Aim for the Pin or the Center of the Green?

This is an interesting topic. Depending on pin location, where the trouble is and not trying to short side myself is how I see my shots in to the green. Execution may be not as planned, but trying to manage the course is high on the list for my rounds.

First off how did tou not paly it smart? You chose a club that would reach your intended yardage and hit. None of the other stuff happened. Center of the green or pin seeking is a day to day choice. If you are swinging bad, then center of the green but even then you may still miss the green. If you are swinging good, take dean aim.

If you get into a pattern of what ifs, you'll never pull the trigger. Know you skill level and pull the trigger.

Panda is wise.

I play a fade, so if the flag is on the left side of the green, I will take a shot at it so that my fade will take it towards the center of the green if I over cut it. If it is on the right, I will aim for the center of the green so that a fade will take it closer to the hole, I just don't want to short side myself. If it is in the middle of the green, I will aim a bit left of the flag and try and cut it in towards the flag.

I also play a fade and this is exactly how I try to manage my shots into the green.

When I'm "on" I'll fire more at the pin than when I'm not having a good ball striking day. It really depends on the tendency that I'm playing in my game that day. If I get a chance to warm up on the range, I'll usually see what my swing is giving me that day. Then, once on the course, if it stays....then I'm playing that. So depending on my tendency and where the pin is in accordance with the days swing, will give me a green light to a pin or hitting for a spot that works better.

I agree with several others. If I am feeling it that day, then I am taking full go at the pin.

If it is one of those days where its not clicking, I am just aiming for the green. Doesnt even have to be the middle, I am just aiming at getting it on the dance floor.

I aim for the pin most of the time, but I should aim for the middle more often.

A golf pro at the local course told me that until I can consistently hit 50% or more G.I.R. (I am a looooong way from this) round in and round out that pin hunting shouldn't even be in my mindset and that once I do hit a higher percentage G.I.R. going at the pin too often will lead to higher scores. He said where I should aim is situational with many different factors taken into consideration.

I often just aim to be somewhere on the green, but will attack the pin if it's a good day and there's no bunkers I could get into. Bunkers are my enemies.

Aim for the center of the green. I am nowhere near skilled enough to fire at pins ever. Get on the green, 2 putt and get off. If I make it a 1 putt it's a bonus.

After looking at my stats from 35+ rounds last year I will be aiming for the center of the green, as pin hunting did not pay off last year..

GIR - Average (18 holes)
Total
Par 3
27.27%
Par 4
30.08%
Par 5
46.03%

Just really depends on how the hole/green looks to me from where I'm at. A lot of it for me is feel.

Aim center, two putt my way outta there!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I knew I liked you for a reason

For me its all about the risk of the miss--if its tight behind a bunker or close to a water hazard then more toward center--otherwise I am usually going at it.

I usually aim for the center if the green. The only time I go for the pin is when I'm in close (under 70 yards) and there isn't a lot of danger.

Mark me down in the center of the green column. A lot of the time the pin is nearby. When it isn't, I am usually better off going for the heart of the green anyway.

When I know the course, I aim for the low side of the green where I will have an uphill putt. Otherwise it depends on how far I am from the green for my shot in. The closer I am the closer to the pin I aim.

depending on pin placement, yardage, wind...usually ill go after pins aiming out to the right for my draw, into the wind or back pins I will usually take an extra club and try to hit a low knock down shot. For some reason and it only seems to be with my sand wedge I have a push shot which I don't mind really, but I have to aim a little bit to the left from 60 yards

I like to be aggressive, but there are obviously times where the center of the green is the only realistic play, especially if I'm not having my best ball-striking day. I also like to work the ball, especially on longer iron or hybrid approach. Start at the center or slightly outside and work the ball towards the pin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to aim for the center and work it towards the pin. I'll be more aggressive if the miss near the pin placement is an easy up and down.

My rule of thumb is the center of the green most of time; however there are exceptions. I know a course in particular around here has massive greens that could still put you 40ft away from the pin even if you are in the center of the green.

If you can shape your irons, just aim for the middle of the green and setup for a slight draw or a slight fade (depending on where the pin is located). If it tails off towards the hole, great. If it doesn't who cares. Middle of the green never cost me a tournament before.

Just my 2 cents.

Back