When to pull a hybrid over a 3/4 iron.

Carnage

obsessed
Reaction score
Handicap
Did a quick search and didn't find anything specific to this

I recently bagged a 4/22 hybrid that I can hit fairly well. I also am pretty consistent with the 4 iron...especially from the tee. The distances are similar depending on if I step on it or choke down or what have you.

4 Iron: Between 220 and 240 yds
4 hybrid: Between 220 and 250 yds

This year ill be playing 5 wedges and irons only up to 5. Is there any particular situation you guys can think of that would demand a 4i over a 4 hybrid?

I have not found one. With the OEM's lowering loft changes I found myself dropping the 5 iron as well. There were times I thought I needed a long iron for punch outs or to stay under a tree line, but with the right technique the hybrids are just as effective.

When to pull a hybrid over a 3/4 iron.

I used to think like Erik, would want a 4 iron for those rescue shots and punch shots when you're in trouble, but I don't know if I would use one anymore and would probably just use the. 4 hybo.

The only thing I can think of is if there are shots with that yardage where you felt you needed to be able to shape shots more than you felt you were able to with the hybrid.

For me my hybrid is much harder to keep low. I play in a fair amount of wind every year and typically find it easier to control my ball flight with my irons as opposed to my hybo. Flat and penetrating = long iron.....High and soft = hybo.

I actually can hit my 4h a lot more consistently than I hit my 4i, so the 4i is out of the bag. Freed me up to add another wedge.

most people will hit the hybrid more consistant and longer then their 4I. since i have never gamed a 4i idk if i am the best refrence but if you get a more pro style hybrid you shouldnt have problems keeping it down if you know what to do in your swing. the bigger GI hybrids might launch the ball too high for your liking.

Id hit the 4H off the tee more than I would the 4I cause I seem to get a nice high launch and softer landing with the 4H

its getting harder and harder for me to convince myself to keep the 4 iron in the bag and not game 2 hybrids. My issue was with my swing and I couldn't hit hybrids but that is no longer an issue.

You can't argue with higher and just as long.

its getting harder and harder for me to convince myself to keep the 4 iron in the bag and not game 2 hybrids. My issue was with my swing and I couldn't hit hybrids but that is no longer an issue.

You can't argue with higher and just as long.

i have been gaming 2 of them for a couple years now. you will love them on the 200-220 yard par 3's. its worth it for just those holes.

Longest iron in my bag is a 7 iron. I'm a three hybrid guy. 3, 4 and 5. I hit them a little longer and a little higher, so I like the softer landing I get with the hybrids. I also use the 3 or 4 hybrid a lot around the green with bump and run pitches using my putter grip. I doubt I'll ever own long irons ever again.

I have decided this year to try pulling the 4 iron from my bag. Realistically I would use it off the tee because of the accuracy. I pulled my old 4h since my Burner 2.0 set was/is 4-AW. Strangely I used to hit 4h all the time, and yanked it out of the bag without really looking at the pros/cons.

For me though:
Pros to 4h: Better launch, better consistency from the fairway
Cons: Maybe lose a bit of accuracy compared to the 4i

I have a 4 irons but also a 4 hybrid that is a little stronger than my 4 iron.

I prefer the hybrid from the fairway and when I need to work the ball. My 4 iron is basically in the bag when I need to hit something around 200 yards or need to keep it a little lower

Thx gents...i didn't see a need for the 4i anymore as i got better with the hybrid.

The shaping comment raises an eyebrow, now that its mentioned i do think i can shape my 4i better than the hybrid but maybe that will require practice.

I think the answer is that you pull the 4i for the 4h when you have more confidence in the 4h.

I bag my 4i when I've got some long par 3s, shorter par 4s, or narrow fairways I need to negotiate. Anywhere I need to hit a shot with some consistency off the tee. I'm not good enough with a 4i to use is successfully from the fairway so I switch to my 3h for those type shots. I find that I use a 5w, 3h and 4i and those work pretty well for me as far as managing my gaps.

I've been back and forth with the 4 iron, like others have said, I like it for that low punch shot but that's about all I use it for. I just bought a set that only goes up to a 5 iron, so I'm going to start this season without one.

Ive gamed hybrids for awhile now and frankly you can keep a 3 and 4 iron. If im in trouble a 5 iron is plenty to punch with. Hynrids just work for me, I can even control shot shape better with them. Doubt ill ever have a 3 or 4 iron again.

Ive gamed hybrids for awhile now and frankly you can keep a 3 and 4 iron. If im in trouble a 5 iron is plenty to punch with. Hynrids just work for me, I can even control shot shape better with them. Doubt ill ever have a 3 or 4 iron again.

Quoting GB here because this is exactly what I thought when I read the title of this thread. I don't carry a 3/4i and have pondered dropping the 5i on more than one occasion. Obviously personal preference comes into play here. For me a smooth swing with a hybrid produces more consistent results.

I don't cause I don't own a 3i or 4i as never really hit them well, so when I bought my G20's last year opted for UW over the 4i and went with the Xhot Pro 20* and Cobra 4/5 hybrids and could not be happier after playing a whole season w/o a 3i or 4i.

I don't carry hybrids because I don't really see a need for them with my distances and playing style. In my bag I have 59, 55, 53, pw, 9-3 iron, 3 wood, driver. I hit the ball a long way and I don't really need the extra distance a 4 hybrid would give me because my 4 iron already goes 220 yards. If I find myself in trouble, I'm normally not on the edge of the rough. I'm 30 yards in the trees and I need to hit a low punch to get out and take my medicine. Honestly it's personal preference.

Pull a 3i or 4i when I really want to curse and swear after hitting them about 50 yards straight to the right. 3h, 4h, if I want similar results, only marginally longer!

Although I tend to agree with Sharkguy in his comment that it's where you end up, I think the only factor of 4H vs 4i is the wind. 4i will go lower and be easier to hold off in cross winds. On a no wind day, that 4h is going to go higher and drop softer. Of course, if you have gaps you want to cover, the 4h might create a 15 to 20 yard hole at the top with its extra length. But if your course doesn't have any par 3's whose yardages fall in those gaps, then go for it.

For me, personally, when to pull a hybrid over a 4 iron- never. When to pull a hybrid over a 3 iron- every time.

Back