn't much of a change in that aspect of my game.

If you don't know what I am referring to about using the bounce of a club watch Golf Channel Academy where Paul Azinger discusses the short game.

Probably my favorite episode ever, made SO much sense to me and is what initially has made me start really rethinking my short game approach.

Probably my favorite episode ever, made SO much sense to me and is what initially has made me start really rethinking my short game approach.
I need to find this. I have no idea how the bounce of a club can help.

I need to find this. I have no idea how the bounce of a club can help.

Agreed, I was going to watch it and ended up missing it. If you have the golf channel academy app I think you can watch the episodes on that.

I've always counted on the bump and run chip shot. I use it as often as I can. I can't rely on getting enough spin with a more lofted wedge, and I appreciate the free read of an upcoming putt. It's not the sexy shot, but it is most effective for me.

8I/9I/PW B&R's really come out during the cold season with no trouble in front of the green. Heck sometimes I'll aim at a green side bunker on purpose with a regular lofted shot.

It's actually worked out pretty well for me. As others have said, choosing the safer bump & run has, as a general rule, been the smarter play. Being encouraged to play it has been much better for my game overall.

Back