Any Experience?...Black Tie vs Fujikura Fuel

SmoothC83

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.8
I know this may be a bit of a long shot, but I am pondering the use of either of these two shafts. They have very similar specs as far as weight, torque, launch, and spin classifications go. Just curious if any of you guys have had the opportunity to try both shafts, in the hopes that you may be able to shed a little light on any major differences you saw between the two.

For me, both were very similar in the feel department (i.e. there wasn't much at all, these define the word "boardy" to me) and they were both incredibly stable. I will say that the Black Tie seemed to spin a touch more though for whatever its worth.

Both very boardy the black tie felt a little more tip stiff for me. More kick in the Fuel in my hands. The black tie was more stable for me.

Thanks for the input gents.

I have the Fuel in my i20! I love the feel of it, it did seem to have a little more kick for me as well. My spin rate dropped and distance increased with it, which makes it that much better. I can't compare the two because I've only hit the Fuel. One of the best shafts I've ever put in a driver, IMO.

The black tie is also lower launching. I think a better comparison would be the black tie and the fuel tour spec.

The black tie is also lower launching. I think a better comparison would be the black tie and the fuel tour spec.

Maybe, though both are classified as low/mid launching shafts. This is for the 6M3 Black Tie btw, the 7M3 would be more in line with the tour spec Fuel.

Maybe, though both are classified as low/mid launching shafts. This is for the 6M3 Black Tie btw, the 7M3 would be more in line with the tour spec Fuel.

Is the Tour Spec Fuel a heavier shaft? The 7m3 is just a 70 gram version of the 6m3

Is the Tour Spec Fuel a heavier shaft? The 7m3 is just a 70 gram version of the 6m3

The tour spec is still a 65g but it is a bit stiffer in the tip and butt, also has a lower torque and higher kick point.

The tour spec is still a 65g but it is a bit stiffer in the tip and butt, also has a lower torque and higher kick point.

I guess I'm confused. How does that make it comparable to the 7m3?

I guess I'm confused. How does that make it comparable to the 7m3?

In terms of launch characteristics. The 7M3 is a lower launching shaft by design than the 6M3, just as the tour spec is a lower launching shaft than the regular Fuel.

In terms of launch characteristics. The 7M3 is a lower launching shaft by design than the 6M3, just as the tour spec is a lower launching shaft than the regular Fuel.

The 7m3 is heavier than the 6m3. Of course it is going to launch differently. But that doesn't mean it is a different shaft by design. The only difference between the two is the weight.

The 7m3 is heavier than the 6m3. Of course it is going to launch differently. But that doesn't mean it is a different shaft by design. The only difference between the two is the weight.

When you have two shafts and one is classified and low/mid launch and the other is low launch, that is a pretty clear case of different by design. Based on your statement then I am assuming you can guarantee that the 6M3 and 7M3 have identical kick points?

When you have two shafts and one is classified and low/mid launch and the other is low launch, that is a pretty clear case of different by design. Based on your statement then I am assuming you can guarantee that the 6M3 and 7M3 have identical kick points?

Not what I am saying. I'm not guaranteeing anything.

But I will say that a Fuel Tour Spec is closer to a Black Tie than the standard Fuel is.

Not what I am saying. I'm not guaranteeing anything.

But I will say that a Fuel Tour Spec is closer to a Black Tie than the standard Fuel is.

Well when I am comparing two shafts in terms of launch characteristics I don't see how one with low/mid launch and one with low launch are more comparable than two that are both stated by the MANUFACTURER to be low launch. I'm not making comparisons based on them both weighing 65g's, I'm comparing the stated performance characteristics.

Well when I am comparing two shafts in terms of launch characteristics I don't see how one with low/mid launch and one with low launch are more comparable than two that are both stated by the MANUFACTURER to be low launch. I'm not making comparisons based on them both weighing 65g's, I'm comparing the stated performance characteristics.

So you have no first Hand experience with the black tie series?

Last edited:
So you have no first Han experience with the black tie series?

Haha dude you clearly need a hug, arguing with me about this isn't going to change anything. You obviously categorize shaft characteristics differently than me and that's just the way it is.

Haha dude you clearly need a hug, arguing with me about this isn't going to change anything. You obviously categorize shaft characteristics differently than me and that's just the way it is.

I'm fine. I'm sharing my experiences with two driver shafts that I have actually demoed and tried in various heads

I'm fine. I'm sharing my experiences with two driver shafts that I have actually demoed and tried in various heads

Ok then lets put it this way. The tour spec is not an option and I have no desire to go with a 70g shaft in my driver. Therefore the comparisons that may or may not be made between the 7M3 or tour spec fuel are irrelevant.

Whoa. There is no reason a thread like this should go this route. No offense here Blu, but please go back and read this again and I think you will find that taking it down a notch might be the best medicine.

Ok then lets put it this way. The tour spec is not an option and I have no desire to go with a 70g shaft in my driver. Therefore the comparisons that may or may not be made between the 7M3 or tour spec fuel are irrelevant.

Good plan.

Fwiw. The black tie is a low launch shaft. It's on the heavier side of 60. But trust me, it Is a tip stiff low launch shaft.

When I got fitted, I tried many shafts and the fuel 60 and 6m3 were 2 of them. The 6m3 felt very stiff and just didn't feel good to me. The Fuel felt smooth and just felt balanced. I wanted a lower flight, so I choose the TS 60 Fuel. But the 2 your looking at, the Fuel just felt better. But I'm not you, so you might have the opposite feeling.

When I got fitted, I tried many shafts and the fuel 60 and 6m3 were 2 of them. The 6m3 felt very stiff and just didn't feel good to me. The Fuel felt smooth and just felt balanced. I wanted a lower flight, so I choose the TS 60 Fuel. But the 2 your looking at, the Fuel just felt better. But I'm not you, so you might have the opposite feeling.

Yeah I might, but I still appreciate your thoughts.

Is that the only difference between the 2?

Is that the only difference between the 2?

Between the 7m3 and 6m3? It's weight. That weight will make it hard for a slower swing to load a 7m3.

So it will launch lower (smooth is right) than the 6m3.

Back