What Design Features Drive you Nuts?

A large tree right in the middle of the tee shot landing area. Really can make a great drive unplayable.

There's a course close by like this. Straight forward but that freaking tree is just past my length leaving me either behind it or having a punched second shot to the green. Any height on the second & nothing but limbs. Ruins that hole. I've started leaving it short & aiming way left.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What about a tree at the end of the fairway blocking an approach shot to a green on a par 5? I personally loved the 17th at El Campeon, tree and all.

Lol. That too!

There is a course I play quite a bit that has a huge oak tree about 250 yards out in the middle of the fairway. You either have to be right or left to have a clear approach. Right is tree lined and can get hairy, left is open, but lots of rough.

I've had a few words with that tree.

Severely elevated greens and tee boxes that are angled funny.

Sent using Tapatalk on my Samsung Galaxy S4.

Quite a few have said trees in the fairway. Do you really see them THAT often? I've played one course that has a tree in the fairway, ever. I know 18 at Pebble has one.

I don't like rough that is so high you lose your ball. Par 3's that require a wood, or worse, driver.

Quite a few have said trees in the fairway. Do you really see them THAT often? I've played one course that has a tree in the fairway, ever. I know 18 at Pebble has one.

Two course I play regularly have them. Obviously it's not keeping me from playing them as I continue to go back!

Two course I play regularly have them. Obviously it's not keeping me from playing them as I continue to go back!

The place I played that had a tree in the fairway, I have never been back. But not because of that, though it was strange. We got on several tee boxes, and were like, "Where the eff are you supposed to hit?"

It was a horrible course.

17 at El Campeon. ..The Devils delight

Not really a "feature", but uneven tee boxes wear me out. We actually have one on my home course (#7 par 3). There's not a flat spot on the box. You can either hit with the ball slightly above or slightly below your feet.

Thought of another one that bothers me and I would like to think it isn't intentionally added to courses, but a couple near me have it. Power lines crossing the fairway, nothing worse than hitting a good drive and clipping a wire.

Giant spruce trees in the middle of the fairway drive me nuts.

Thought of another one that bothers me and I would like to think it isn't intentionally added to courses, but a couple near me have it. Power lines crossing the fairway, nothing worse than hitting a good drive and clipping a wire.

Luckily (or not depending on your thinking) i don't hit a golf ball that high.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Erin Hills in WI is also walking only. The distance from the tips, on the card, is 8k+

Holy crap, that is a whole other rant haha. Still gotta love walking only though. I've heard great things about that course.

+1 for tee boxes that are incorrectly angled for the hole.
Cart paths that run right in front of greens or across a lay up zone.

Trees in the fairways have already been mentioned, but I don't like bunkers in the fairway, or bunkers guarding the edges of fairways. Long grass right off the green which penalizes good shots that are just "off" by inches.

Trees that overhang into the path of the tee shot, like 40yds from the front of the tee box. Also 200+yd par 3's over water, only because I'm a short hitter though.

#1 being a par 3
PAr 3 followed by reachable par 5

Take a look at the front 9 at Tanna Farms. It's in Geneva, Il. Maybe you have played it but the start is brutal, 1 is an island green par 3! Log jam every sat or sun I have been there.

www.tannafarms.com

Have to agree on the rough and 310 or less par 4s. My other one is the 600yd plus par 5s. I mean thats just silly.

This is more of a design feature caused by a Green Keeper with a nasty sense of humor. Putting the hole on slopes that make it damn near impossible to 2 putt if you even go only slightly past the hole with your approach shot. I have encountered some putts at my course that even when putting uphill to one of those holes, the ball is back at your feet if you don't drain it. I consider myself an average putter at worst and struggle with these hole locations. Have seen many, many people 4 putt these locations which really slows play.

Have to agree on the rough and 310 or less par 4s. My other one is the 600yd plus par 5s. I mean thats just silly.
Is that 600yd from the whites?

This is more of a design feature caused by a Green Keeper with a nasty sense of humor. Putting the hole on slopes that make it damn near impossible to 2 putt if you even go only slightly past the hole with your approach shot. I have encountered some putts at my course that even when putting uphill to one of those holes, the ball is back at your feet if you don't drain it. I consider myself an average putter at worst and struggle with these hole locations. Have seen many, many people 4 putt these locations which really slows play.

Yeah the stupid slopes that you can't stop a ball on at all are just no fun, I am all for fast greens and some tough reads, but even the safe (close) miss is no longer safe on these.

I can't hit a draw or fade, so for me it's the dogleg that bends too early. Once had to tee off with e 6i to hit the turn and use a hybrid next.

greens that have large mounds or very steep slopes. do not like putting on miniature golf course type greens when paying good money to play

Really high and lush rough. People spend all day trying to find their ball, and then can barely advance it if they do find it.

This one for sure. Just ask Mward how long and how many strokes it took for me to get out of the rough at Trophy Club of Atlanta. Absolutely brutal.

Back