Nike Covert 2.0 Driver Preview

Last year H upcharge was $89.99. Might be somewhere around that?

I was curious what those up charge codes meant

The sheet I have from last year shows the up charge prices. "I" is $129.99 and then it basically goes up around $50 for each letter up until "Z".

7e2azyqa.jpg

uze4agu2.jpg

I wonder what you'd get if you had a z upcharge ?
I've heard of some $1000 shafts from well known companies
I guess it would be that :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder what you'd get if you had a z upcharge ?
I've heard of some $1000 shafts from well known companies
I guess it would be that :D

It's scary to think what it could be. According to the product guide a Kiyoshi White is a "Q" which is the biggest upcharge I've found. Still, big money.

Tapping on my Galaxy Note 2...

While it's probably the opposite of what I need from a fitting perspective, there are a few things I really like about this driver. Hit a good number of balls with it today.

Lower spinning for sure. Toe misses really tossed out some knucklers for me. That's no surprise based on the type of driver it is.

Trajectory was on the low side for me. Higher swing speed and higher spin guys will probably have no problem elevating the ball.

Sets up really nicely. Well balanced. Nice shape. I like the red crown.

I thought it sounded pretty good. Not all that unlike the 588 Custom really. That muted 'crack' sound.

I think Nike has the best adjustment system out there. It's so easy to use and you can keep you face angle how you like it while adjusting the loft. Love it on the hybrids and love it on the driver. Bumped it up to 12° after just a few low balls.

Found a picture of the new irons online...not sure I like the look better than the original coverts or the vr-s x's...
1027725-aaa.jpg

While it's probably the opposite of what I need from a fitting perspective, there are a few things I really like about this driver. Hit a good number of balls with it today.

Lower spinning for sure. Toe misses really tossed out some knucklers for me. That's no surprise based on the type of driver it is.

Trajectory was on the low side for me. Higher swing speed and higher spin guys will probably have no problem elevating the ball.

Sets up really nicely. Well balanced. Nice shape. I like the red crown.

I thought it sounded pretty good. Not all that unlike the 588 Custom really. That muted 'crack' sound.

I think Nike has the best adjustment system out there. It's so easy to use and you can keep you face angle how you like it while adjusting the loft. Love it on the hybrids and love it on the driver. Bumped it up to 12° after just a few low balls.

How was it after you bumped it to 12* ?
What was different?

Found a picture of the new irons online...not sure I like the look better than the original coverts or the vr-s x's...
1027725-aaa.jpg

There is a thread about these irons already on THP. I cannot link from my phone but use the search and you should find it

How was it after you bumped it to 12* ?
What was different?

Ball flight was higher. Still bordering on mid-trajectory at best for me though.

No worries buddy. Always happy to help.

Great pictures, Hawk. I live the looks of the Covert woods. Something about that red just makes the look so nice. I'm not likely to buy this as my heart is pretty set on the Alpha, but I'm really liking what Nike is doing with this line.

Hawk, what is the feedback like on a mishit? Can you tell it was off the toe or low? Is the sound much different on misses?

Rap-a-tap Tappin' on my SG4

Great pictures, Hawk. I live the looks of the Covert woods. Something about that red just makes the look so nice. I'm not likely to buy this as my heart is pretty set on the Alpha, but I'm really liking what Nike is doing with this line.

Hawk, what is the feedback like on a mishit? Can you tell it was off the toe or low? Is the sound much different on misses?

Funny you say that, because I actually hit a few off the heel yesteday and I never do that. Normally I'm a toe guy and I hit some of those too. Yep, I knew before I even looked. Felt it in the hands and the sound was much less 'robust' I guess?

I'm with you. I actually like the look quite a bit. Then add in the great loft adjustment.

Funny you say that, because I actually hit a few off the heel yesteday and I never do that. Normally I'm a toe guy and I hit some of those too. Yep, I knew before I even looked. Felt it in the hands and the sound was much less 'robust' I guess?

I'm with you. I actually like the look quite a bit. Then add in the great loft adjustment.

I have the same miss too. Either that or a low and towards the heel a bit. What are your thoughts on the LM silver and this head? I had to change it out on the current model. The ball never got up. Sounds like you have had the same experience here.

The adjustability is amazing and simple.

You are asking about the shaft I assume?

I thought it was pretty stiff and more or less the opposite of what I like in a shaft. I like a little more play tip side and the ball flight definitely was on the lower side.

How are things going with this guy Hawk? After watching people bash it at the PGA Show it seems like the sound has certainly improved from last years version.

Good timing. Review will be written today or tomorrow.

I actually like it. It's giving me pretty good numbers with a little swing improvement. Still probably a little lower spinning than I'd like, but numbers weren't all that bad. Better than expected for sure. I have it set to 12° in the open setting and was seeing 15°/2344 over five decently struck balls. I didn't think it was all that unforgiving either. At least not as much as anticipated with the feedback on the previous model.

Good timing. Review will be written today or tomorrow.

I actually like it. It's giving me pretty good numbers with a little swing improvement. Still probably a little lower spinning than I'd like, but numbers weren't all that bad. Better than expected for sure. I have it set to 12° in the open setting and was seeing 15°/2344 over five decently struck balls. I didn't think it was all that unforgiving either. At least not as much as anticipated with the feedback on the previous model.

Looking forward to reading it. It sounds like the changes that got made have been an improvement and as someone who still games the original version I am interested. I play mine at 11.5 open, but if this is a little less spinning I'd probably be in the same boat you are. I'd love those spin numbers you are seeing. How about that toe miss? I know you said before it produced some knucklers, as you know that's my miss too.

You know, the first few times out it really did throw up some knucklers.

Since then I've been doing some work, not throwing my hands so far inside, hitting the center more and it wasn't all that bad yesterday. I hit one out on the toe and sort of looked with a little cringe, but I only lost a few mph of ball speed and my spin didn't drop to anything crazy. Goes to show how much the indian comes into play I guess lol.

I will say that opening it up did improve my accuracy quite a bit. Basically reduced the leftness by a decent margin.

good to know. Hey what shaft did you test in this guy again?

I got to hit the Tour 2.0 on friday for the first time and came away...interested. The stock shaft is not for me, especially with a stiff flex. I missed just about every shot to the left, with some violent hooks thrown in there. In terms of contact, I thought the face felt a little nicer upon impact, meaning not as harsh as the Tour 1.0 I'm swinging now. The 460 head doesnt look all that much bigger than the 430, but I still prefer the more compact look of the 1.0. My proshop is Nike so we'll get a demo day early on this season and I'm really looking forward to sticking my shaft in the new head and seeing how it performs. I drove the ball really well last year, and the added forgiveness of a 460 head is something I'm definitely interested in.

good to know. Hey what shaft did you test in this guy again?

The KK Tini (spelling may be incorrect). It seemed fine. I suspect bigger swingers may look elsewhere though (see below).

I got to hit the Tour 2.0 on friday for the first time and came away...interested. The stock shaft is not for me, especially with a stiff flex. I missed just about every shot to the left, with some violent hooks thrown in there. In terms of contact, I thought the face felt a little nicer upon impact, meaning not as harsh as the Tour 1.0 I'm swinging now. The 460 head doesnt look all that much bigger than the 430, but I still prefer the more compact look of the 1.0. My proshop is Nike so we'll get a demo day early on this season and I'm really looking forward to sticking my shaft in the new head and seeing how it performs. I drove the ball really well last year, and the added forgiveness of a 460 head is something I'm definitely interested in.

Was it too soft for you? I just ask because I thought it was decent and I'm not a big swing speed guy with the driver.

Back