I enjoy many of the winter sports like most of you. I enjoy the hocky and I fell in love with curling when I first heard of it when I saw it on the Olympics either 12 or 16 years ago. I was amazed at how much coverage curling got 4 years ago. The only thing I don't particularly care for is the figure skating, but I'll watch it a little here and there as well. Usually just the final medal rounds (maybe). Not trying to move this to the debate thread, but I don't consider things like that as sports but rather competitions due to the subjectivity of the judging. Not saying they aren't athletes as far as physical exertion and training or skill level at all, they are phenomenally talented folks and obviously have to be in great physical shape as well. Just one ignorant man's opinion.

Word has it Sochi has no snow presently.... Could be a problem

Word has it Sochi has no snow presently.... Could be a problem

As cold as the US has been the rest of the world has been warmer than normal for the most part.

Looking forward to the opening games tonight.

How about all the press about the almost third world conditions? Expected?

In ways I feel bad for the Rooskies, because I do think they are going to get a bad wrap from most Western media sources no matter what, but at the same time it's obvious there were issues with this thing going back quite a while. IOC is ultimately responsible and it appears like quite the debacle.

My wife will be consuming herself (and by direct correlation myself) in Winter Olympics sports starting tonight (even with the Opening Ceremonies tomorrow night).

Looking forward to the opening games tonight.

How about all the press about the almost third world conditions? Expected?

This is supposedly the most expensive Winter Olympics ever. Looks like most of the money went into the pockets of the contractors. How could anyone think that Russia could pull this off without it being an epic fail? Rio next? It will be interesting on how much press the problems get as this develops. This might be the black eye it takes for the Russian people to finally move on from Putinism.

As for events, I will be watching hockey of course. US vs Canada for Gold? Downhill skiing after hearing they screwed up in building the run and made it extremely dangerous. And I can't turn off Curling for some reason, it hypnotizes you into watching.

I saw earlier that the forecast doesn't even call for below freezing temps for the next ten days. Can't be good for snow events.

I wonder who has been paid off for all of this to happen.

cant wait for the hockey tournament to begin!

What is it about curling!? You're right - it's mesmerizing. Can never figure anything out about it, but if it is on and we catch it, it's hard to change the channel.

What is it about curling!? You're right - it's mesmerizing. Can never figure anything out about it, but if it is on and we catch it, it's hard to change the channel.

so true... must be the norwegian's pants

It might be the one event that everyone thinks that they could do ok in. I'm excellent at bar shuffleboard and I'm sure this is no different just on ice and with big rocks. LOL

A lot of discussion on Curling. Am I correct that is the event where some guys take broomlike devices and sweep the ice in front of some extremely large puck. OK, I have to be missing something here, what is it? I must admit, I am genuinely amazed by its apparent popularity, given all the other events surrounding it.

A lot of discussion on Curling. Am I correct that is the event where some guys take broomlike devices and sweep the ice in front of some extremely large puck. OK, I have to be missing something here, what is it? I must admit, I am genuinely amazed by its apparent popularity, given all the other events surrounding it.

Yes, brooms and big rocks. Yet mesmerizing.

If you want to see some of the funnier and more amazing things to come out of Sochi...follow @sochiproblems on twitter or the hashtag #sochiproblems. Its really amazing what has happened over there in terms of building and building issues and how some of the stuff is laid out. I seen a picture today posted of a bathroom with the walls and ceiling lined with mirrors. Mirrors!!!

I'm a hockey fan, so I will definitely watch those games.

After two hours of coverage, I'm remembering that I like the IDEA of the Winter Olympics more than actually WATCHING the Winter Olympics. Going to be a long 18 days/nights in the Willingham household.

After two hours of coverage, I'm remembering that I like the IDEA of the Winter Olympics more than actually WATCHING the Winter Olympics. Going to be a long 18 days/nights in the Willingham household.
Got bored of figure skating?

Got bored of figure skating?

And Snowboarding...unfortunately the wife who hates places that are cold, eats up the Olympics, Winter and Summer. She was trying to convince herself earlier that she should get up some nights at 3 AM to watch Curling. I reminded her she had a DVR for that.

I know watching four hours of parading nations, and Russian storytelling during the Opening Ceremony tomorrow night will be equally enthralling.

And Snowboarding...unfortunately the wife who hates places that are cold, eats up the Olympics, Winter and Summer. She was trying to convince herself earlier that she should get up some nights at 3 AM to watch Curling. I reminded her she had a DVR for that.

I know watching four hours of parading nations, and Russian storytelling during the Opening Ceremony tomorrow night will be equally enthralling.
Opening Ceremonies... Glad I have THP to get me through that couch time!

Opening Ceremonies... Glad I have THP to get me through that couch time!

Amen to that...my post count may set a personal record, even for only a 28 day month.

Oh Jeebus. I forgot that I am probably going to have to sit through that dumpster fire.

Bbbbbboooooooooozzzzzzzzeeeee

I love watching curling, I'd love to be able to play sometime.

Back