Well my Chiro says it's a herniated disc L5, but my dr says no it's a muscle issue. Kind of a huge difference IMO and he won't prescribe me oral steroids that my Chiro recommends to help solve the issue. Pain has gotten better, but I've decided to get an MRI to see if in fact it's a disc issue. It would be nice if these guys could agree on the root of the problem as it's extremely frustrating not knowing the cause of the pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well my Chiro says it's a herniated disc L5, but my dr says no it's a muscle issue. Kind of a huge difference IMO and he won't prescribe me oral steroids that my Chiro recommends to help solve the issue. Pain has gotten better, but I've decided to get an MRI to see if in fact it's a disc issue. It would be nice if these guys could agree on the root of the problem as it's extremely frustrating not knowing the cause of the pain.

I'm glad you're getting an MRI. The first time I described my pain to an orthopedic Dr he said I probably had piriformis syndrome. He took X-rays of my back and told me my spine looked like one of an 18 year old. I saw a different Dr later who sent me for an MRI which showed 2 herniated discs.

Bald

Is the Doc a regular Doctor, or an orthopedic doctor? Have you had at least an X-ray? If not, I would definitely get that done before going further. Is the Doc you are seeing an ortho, or a general practitioner? if so, I'd put the money on the chiro... especially since he has worked with you before, and that is his area of expertise. Either way, without taking a "look" I think it is doing you a great disservice. - the back is one area you don't want to guess about.

You need the MRI. They're all blind without it. They're a piece of cake. You'll be glad when it's done and a Dr has the detailed scan. It's the only way to be sure.

Bulging discs can cause muscle issues and only MRI will add certainty. Good luck.

Hey all. Scheduled to go for an MRI on my neck this evening.

I am HIGHLY HIGHLY claustrophobic, so the doctor prescribed me 10mg of Valium to take 20-30 minutes before the scan. I am scared to death of MRIs, so my question is... will the 10mg of Valium work? Should I take 20mg?

Will the valium make me fall asleep?!

I am HIGHLY HIGHLY claustrophobic, so the doctor prescribed me 10mg of Valium to take 20-30 minutes before the scan. I am scared to death of MRIs, so my question is... will the 10mg of Valium work? Should I take 20mg?

I have no idea if it will work or not. My only advice to you is to keep your eyes closed the entire time. There will be someone monitoring you and conversing with you during the procedure. I'm sure they'll keep you calm and offer suggestions. Good luck!

From my experience as an MRI tech it all depends everyone is different. I have seen people take less and not have a care in the world, I have also seen someone take more and still freak out. Just remember that it shouldn't be a horrible long exam and it will make a huge difference in your treatment if they know what is going on. If you have someone that can go with you ask if they can be screened and hold your hand during the test. Every facility is different, but I have had luck with this as they know someone is right there with them. You might also try a washcloth over your eyes it helps sometimes also. Good luck.

Thanks for all the feedback! MRI went smooth and hope to hear something soon. I was actually falling asleep in the thing even tho it was pretty loud.

Thanks for all the feedback! MRI went smooth and hope to hear something soon. I was actually falling asleep in the thing even tho it was pretty loud.

You will be relieved knowing what the cause is behind your pain :thumb:

You'll be good. You might not fall asleep, but you'll perceive the MRI as being over in 15 minutes.

Well, finally went over MRI results today. Thankfully, the pain has been minimal lately. So I have a minor bulge L4-L5 and a small central tear and left/right facet arthropathy.

Just an update after my facet joint injections. It has been 11 days since I had it.

The pain is VERY slightly better. I am disappointed that it didnt work better. I have been keeping a pain log for the past 10 days and the best day was the day I received the injection. I go back this coming Friday for the doctor to take a look at the pain log and for him to discuss what is next.

I believe the next step is a "nerve block" injection.

Guess I should jump into this thread. 3 1/2 years ago I just couldn't take the pain I had for the 10+ years prior. I had my l5-s1 vertebrates fused. Prior to this my back would seize pretty regularly and I had the most painful sciatica. I would have to go to the guest room and just cry from the pain so my wife could sleep. I was 33 at the time of the surgery and I'm happy to say I've had zero problems since.

I hope that everyone who deals with back pain is able to find relief one way or another. I don't wish this on anyone.

Update: 3 weeks post op

Saw Dr today and he said I'm doing good. Nerve pain continues to decrease and he thinks I will be pain free within 3 month of surgery. Starting PT and swimming/walking encouraged.

I can slowly start back golfing mid March. He recommended chipping/putting/pitching at first then only 9 holes. I'll probably hang around the par 3 course for a few weeks when I start back.

Last edited:
Very encouraging news! Glad to hear your doing well.

Saw Dr today and he said I'm doing good. Nerve pain continues to decrease and he thinks I will be pain free within 3 month of surgery. Starting PT and swimming/walking encouraged.

I can slowly start back golfing mid March. He recommended chipping/putting/pitching at first then only 9 holes. I'll probably hang around the par 3 course for a few weeks when I start back.

Good stuff Kelly Bo!! Have you given any thought into buying a long putter? That and a suction cup thing at the end of the grip is what I used to take it easy on the back. Worked really well.

Good stuff Kelly Bo!! Have you given any thought into buying a long putter? That and a suction cup thing at the end of the grip is what I used to take it easy on the back. Worked really well.

I have a counterbalanced Seemore that is 36" but I choke down on it. I could borrow one of Bill's long putters I guess. I bought a suction cup thing in December that is great! Can't wait to get back out there but it will still be a while. At least I have a date to look forward to now!

Frickin' awesome Kelly - really good news!

This is fantatic news, even though you're not supporting Team Hackers. My doc said low irons and chipping for me too. I showed him though and went right to the 3w on the range. Then I hurtfor a week. Keep getting better

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

Very encouraging Kelly. Slow progress, I know, but progress none the less. At least now you can see the light at the end of the tunnel an have a target date. Let's hope he was being conservative, as they normally are, and you're back pain-free much earlier.

Keep up the good work KellyBo. Cannot wait to have you back out there

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Beth had an MRI today. Looking like she is joining us in this thread!

Glad to hear of your progress, Kelly.

Uh oh, sorry to hear that! Hoping she'll be one of the lucky ones that heals on her own.

Adam, you were right about week 3. Feel so much better, then do too much and start hurting bad afterwards. I've got to find that happy medium.

Uh oh, sorry to hear that! Hoping she'll be one of the lucky ones that heals on her own.

Adam, you were right about week 3. Feel so much better, then do too much and start hurting bad afterwards. I've got to find that happy medium.

Lol! I decided at 3 weeks that I was well enough to clean the house. Hoping you didnt do that.

Lol! I decided at 3 weeks that I was well enough to clean the house. Hoping you didnt do that.

Grocery shopping, cleaning, laundry, cooking, visiting grandbaby, walking large fat dog, you name it. I am back taking pain pills which tells me I need to slow way down. I haven't been lifting anything heavy and OG does all heavy work but I know I am squatting, bending and twisting way more than I should be and I'm suffering for it.

Back