PGA Super Store fitting

Nebgolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
#GolfIsFun
Wanted to see if anyone has gone through a fitting from PGA SS, and what all it entailed. We don't have one near us, but I'll be down in Dallas the end of the month, and was hoping to get a fitting on the J40 line of clubs. In talking with the customer service folks, they don't charge for a fitting, but I'm not sure how comprehensive the fitting was or what I should expect. This will be my first fitting, so I'm a little anxious about the whole process.

It all depends on who you get. My experience has always been less than desirable. I always feel like they are trying to force me into a set. The fitting itself is pretty standard. They take all the main tangibles; height, distance of wrist to ground, total wingspan, and hand size. They'll them give you the irons you want to try and let you swing away. Sometimes the guy will watch, but most of thr time they'll walk away and help someone else and come back with, "So, what did you think?" Most of the time they won't have all of the shafts offered unless it's Ping, Mizuno, Titleist, etc. Not always their fault they don't get a full fitting.

I have gotten some quality fitters that will stand there and watch every shot and start pulling things for you to try. The whole thing lasts maybe 15 minutes.

Rap-a-tap Tappin' on my SG4

Based on the "fitting" I had at the PGASS in Dallas I would say you are better off at a Golftec or something similar. I don't know if they are all like the one I got, but I was very unimpressed. They put some impact tape on the iron and walked away. Then I hit it a few times and about 25 minutes later he came back and told me I needed to try different irons.

Haha, I think adamw238 got the same guy I got in downers grove, twice I got this kid 20 something years old he think he knows everything about everybody's swing, funny thing is,, I think he is the smartest guy there, bad thing he knows it.

Based on the "fitting" I had at the PGASS in Dallas I would say you are better off at a Golftec or something similar. I don't know if they are all like the one I got, but I was very unimpressed. They put some impact tape on the iron and walked away. Then I hit it a few times and about 25 minutes later he came back and told me I needed to try different irons.

This has generally been my experience as well. It's a chance to try irons at different settings and possibly with different shaft options. However, there's nothing too exotic, and I don't think that you're getting properly fit. This is especially true with woods, because they typically only have the stock offerings for each line.

With the that said, it is free, so I wouldn't expect it to be as extensive as other fitting experiences.

I feel the overall service for fittings would be rated as a B at best for fittings. They do have a lot of club and shaft combos to help out but you don't get a true fitting experience like you would at a lot of places.

The other thing is half the time the balls feel dead off the club face and the simulators are so inconsistent

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

I don't know if they carry Bridgestone, but there is a Cool Clubs in Dallas-Fort Worth and I would be hard pressed to find someone who does fitting better then them. Its not cheap, but I think its as close to tour level as you will get.

Along the lines of what has already been said. I did a driver fitting and the guy only had me hit 3 clubs, seemed annoyed I was there, then gave me a paper after 10 minutes with a recommendation.

I have to echo many of the comments. Some PGA SS locations are better than others. I've had two solid experiences Imyself with an iron fitting and another time with a driver fitting. Both of those were at the former PGA SS Buckhead which closed around 2008.

I had disappointing experiences on two different occasions at the PGA SS location in Kennesaw when taking my teenagers for fittings. Very indifferent there, so much so that we just walked out on one off them. Took the kids to the PGA SS Roswell location the next weekend and had another great experience.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Sounds like it's really hit or miss, but it's certainly priced right. I guess I'll just go in hoping they have Bridgestone clubs to hit, and if not I'm only out my time. I've never even heard of Cool Clubs, but it does sound like a pretty quality fitting, though I didn't see Bridgestone as one of their brand partners.

It all depends on who you get. My experience has always been less than desirable. I always feel like they are trying to force me into a set. The fitting itself is pretty standard. They take all the main tangibles; height, distance of wrist to ground, total wingspan, and hand size. They'll them give you the irons you want to try and let you swing away. Sometimes the guy will watch, but most of thr time they'll walk away and help someone else and come back with, "So, what did you think?" Most of the time they won't have all of the shafts offered unless it's Ping, Mizuno, Titleist, etc. Not always their fault they don't get a full fitting.

I have gotten some quality fitters that will stand there and watch every shot and start pulling things for you to try. The whole thing lasts maybe 15 minutes.

Rap-a-tap Tappin' on my SG4

I had the same experience. Thought it would be better.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

This is a smart man here. Listen to him. If you want a correct fitting, spend the $100 with Golftec. You will be dealing with a golf pro and fitter and not "I need a part time job cause I'm retired now" PGA Superstore employee. It's hit or miss but you'll get what you paid for either way.

Also, after going to the new Golfsmith off Plano/Preston, I would highly recommend going there. It is wonderful.

I was able to get to PGA while in Dallas for the Adams event and came away unimpressed. They didn't have any demo models of J40 anything so had to use taped up clubs. The guy told me I shouldn't be playing Lethals (and that Chrome+ was a bad ball) and I should pick up the e6. While I agree the e6 is a great ball, his other blanket statements seem a little misinformed. Also, he'd never heard of THP, so maybe that explains his misinformation?

Havent done one at PGA SS but my experiences with "box" store fittings have been less than ideal

I wish I would have read this thread before we played Friday, I have a new set of j40's you could have used all day:banghead:.

No worries, man. I've got a pretty good idea on these, and had a 5 and 6 in the bag with the same shaft as yours. The driver, fw, and hybrids are the big questions, with driver being the biggest.

I was going to take my daughter to one of the PGA stores for fitting and to try different clubs. She is 17 and the store is 2 1/2 hours away. I was going there to see what kind of club and shaft would work for her. She has played Acuity clubs for 3 months, been off for other sports since Nov., and going to start playing again and will play in college at a small school. Went to Dick's last week and the person there told us that she needs senior clubs and she should not be fitted. That it isn't worth the price.
My other choice is to go to a taylormade lab and she can get a sure fit or a monitor fitting, but I presume it would just be for the speedblades. Could I use this fitting for any other brand of clubs after I get it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Living in Dallas I am lucky to have access to several fitting facilities. IMHO the big box stores such as PGS SS and Golfsmith are a great place to try out the latest clubs (generally) but most are there to sell clubs. Some are better than others. A recent development here is the 90 day playability guarantee from PGA SS! Not a money back deal but return for store credit. If you are really interested in a club you can try it and return for credit.

But I am now convinced that you get what you pay for so I have been fitted at Cool Clubs. Not cheap for sure but you learn a great deal about your swing and get some solid recommendations with options. Mine involved reshafting current clubs as well as a new driver head and adjusting lofts and lies on current clubs which is something you done usually get from a store. Sometimes just adjusting you current set is a much better solution. This involved not only the results from Trackman but outside.

Back