Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Iron Review Thread

YEARS after release and the DPC's are STILL one of the best all around set of irons on the market. They just are.

Crazy to think if the new model improves on these somehow? Wow.

I have to agree, these are a couple years old but hold their own up against any new release

They hold their value insanely well for some reason too. Even used ones go for $400+

Wow just caught up on this thread. Kang you had some awesome numbers there. I can't wait to test the DPC's right up against the CB's. Sounds like DPC's are going to be pretty tough to beat.

Wow just caught up on this thread. Kang you had some awesome numbers there. I can't wait to test the DPC's right up against the CB's. Sounds like DPC's are going to be pretty tough to beat.

Im sure you will have no problems gaming either set! For me, DPC are looking real strong

Im sure you will have no problems gaming either set! For me, DPC are looking real strong

I'm just glad I'm going to have the opportunity to swing them side by side to really make my determination. Going to make it really easy, but as far as looks it doesn't seem like that is a huge amount of difference in them looks wise, just more forgiving on the DPC side.

Just pulled the trigger on a set of 5-pw dpc's off of the bay to replace my adams cb3's....I blame this thread if it doesn't work out haha.

Hate to buy something without swinging it but for 300 in great shape shouldnt be a problem to get rid of them if it doesn't work out. I like the dg s300 shaft so it should work for me. Was torn between 714 ap2 and the apex's but for 600 cheaper...Its hard to justify.

Now if only the snow will go away this winters killin me

Just pulled the trigger on a set of 5-pw dpc's off of the bay to replace my adams cb3's....I blame this thread if it doesn't work out haha.

Hate to buy something without swinging it but for 300 in great shape shouldnt be a problem to get rid of them if it doesn't work out. I like the dg s300 shaft so it should work for me. Was torn between 714 ap2 and the apex's but for 600 cheaper...Its hard to justify.

Now if only the snow will go away this winters killin me

Congrats on purchase. Im sure you will love the DPCs

I'm really excited to see what the DPCs can do. Have to admit I was worried they were too "players" for me, but now I'm just excited to hit them! Biggest debate right now is between the PX shaft and one of the KBS options, but a fitting will solve that debate.

I'm looking forward to see where you end up Neb. I've heard a lot of suggestion that the PX leave too much of a harsh feeling (less so with PXi) and I think that's really where KBS tour shines.

YEARS after release and the DPC's are STILL one of the best all around set of irons on the market. They just are.
Crazy to think if the new model improves on these somehow? Wow.

This might be one of the biggest reasons why I am SO excited to see what their next release offers. I truly hope they built on the j40 design and didn't go in a different direction.

I am right there with you guys. I have a fitting scheduled this Wed just hit the J40's. I can honestly say I am extremely excited as this will be my first time hitting a Bridgestone. #stoked

I am right there with you guys. I have a fitting scheduled this Wed just hit the J40's. I can honestly say I am extremely excited as this will be my first time hitting a Bridgestone. #stoked

Where at? I'm struggling to find a place to hit them.

Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Iron Review Thread

I've searched far and wide for locations that carry multiple options for the J40's. Golfsmith had stock versions, but have heard mixed reviews. I went with Windmill Golf Center...various shaft styles, etc. Kent State golf team gets fitted there so kind of a no brainer.

I'll send you a PM

The crazy part about these amazing clubs is just how difficult they are to find in retail stores.

The crazy part about these amazing clubs is just how difficult they are to find in retail stores.

Yeah, surprises me. According to the bfit guy I talked with, there are so many custom options that retail stores don't want to carry them, though a lot of clubs have custom options, so not sure why Bridgestone would be different.

My thoughts exactly!

So, I would be lying if I said I was not Freaking EXCITED right now! :banana:

Where'd you get the DPCs from? Can't wait to hear your thoughts. Also, that headcover is pretty darn good looking.

KC and Ryan,

I simply MUST give super huge thanks to T2GRN18 (Kevin). He contacted me and said that he had some J40 irons I could use to practice with if I could get them shafted. I think my first response to him was something like "Are you serious?" That's about all I could muster. Well, he responded that he was indeed serious and sent them to me.

My original plan was to take the KBS Tour 90's out of my Adams CB3's. These shafts have been very good for my game, so it was an easy decision. We were scheduled to go see the Memphis game with some other couples last night at a local wing joint and about an hour before we left I decided I would go out and pull the wedge shaft and put it in the J40 head. Get the shaft out no problem. Prep it and the the iron hosel. Ready, set, test fit. #EpicFail! Shaft won't fit. A quick check revealed what I already knew, J40's are in fact .355. Jump over to Adams, and I couldn't find the shaft specs. I just knew I had read somewhere that they were .355, so I jumped over to the KBS site and looked. Yup, .355 on the Tour 90's. What the? Then I saw it. They also make the Tour 90 in .370. You know that part in the Road Runner cartoons where Wiley E. Coyote goes over the cliff and right before gravity takes over, he looks at the camera and his head turns into a jack ass? That's how I felt!

So I'm sitting there thinking I have these near mint heads and nothing to put in them. I DONOT want to tell Kevin I need to send them back. Then it hit me. I did a re-shaft thread last year for some Hogan Apex Plus heads. The shafts were .355, so I pulled out the wedge and fired up my butane torch. Couple of minutes later, the shaft was pulled and prepped. Perfect fit! In business now! Got ready to go out and turned the ferrule right before we walked out the door. Did the rest today.

So I obviously couldn't stand it and went to the range even though it was 36 degrees and they were on mats only. Utilizing some of the things Freddie has me working on, I went through a small bucket very deliberately. The DG R300 was not the shaft I wanted to go in these, so I was a little apprehensive. From what I can tell with just the wedge, I didn't lose any distance at all. Launch was abnormally high (mats?), but I could flight it if I needed to. I really expected these to be harsh compared to the KBS, but it wasn't that bad at all, and it was COLD!

All in all, I am ecstatic to get to mess with these irons. They are buttery smooth. While the Adams were forged as well, they were not nearly as soft as this wedge was. I'll be glad to answer any questions that I can for those that are considering the DPC as an option. I will say this though, these were more forgiving than my CB3's!

Kevin, I cannot thank you enough for this amazingly kind gesture. I will repay you somehow and will certainly pay it forward as well!!! Where else on the Internet do you get a PM from a guy offering to send you $$$$$ worth of clubs to practice with, even though you have never met? #Humble.

Here is a wedge pic. I know the ferrule is not OEM type, but all I had on my work bench at the time.

Oh and Ryan,

That head cover is on the DCBrad 4 Hybo.

JM

No worries JohnnyMo. I was planning on doing a project this winter with them. And giving them a go. It can wait a few extra months no problem. I know how difficult it is to find the DPC's to even hit. Glad I can help out in the MC preps for you. Enjoy them dude.

Kevin, when you are ready to do the project, I'm your huckleberry. Just let me know and ill help you through it. If you decide not to do it, send me the shafts and I'll do it. Name your grip and I'll put them on too.....on me. Thanks again.

JM

First off, no surprise that Kevin is once again going above and beyond; he is just an amazing person all around and a true asset to THP.

I figured the head cover was from the hybo, and I can't wait to get a few of those in my bag.

As for the DPCs, I'm really excited to hear they're more forgiving than your current gamers. If you wouldn't mind, I'm curious how these transition into your lowest wedge (and what degree that is?).

What is your typical miss, and so far, how have these responded to them? I know you said more forgiving than CB3s, but are you seeing offline, loss of distance, both?

My awesome captain is sending me a CB 5i and DPC 5i, and I've got a DPC 6i coming from the bay, so I'm hoping to try out 4 hybo, 5 and 6 DPC in Dallas to really get a feel for these clubs. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited.

First off, no surprise that Kevin is once again going above and beyond; he is just an amazing person all around and a true asset to THP.

I figured the head cover was from the hybo, and I can't wait to get a few of those in my bag.

As for the DPCs, I'm really excited to hear they're more forgiving than your current gamers. If you wouldn't mind, I'm curious how these transition into your lowest wedge (and what degree that is?).

What is your typical miss, and so far, how have these responded to them? I know you said more forgiving than CB3s, but are you seeing offline, loss of distance, both?

My awesome captain is sending me a CB 5i and DPC 5i, and I've got a DPC 6i coming from the bay, so I'm hoping to try out 4 hybo, 5 and 6 DPC in Dallas to really get a feel for these clubs. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited.

Ryan,
Keep in mind that since I did the PW last night it was the only club I took to the range today since I did all of the other clubs this morning. As for the lowest wedge, it's the pitching wedge for comparison since the DPC's don't have a gap. All of may adams specs are here http://www.adamsgolf.com/products/legacy/legacy_black_cb3.php# As you can see the PW is 45, but mine is bent to 44. The Bridgestone specs are here http://www.bridgestonegolf.com/product/clubs/j40-dual-pocket-cavity-irons I cannot speak to what the actual s are, but I suspect that they are stock since they are near mint. So you can see that they are stock at 46. I have to say that the 2 degree difference was not that noticeable. Especially with dead range balls in 36 degrees.

My typical miss is a weak fade that is due to a swing flaw that I am working on. Today, I could count on one hand the number of weak fades I hit. This was a very small bucket, maybe 50 balls. I really took my time and worked to produced the swing that I have been working on per Freddie's tips. My misses today were a dramatic pull that was high and going left. Those were the outliers though. Most of the shots were within the confines of the target green either to the left side or middle right. I will take that all day for the first time out with this wedge. I have to say that I need to hit these off of grass to make final judgement though.

Looking at both the DPC' and the Adams, the metal in the DPC is much softer. Thins on the Adams were a little more harsh than with these. All the talk about additional toe forgiveness is true. There is just more out there, and it CAN save a shot for you. Considering I just used what I had that I KNOW is not the optimum shaft for me, and the fact that there is a ton going on with respect to trying to implement a swing improvement with a new club......I'm pretty pleased.

Let me know if I missed anything. I'm happy to help out with anyone's questions to the extent that I am able to answer.

JM

Thanks for the info, JM. What I meant was what's the gaping between your PW and your lowest non-set wedge. One of my big concerns is the transition from set PW to non-set J40 wedge, and was curious if you had (or will have) any issues with that gap. Look forward to hearing more thoughts on these.

Back