Cleveland 588 Fairway Woods Review

Great work Jake, I love the look and versatility of this sole. It looks like they've taken the previous two sets of FW, Mashies and Classic and combined into a great wood!

Great work Jake, I love the look and versatility of this sole. It looks like they've taken the previous two sets of FW, Mashies and Classic and combined into a great wood!

This is a good point. I does kind of look like that is what they did.

Great write-up! I also firmly believe that a FW with superior accuracy is far more beneficial to my game than distance. The fact that you mentioned it still is reasonably long makes this an even more intriguing option for the coming year. I read Cleveland's claims about this club being very easy to get up in the air. Did you find this to be the case? If so, were you seeing the kind of height that you can hit a green and stop it or would you classify it as a lower spinning high ball flight?

I've liked Cleveland Fairway woods for a while now. Looks like this one is another winner.

WICB what woods would you put in your bag? 3 and 5 or maybe just a 4 or 5 wood?

Personally, I'm planning 15.5 and 18. If I hit the driver as well as I think I will, I won't need the 14 or that option off the tee won't be necessary.

Personally, I'm planning 15.5 and 18. If I hit the driver as well as I think I will, I won't need the 14 or that option off the tee won't be necessary.
Just curious, what kind of distance gap would you expect with that loft gap?

Jakester, very nice review dude. I know I saw a lot of what you saw from the fairway in the hybo, accurate, long, and pretty dang easy.

Just curious, what kind of distance gap would you expect with that loft gap?

Well assuming that my distances are the same or similar- I'm looking at 260 or so (give or take about 5-10 yards) with the 15.5 and hopefully 240 -245 with the 18. The 18 is more for off the tee as I need options there.

I am hoping my driver will work well for me to. I alway have issues with getting the ball up with a 3 wood so my guess would be no 3 wood and go with a 4 or 5 wood. Say I plan to hit this on Friday if its in town at the golf store, then I will really find out how well I can hit this three wood. I think if its as great as the new 588 hybrid these fairway woods will be a hot seller. Plus I thought the price for them was less than what I thought they were going to be.

I am hoping my driver will work well for me to. I alway have issues with getting the ball up with a 3 wood so my guess would be no 3 wood and go with a 4 or 5 wood. Say I plan to hit this on Friday if its in town at the golf store, then I will really find out how well I can hit this three wood. I think if its as great as the new 588 hybrid these fairway woods will be a hot seller. Plus I thought the price for them was less than what I thought they were going to be.
Exactly. It's all going to kind of depend on how well I hit the driver. If I am point and shoot, then the 14 is somewhat useless. If I need a longer option, the setup might be 14 and 18

Cleveland 588 Fairway Woods Review

Well assuming that my distances are the same or similar- I'm looking at 260 or so (give or take about 5-10 yards) with the 15.5 and hopefully 240 -245 with the 18. The 18 is more for off the tee as I need options there.
Ha, that's the exact opposite of how I "planned" on using them. I was thinking of the 14.5 more as a driver replacement (which is something I've never really tried), and the 18 for longer shots off the deck.

Man, I love talking about this stuff. Is it July yet?

Ha, that's the exact opposite of how I "planned" on using them. I was thinking of the 14.5 more as a driver replacement (which is something I've never really tried), and the 18 for longer shots off the deck.

Man, I love talking about this stuff. Is it July yet?

I know right? That is my thought as well. But like I said, if I am pumping the driver, the 14 is a wasted club as I wont use it much off the deck.

Jakester, very nice review dude. I know I saw a lot of what you saw from the fairway in the hybo, accurate, long, and pretty dang easy.
That would setup to be a lethal combination at the top of a bag wouldn't it? This 3 wood with a 18* hybrid or something...hello!!!

I know right? That is my thought as well. But like I said, if I am pumping the driver, the 14 is a wasted club as I wont use it much off the deck.
Your thoughts make complete sense to me. And, the more I think about it, if the 14.5 DID work as a driver replacement....why have the driver?

That would setup to be a lethal combination at the top of a bag wouldn't it? This 3 wood with a 18* hybrid or something...hello!!!

Dude, the 20 is a caaaaannon. It really would be a hell of a 1-2 punch IMO.

That is my plan. 15.5 and 18 in this and 20.5 hybo

Your thoughts make complete sense to me. And, the more I think about it, if the 14.5 DID work as a driver replacement....why have the driver?

Right. Hence my thoughts about the 15.5. More control and better gaps - for me anyways.

Great write up Jake. This along with the 588 hybrids are looking really attractive to me right now! Did you hit the Mashie FWs? Curious if there's any comparisons you could draw there. I will be hitting this at some point. I love the sound of the accuracy comments. Wondering if this could be the one that finally kicks the F5 out of the bag...

Jman have you been able to hit these fairway woods to see if there a cannon to like the hybrid?

Right. Hence my thoughts about the 15.5. More control and better gaps - for me anyways.
"More control and better gaps." I like the sound of that.

Now my questions have all changes. Two fairways or two hybrids?

Hollywood! Great final review my friend. I agree 100%! Love the look and change of these fairway woods! They just look flat out mean at address! Glad you had some good success with this one! Very encouraging for the rest of us!

"More control and better gaps." I like the sound of that.

Now my questions have all changes. Two fairways or two hybrids?

I might go two and two :)

I might go two and two :)
I thought you might say that. I've never played two fairways before, and the only time I tried to game two hybrids, I hit the 4h further than the 3h. Nothing like all new equipment and a setup you've never played before going into the biggest golf event of your life…

Hollywood! Great final review my friend. I agree 100%! Love the look and change of these fairway woods! They just look flat out mean at address! Glad you had some good success with this one! Very encouraging for the rest of us!
Thanks buddy! I have some reviews yet to come though, so you haven't seen the last of me yet!

I love that this fw backed up that great look 100% by performing as great as it has!

Back