Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Iron Review Thread

I gave you a set of them you goof ball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hell i had 3 to 4 sets of them in a 3 year span. Such buttery feeling irons

Hell i had 3 to 4 sets of them in a 3 year span. Such buttery feeling irons

They are still one of my all time favorites

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These irons were so good. Not sure why I ever sold my set and wish I still had them.

These were back in the bag today after a long time. Were Like a comfortable pair of old shoes! They will be in the bag going forward for sure. I ended up putting the Nippon Shafts that came with the 2015 Bridgestone irons in the J40's and there sure is some pop in these things!

JM

The used set I picked up 3 years ago is still going strong, although I'm getting them regripped this week. Still no browning or any bad dings aside from one on the face of the 7 iron, doesn't affect anything though. Absolutely love these clubs, distance and spin are great and the feel is as good as it gets.

These were back in the bag today after a long time. Were Like a comfortable pair of old shoes! They will be in the bag going forward for sure. I ended up putting the Nippon Shafts that came with the 2015 Bridgestone irons in the J40's and there sure is some pop in these things!

JM

what are you liking about the J40 vs the J15?

With one round in the books, I'm thinking its just that little bit of extra toe out there. It could also just be dumb luck :act-up: and I was just over confident because they were something that I "know". I think they will hang around in the bag going forward though and I am really interested in using the J40's in the upper range and maybe J15CB in 7-PW. That would be a fun experiment for me.

JM

Having picked golf back up after a very LONG hiatus. I'm 33 and I played most of m
y golf when my dad was still a member at a golf course and hooked me up. I also used to caddie at valhalla and played there on mondays.

So my first round out I actually hit my super old Powerbilt TPS irons really great (the angular looking kinda ping looking ones) I knew I was lacking something when i hit my buddies taylormade RAC cavity backs from back in the early 2000's a lot better. This prompted me to get new irons- a friend had some Callaway Steelhead XR Pro's for cheap and I hit the 6 off a tee on a 170 yd par 3 and smacked it 15 yard past the pin. I bought em for a great price right after that.
Now I cant hit the steelheads worth a ****. They feel really heavy to me- I'm not used to the reduced offset- the taylormade rac's have a ton and my old tps have less than rac but still a good deal. So i know i'm getting used to that, but I really think its the wide soles I dont like for some reason. Maybe my swing is too steep, but I thought it was supposed to be steep on irons.

I had the chance to hit the j38 cb's for like 4 shots at the range on recommedation. and I loved them immediately- I did hit a couple right do to not closing the face fast enough with the reduced offset.

I guess I'm also struggling with should I get irons with a decent amount of offset or get a small amount and improve my swing.

So i'm looking at picking these babies up- Can any answer as to how much more forgiving the dual pockets are than the CB's? I really wanna get the 40 cb's on looks alone thuogh I like the looks of all of em.

Or how how about the j15's vs the j40, j38, j36?

There are some j40's I see around the used market but a lot of them have dings in the leading edge or the toe near the leading edge. Would that be a huge problem? I guess it wouldnt be too hard to do with the softness of metal in these forged irons.

Sorry for the long first post here- I have a lot of questions and probably need a lesson!

Having picked golf back up after a very LONG hiatus. I'm 33 and I played most of m
y golf when my dad was still a member at a golf course and hooked me up. I also used to caddie at valhalla and played there on mondays.

So my first round out I actually hit my super old Powerbilt TPS irons really great (the angular looking kinda ping looking ones) I knew I was lacking something when i hit my buddies taylormade RAC cavity backs from back in the early 2000's a lot better. This prompted me to get new irons- a friend had some Callaway Steelhead XR Pro's for cheap and I hit the 6 off a tee on a 170 yd par 3 and smacked it 15 yard past the pin. I bought em for a great price right after that.
Now I cant hit the steelheads worth a ****. They feel really heavy to me- I'm not used to the reduced offset- the taylormade rac's have a ton and my old tps have less than rac but still a good deal. So i know i'm getting used to that, but I really think its the wide soles I dont like for some reason. Maybe my swing is too steep, but I thought it was supposed to be steep on irons.

I had the chance to hit the j38 cb's for like 4 shots at the range on recommedation. and I loved them immediately- I did hit a couple right do to not closing the face fast enough with the reduced offset.

I guess I'm also struggling with should I get irons with a decent amount of offset or get a small amount and improve my swing.

So i'm looking at picking these babies up- Can any answer as to how much more forgiving the dual pockets are than the CB's? I really wanna get the 40 cb's on looks alone thuogh I like the looks of all of em.

Or how how about the j15's vs the j40, j38, j36?

There are some j40's I see around the used market but a lot of them have dings in the leading edge or the toe near the leading edge. Would that be a huge problem? I guess it wouldnt be too hard to do with the softness of metal in these forged irons.

Sorry for the long first post here- I have a lot of questions and probably need a lesson!

J40 dpc I didn't see too much more forgiveness than the j40 cb. Definitely not as nice feeling or looking (IMO). The j40 cb is one of my favorites. The feel is amazing and play very well. The leading edge relief is very good though the turf.

The j15 cb is the longest hitting cb I've ever hit. Looks good and very forgiving for a forged cb.

I dont have any experience with any bridgestone iron before j40 so I can't help there, but there are lots of reviews of j36 and j38.

As far as your question regarding offset, it is just personal preference. Some people can deal with it and some can't. Technologically speaking more offset will promote higher ball flight and the ball starting more left due to face pointing more left (righties).

Hope you find something right for you and enjoy the game. Welcome back!

Kang makes good points. Inlove the J40DPC and have the J15CB as well. Current gamers are the DPC’s. It may be coincidence but I am about to pass the lowest handicap I have ever had. Last time it was this low it was the DPC’s also.

JM

How forgiving are the longer irons in these? I find myself focusing far more on the 4-7 irons than 8-AW in that either I'll love the 8-AW, or my gamer 8-A (765) just stay in the bag. I have eyeballed both the DPC and J15CB for a while but to my eye they still look more like precision longer irons than easy to hit launchers. Interested in your thoughts.

Back