TaylorMade SLDR Driver - Review Thread

I'm curious how much farther the current tech of drivers will go because manufacturers can only milk the adjustability feature of clubs for so long. I mean regardless of how much "easier" it gets to adjust your clubs, once you get dialed in, you rarely need to adjust it again. I thought Callaway was onto something with they went with a carbon composite a few years ago, but that seems to have subsided. I'd like to see much smaller sized heads with the same forgiveness you get with these massive headed drivers, but I know physics doesn't agree with me.

I don't think they are even close to being tapped out when it comes to driver technology. Also while not for this thread, Callaway is still using the forged composite material in the Big Bertha drivers this year.

Out of curiosity, why smaller headed drivers? I seem to get better numbers off of them, but I know I am giving up forgiveness in the process. The vast majority of amateurs NEED that forgiveness (I probably do to). What is wrong with 4600cc?

Like most people, I hit my 3 wood better than my driver. Of course, this is probably due to shorter shaft than the smaller head. There are a few reasons, however, that I like a smaller head.

For one thing, I personally like the feeling of extra mass at the club head. To me, I feel like I know where the club head is when it's a little heaver. Modern drivers, with their super light shafts and super light heads make me feel like I'm swinging a long stick. Because the shafts are so long, I lose the feeling of where the club head is during the swing.

In addition to the extra mass and connected feeling I get with a smaller/more compact club head, I feel like I focus better when I don't have such a huge impact area to pick from. I appreciate the forgiveness on mishits, but something in my head says "hit the ball with this dime sized area of this club" as opposed to the huge forgiving drivers which my head says "just swing as fast as long as you make contact, it'll go somewhere."

Extra mass in a smaller driver head? huh?

I'm just saying I like feeling of more mass at the end of the shaft. Helps me know where the club head is during my swing. My original point thought was I that I am curious what the next major advancement will be in drivers. We went from steel to titanium to adjustable. I feel like the adjustable component has been pretty much milked dry and I wonder what club manufacturers will come up with next to keep us buying more.

Like most people, I hit my 3 wood better than my driver. Of course, this is probably due to shorter shaft than the smaller head. There are a few reasons, however, that I like a smaller head.

For one thing, I personally like the feeling of extra mass at the club head. To me, I feel like I know where the club head is when it's a little heaver. Modern drivers, with their super light shafts and super light heads make me feel like I'm swinging a long stick. Because the shafts are so long, I lose the feeling of where the club head is during the swing.

In addition to the extra mass and connected feeling I get with a smaller/more compact club head, I feel like I focus better when I don't have such a huge impact area to pick from. I appreciate the forgiveness on mishits, but something in my head says "hit the ball with this dime sized area of this club" as opposed to the huge forgiving drivers which my head says "just swing as fast as long as you make contact, it'll go somewhere."

Have you swung the SLDR? Actually hit it outside? It is a heavier headed driver. It isn't light. Plus, the 460cc head does have a dime sized sweet spot (at least it feels like it). This is not one of those "just hit the face" type of drivers.

Have you swung the SLDR? Actually hit it outside? It is a heavier headed driver. It isn't light. Plus, the 460cc head does have a dime sized sweet spot (at least it feels like it). This is not one of those "just hit the face" type of drivers.

I've hit it at the local Dick's. We don't have anywhere out here that has an outdoor fitting center. Wish we did though. It was fine as a new driver. Numbers were similar to my current 910.

Like most people, I hit my 3 wood better than my driver. Of course, this is probably due to shorter shaft than the smaller head."

I'm one of those people that is just the opposite. I hit my driver way better than with my 3 wood.

I'm just saying I like feeling of more mass at the end of the shaft. Helps me know where the club head is during my swing. My original point thought was I that I am curious what the next major advancement will be in drivers. We went from steel to titanium to adjustable. I feel like the adjustable component has been pretty much milked dry and I wonder what club manufacturers will come up with next to keep us buying more.
I think that the engineeres can keep figuring out ways to make new/finer adjustments

One thing to remember is that the SLDR has a lower and more forward center of gravity than many other modern drivers. So when you say you're feeling extra mass in the club head, some of that may be that the COG is much closer to the face of the club. Also, the stock shaft is very light which may also help create that feeling that the weight of the club is low and forward.

Oh, and if you're fond of a small but powerful sweet spot, the SLDR might just be the driver for you.

Also, adjustability is, IMO, just starting to get going. The SLDR and TaylorMade still has work to do in terms of adjustability compared to other offerings, and several companies are just now starting to wade into the waters of driver and fairway wood adjustment. I can look at 5 different companies and say they are approaching adjustable drivers 5 different ways. There is still a ton of design space left to be explored, I believe.

Would any of you who switched from an R1 be able to share the loft you used in your R1 and now the loft you are using in the SLDR as well as shaft pairings?

Make sure you give the 430 SLDR a run before you pass judgement. I swear on all things holy it is easier to hit than the 460.

Make sure you give the 430 SLDR a run before you pass judgement. I swear on all things holy it is easier to hit than the 460.

That is good to know every thing i had heard was doom and gloom unforgiving tiny sweet spot. But i had also heard hit on the screws longest driver out thier

That is good to know every thing i had heard was doom and gloom unforgiving tiny sweet spot. But i had also heard hit on the screws longest driver out thier

I don't know what it was, but I was much more consistent with the 430cc version of this driver.

I don't know what it was, but I was much more consistent with the 430cc version of this driver.

have a big Demo day coming on 3/22/14 6-7 of the big guys should be there, so will be sure to try both.

Would any of you who switched from an R1 be able to share the loft you used in your R1 and now the loft you are using in the SLDR as well as shaft pairings?

I had my r1 set at 10°. My 9.5 460 SLDR @ 9.5, My 10.5 430 SLDR @ 10.5.

Both SLDR configurations launched a little lower than the R1 for me. The 430 @ 9.5 launched even lower than the 460 9.5. The 430 @ 10.5 was the most comparable to the R1 @ 10°. If I need to I can loft that up to 12° but i like a low piercing ball flight.

Me too, matched it with a shorter shaft and now im a happy camper. I think psycologically it tricks me into thinking im hitting 3 wood so i can lay a better swing on it.

I hate following this thread.

have a big Demo day coming on 3/22/14 6-7 of the big guys should be there, so will be sure to try both.

I will have to try it when the local Demo Day comes around

I may give the 430 a shot just to compare results with the 460. I've been getting better with the 460 over the winter, but it's still pretty inconsistent for me.

I may give the 430 a shot just to compare results with the 460. I've been getting better with the 460 over the winter, but it's still pretty inconsistent for me.

Ya I think I may also be in the hunt for a 430 once the weather breaks around here. For people to say it's more forgiving is real intriguing to me

I must be in the internet minority. I did not find the 430 more forgiving.

I am not going to dispute that at all. It isn't supposed to be. Maybe it was a mental thing, I dunno, but I got more consistent numbers off the 430 head.

I wonder if maybe those who find it more forgiving had success with the 460. Because if I remember correctly from early on in the testing, this driver wasn't a good match for you right?

I wonder if maybe those who find it more forgiving had success with the 460. Because if I remember correctly from early on in the testing, this driver wasn't a good match for you right?

Please keep in mind, I didn't say it was more forgiving. I just said I got more consistent numbers from my time with it. I don't think it is very forgiving. Granted, I don't think that the Alpha was that forgiving either.

Please keep in mind, I didn't say it was more forgiving. I just said I got more consistent numbers from my time with it. I don't think it is very forgiving. Granted, I don't think that the Alpha was that forgiving either.

I wasn't referring to you. I've seen a couple flat out say it's more forgiving. I guess I should have made that clear in my first comment my bad.

I wasn't referring to you. I've seen a couple flat out say it's more forgiving. I guess I should have made that clear in my first comment my bad.

Oh no worries. I was just adding to your thoughts and extending my own. I see how my wording could come off poorly. I don't think the 430 is more forgiving at all. I don't think either SLDR option is that forgiving. But they are performers. I will add, the stock shaft that Taylormade pair with this driver is pretty bad IMO. That's not a knock on proprietary shafts in general, just a knock on this shaft specifically.

Back