Insert Putters - What are your thoughts?

I'm sure this is totally mental for me, but I've never been able to roll insert putters consistently. I struggle mightily with distance control with them. I'm hoping to change that in 2014 as I am really impressed with the few rolls I've put on the SmartSquare.

I'm sure this is totally mental for me, but I've never been able to roll insert putters consistently. I struggle mightily with distance control with them. I'm hoping to change that in 2014 as I am really impressed with the few rolls I've put on the SmartSquare.

Out of curiosity, how much of that is the insert itself vs time spent with the putter? Any time I switch putter design/weight/etc I struggle with distance control for the first little bit.

Out of curiosity, how much of that is the insert itself vs time spent with the putter? Any time I switch putter design/weight/etc I struggle with distance control for the first little bit.
That's a good question. It goes way back for me. I had a Ping G2 Anser D that I tried to replace for 8 years, but each time I bought a new Odyssey (when I was a Hot List buyer) I couldn't make it work. The worst was an White Hot XG Rossie. I dropped EVERY practice putt in the store with it, then seemed to leave everything short on the golf course. I don't remember how long I stuck with it, but I'd say the better part of a year. In July of 2013 I bought an Si3 and gamed it for the rest of the year. I dropped some bombs with it, but overall I was very inconsistent. I purchased an X2 at the end of the year, and that is what I plan on gaming going into 2014 (I also have M2 and PTM1 putters).

In all honesty, my inconsistency comes from lack of practice, not what I am using. But that "mental block" of using inserts is one I'm fighting.

I've always liked inserts a lot since I tend to hit a little too hard. The sound of a few of the inserts out there are also very pleasing.

I am an Insert fan, for sure. Without a doubt, my favorite it the Pure Roll from Taylormade. Fell in love with it initially in the Corza Ghost and am thankful that they continue to work on it on their newer models.

Metal-X from Odyssey was a new style, and I immediately fell in love with that style as well.

For me, the insert is a nice feature to have, as it can really define the putter feel for the golfer, and via inserts, can really help the consumer narrow down their choice.
I'm also currently in love with the Pure Roll insert. I use a heavier head in my putters, counterbalanced with a 1.3 SuperStroke. That sacrifices some feel in favor of stability, although it's still there. So, for me the insert preference is more about what seems to roll the ball more consistently. It's hard for me to say if it's the insert that is providing the results I've seen, but my current gamer is a Ghost Manta 385g head with the Pure Roll insert, and I have never liked a putter as much as I do this one. I putt so well with it that I don't think I'll be experimenting with others... until I get accepted for the 2015 THPMC :D. I can say though, that I have other putters set up similarly and this one beats them all.

Awesome thread here Jman. I have to say the best putting I've done was with an insert. It was with the Odyssey White Ice #1 I had. Being new in the game and not knowing much of anything equipment wise I fell under the "I need a milled" putter phase. Looking back now I wish I never sold it. I think putting is obviously the most personal aspect of golf and I think it all comes down to feel. That being said if there wasn't a benefit or if people didn't like insert putters, they would all be milled.

Im not a fan of inserts. Ive tried various ones and have never been able to find one that gives me the sound/feel that I like. For me, theyre always either too clicky or too soft.

I have played plenty of inserts versus not. By and large, I can see the advantages of the insert as the designer can really move weight around to increase the MOI and also provide different visual cues. I've been pretty satisfied with the arm lock DART with which I am putting now. That said, when I am playing a round strictly for fun (say with the kids), my ancient Ping Anser with soundslot always comes with me. Something about the incredible feel and feedback makes it my favorite to play by far even knowing I am probably giving up strokes by using it.

We have had a few different insert threads but none hitting on exactly what I want to get to, so a new thread is OK here IMO.

Now, I pride myself on knowing a lot about putters from a design perspective as it pertains to balance, roll, sound (feel), materials, production processes, etc...but one area I'm not quite happy with my all around familiarity is with inserts.

Clearly there are TONS of different inserts out there and no two are alike, but talking to JB in Florida at the show the comment came up as we were talking about all kinds of things that people make a large fuss about milled putters here (I'm guilty as a "milled guy") but if we simply look to the PGA Tour the number of insert users DWARFS that of non-insert users. Heck, Odyssey is something like 40+% on the tour, and they don't pay, clearly there is something to it all.

So, why not have a discussion about it all? What are your thoughts? What are your favorites? Why do you lean the way you do on the topic? This one could be a good one for ALL of us to learn something.

I think most milled putters look amazing but it takes time and a lot of testing to find one that fits well. I always look at distance control in a putter and find that with a milled putter I usually end up 8 feet past the hole. I have found success with bronze or copper milled putters and I think they deliver a softer blow to the ball. Maybe it's in my head because I love the looks of the finish but I find I putt much better with one.

Insert putters on the other hand have a lot of technology built into them and are so diverse it's easier to find one that fits.

If I can find a milled putter that works I will play that first but most of my putters have been inserts one of my favourites is the blue one from the Ping Craz-E putter.

Does different milling make a putter hot or softer?

I've liked two inserts- the metal x and the new Cleveland. Other than that I'm a milled guy

I think most milled putters look amazing but it takes time and a lot of testing to find one that fits well. I always look at distance control in a putter and find that with a milled putter I usually end up 8 feet past the hole. I have found success with bronze or copper milled putters and I think they deliver a softer blow to the ball. Maybe it's in my head because I love the looks of the finish but I find I putt much better with one.

Insert putters on the other hand have a lot of technology built into them and are so diverse it's easier to find one that fits.

If I can find a milled putter that works I will play that first but most of my putters have been inserts one of my favourites is the blue one from the Ping Craz-E putter.

Does different milling make a putter hot or softer?

It alters the sound which leads to many feeling one is hotter (clickier sound and therefore a "harder" sensation) and one being softer (deeper milling reducing surface area contacting the ball at impact or a material which is more dense, each leaves a deeper audible feedback which most associate with "softer").

It alters the sound which leads to many feeling one is hotter (clickier sound and therefore a "harder" sensation) and one being softer (deeper milling reducing surface area contacting the ball at impact or a material which is more dense, each leaves a deeper audible feedback which most associate with "softer").

Your a wealth of information today. Thanks man.

So then it seems strange to me that I get better results from a copper or bronze putter when comparing milled putters.

There was a softer insert in my old TM Vicino Spider that I enjoyed, also the old odyssey 2 ball black insert.

Your a wealth of information today. Thanks man.

So then it seems strange to me that I get better results from a copper or bronze putter when comparing milled putters.

I do too to be honest, hence why my PR's get more play than the others in my collection. For me the slightly more dense tone helps me mentally to be more "sure" in the stroke.

In the end though, I know that insert vs milled, soft vs hard, quiet vs clicky, and so on are all mental differences. From a performance standpoint there isn't much difference in them all IMO (oh I know me saying that will surely irritate some but its the truth IMO). But, as we know the mental portion is huge in golf, so if we perceive it to make a difference, we will then magnify that in out heads most times to the point of "I can't play with that because" and so forth. Its what we all do best, haha

I do too to be honest, hence why my PR's get more play than the others in my collection. For me the slightly more dense tone helps me mentally to be more "sure" in the stroke.

In the end though, I know that insert vs milled, soft vs hard, quiet vs clicky, and so on are all mental differences. From a performance standpoint there isn't much difference in them all IMO (oh I know me saying that will surely irritate some but its the truth IMO). But, as we know the mental portion is huge in golf, so if we perceive it to make a difference, we will then magnify that in out heads most times to the point of "I can't play with that because" and so forth. Its what we all do best, haha

I guess when I think about it, your right. It's all about sound. Milled putters are usually give off a more "clicky" sound and therefore I think harder and faster. Whereas an insert the sound is much softer and therefore I think softer and slower.

I think that's where Odyssey has improved and made the new white hot insert a little firmer to give that sensation that it's a hotter face.

I've gamed a few insert putters over the years and liked them but I definitely prefer the feel of a solid or milled face. I bought a 2 Ball putter way back in 2002 and hated it that much I sold it for less than 50% of what I paid for it less than 2 weeks after buying it. It was ridiculously soft and I couldn't get the hang of it at all. I've tested newer insert putters and they've definitely come a long way, namely SeeMore and Odyssey's white hot pro. That said, I just can't see myself ever owning one?

I guess when I think about it, your right. It's all about sound. Milled putters are usually give off a more "clicky" sound and therefore I think harder and faster. Whereas an insert the sound is much softer and therefore I think softer and slower.

I think that's where Odyssey has improved and made the new white hot insert a little firmer to give that sensation that it's a hotter face.

I agree 1000%, and honestly, that was a lot of the motivation for me making this thread.

I agree 1000%, and honestly, that was a lot of the motivation for me making this thread.

When you really sit down and think about it, it's dead on. I really don't think there is much of a difference performance wise.

Take today, I have my MXM and Versa #9 out practicing. Same stroke each time, same distance. But the sound of both are pretty similar. A muted click and it just fits me well.

Honestly never played an insert putter. I think inserts do give a little bit more leeway with control by the manufacturers, but I think they can do some pretty amazing things with milled putters too.

Dangit James, why do you ask the hard questions?

I was an insert guy when I started and found a milled putter and have not looked back. For me its a feel. But as talked about above I want to go hit the new white hot to see feel. But when I have a milled putter when I am purring it the feel is just completely different than an insert.

Here is a follow on question. Do you pick a putter based on the feel/sound of a perfectly struck ball or one that you hit off center or a combination of both. I personally look at both because when I am looking at my miss I want to know where on the face impact occurred.

Im not a fan of inserts. Ive tried various ones and have never been able to find one that gives me the sound/feel that I like. For me, theyre always either too clicky or too soft.

I was like this until I came across the Nike putters. They give just enough extra pop on slow greens to make it feel like a milled face putter.

Here is a follow on question. Do you pick a putter based on the feel/sound of a perfectly struck ball or one that you hit off center or a combination of both. I personally look at both because when I am looking at my miss I want to know where on the face impact occurred.

Great question. For me, I need to consider all strokes.

I was like this until I came across the Nike putters. They give just enough extra pop on slow greens to make it feel like a milled face putter.
Ive had a couple Method Cores and was not a fan. I didnt like the pop that they give. My miss is typically due to speed, so the pop of that insert is not what I need.

Ive had a couple Method Cores and was not a fan. I didnt like the pop that they give. My miss is typically due to speed, so the pop of that insert is not what I need.

Same here accept for me the pop fixed my speed :)

Back