Anyone deal with Leg cramps?

WardF

#TeamDOTCOM Member
Reaction score
Handicap
With much range and play time going in, I have had a couple of times lately--usually after a long day when I have been sitting idle for a while, that my legs will just cramp up. Had this some back in the summer when it was 104 out and I spent 2 hours on the range after a full round--did not expect it after a nice cool day where I had liquids and never felt like I was hurting out on the course or range.

Anyone else have this? In the summer I had started using some of the Nuun pills in water to help in the high heat, guessing I need more electrolytes even though I am not sweating profusely? Better nutrition or other supplements recommended?

Funny but painful story--the leg locked up with a cramp the other night after sitting at the computer following a long round and practice session, I flopped around trying to stretch it out then the stomach locked up with another cramp. DOH! the wife was just laughing at me.

I can't remember when the last time I got one while playing, or anytime outside doing anything.

Mine usually wake me up from a deep sleep.

I can't remember when the last time I got one while playing, or anytime outside doing anything.

Mine never happen in the round--its always after I am sitting on the couch or at the computer after a long day or play/practice.

I had a wicked cramp in my right calf wake me up from dead sleep last fall after I had hit a bunch of balls earlier in the day. Felt like my calf was gonna tear in half. Took me about 10 seconds to get it worked out and it was sore for 3 days after that. Never had it happen before and it hasn't happened since. Would prefer it not happen again. Wish I had an answer as to why. I was always told lack of fluids.

I have had the same issues with my left calf. Glad I'm not the only one. I have discussed this with my physiotherapist and she has heard of this before. She thinks it's caused by my lower back so she works in it regularly. Her only other suggestion is to keep starting that calf out to keep it loose.

I used to suffer from these in high school until I got wise and started preventing them. I had to chug mustard and pickle juice before I got smart and researched you are probably depleted in potassium and bananas are an easy way to prevent it.

I used to suffer from these in high school until I got wise and started preventing them. I had to chug mustard and pickle juice before I got smart and researched you are probably depleted in potassium and bananas are an easy way to prevent it.

I have heard the potassium thing before, I may also look into supplements that contain higher quantities of it and see how that helps.

....bananas are an easy way to prevent it.

Another excuse for me to get an extra slice of banana cream pie! Excellent! I sure wasn't going to be doing the mustard and pickle juice thing. :)

I have heard the potassium thing before, I may also look into supplements that contain higher quantities of it and see how that helps.

Bananas worked for me, some people I've seen drink pediasure or take potassium pills.

I was recommended to take Magnesium tablets to help with my leg cramps, really do help..

The cure I use for leg cramps that I used to get off and on is beer and bananas.
Both delicious and both high in potassium.
Of course, I would eat the banana first and then work on the ice cold beer separately.

I was recommended to take Magnesium tablets to help with my leg cramps, really do help..
hmm, that's a new one will check into it.

hmm, that's a new one will check into it.

My sports masseuse recommended them to me, as have a few other people lately..

In college, we used to drink pedialyte before our races. It tastes nasty, but it does the trick. Hardly ever cramped, before, during, or after competitions.

In college, we used to drink pedialyte before our races. It tastes nasty, but it does the trick. Hardly ever cramped, before, during, or after competitions.

Yeah it can be costly--however the generic copies would not be too bad (Walmart or walgreens brand). I hope with more prevention approach some of the tablets mentioned here will help--may save the pedialyte drink for after practice recovery side.

Banana's and/or magnesium tabs work the best. I use to get so wicked cramps when I was working on the grounds crew during the summer back in college. Long day on the course in hot temps, followed by 18 holes of golf after...then some decent cramps later that evening at home. I quickly researched and found out about banana's and magnesium tabs, works wonders. Plus you can take them on the range or course as they transport easily.

Another thing to have is a strong stretch routine, both before and after exercising. A simple one I do is stand on a step, place one foot halfway off, and then lower it. Hold for 10 seconds, repeat with other foot. Do each foot about 10 times. You should feel that one up the back of your entire leg. The next is to lift yourself up onto the toes of one leg (lift the other completely off the ground) and slowly lower yourself down. Switch feet and repeat (10 times each side). Those are my two basic leg stretches ... there are many others, but those will really work the calves.

you have an electrolyte imbalance that is causing them, without blood tests to figure out which one it is. We are all just guessing at it but the common two are magnesium or potassium and is dependent of your diet. Like Tyler said bananas are a great source of potassium, good source of magnesium are dark leafy greens, nuts, beans and bananas. If you drink a ton of water 10 glasses a more a day you could be dehydrating yourself of key nutrients and electrolytes depending on your diet.

Even if you do not feel like you are sweating profusely you can still dehydrate yourself and loose a lot of sodium and electrolytes if your in a low humidity environment or if thee is a decent breeze. Dry or low humidity environments will pull the sweat off of you as you sweat making it almost impossible to know how much you've sweated, a breeze along with moisture wicking materials will do the same.

A good way to determine how hydrated you are is urine color as long as your not on meds or some vitamins that will change the color of your urine, the olde adage of your urine should be clear is going by the wayside due to the fact that you will have to intake a lot of fluids to obtain and maintain this especially if active, the new thought/theory is that your urine should have a slight color to it. If your urine is constantly clear you are pulling nutrients/electrolytes out of your body through osmosis and literally pissing them away.

Sorry for the long winded answer.

I used to get them in my legs (both quads and hamstrings) when I played baseball/football in college (always post game in the bus ride home).

Last summer I started getting them in my calves mid rounds (when I walked). I have been trying to stretch better and use a roller regularly since I get some nasty knots. Also have started using the electrolyte tablets and have not experienced the issue for at least a few months. Not sure if it is the cooler temp or a combination of the other things but I am going to keep it all up going forward.

Thanks all for the replies. Sounds like I have a plan to try out and update as to how its working.

I will get them sometimes in my calves but it's when I sleep. I'll wake up in the middle of the night with a nasty cramp in my calf. Very painful way to wake up.

I will get them sometimes in my calves but it's when I sleep. I'll wake up in the middle of the night with a nasty cramp in my calf. Very painful way to wake up.

This is when I get them as well, usually in the morning in a calf, just before I wake. Talk about getting out of bed in a hurry, they'll do it to you. The only way stop the cramp is to stand on it. If I remember to take potassium tablets a couple times a week, I have no problems.

This is me as well. I rarely get one, but when I do, it is often in bed at night.

you have an electrolyte imbalance that is causing them, without blood tests to figure out which one it is.

I have a thing called Addison's Disease that causes my body to not hold on to electrolytes without medication. I get cramps regularly too if I have been sweating or doing anything strenuous.

The quick fix for me is... Nuun. Drink it - cramps gone. I drink it any time I am doing activities where I sweat a lot and even when I have colds and flu.

Cramps used to be a significant problem for me in the evening after playing golf. I usually walk and that may be a contributing factor. For years, I have eaten several bananas every day but that didn't seem to help. I think golfinFF is spot on about the electrolyte imbalance because the problem for me occurs without rhyme or reason, some days they are awful some days nothing.

I related this to a couple of my doctors and finally one of them gave me the most useful information, when the cramps strike, swallow a half spoon of baking soda, if that doesn't stop the cramp, swallow another half spoon. This has been a miracle for me. When the cramps strike, at worse the quads, groin, and calf muscles would all cramp at once at best only one set of muscles would cramp. It was an hour or more of misery as I tried to to work them out. One doctor gave me a prescription for muscle relaxers which would knock me out for 12 hours but the baking soda is wonderful. It works for me, ask your doc if it is ok for you to take soda then try it.

I still eat 2-3 bananas and have at least one drink with electrolytes per round, then have the baking soda near at night.

Back