Just a thought from me.

You're assuming that major OEMs haven't experimented with the idea in house.

Just a thought from me.

You're assuming that major OEMs haven't experimented with the idea in house.
no, I am sure that most if not all of them have. But pursuing it is a poor marketing decision for the reasons I posted above. It would cost a ton to get people to buy into the idea, then there would be no profit to repay that investment because any OEM can do it.

no, I am sure that most if not all of them have. But pursuing it is a poor marketing decision for the reasons I posted above. It would cost a ton to get people to buy into the idea, then there would be no profit to repay that investment because any OEM can do it.

The other side of it, the OEMs experimented with it, and I didn't work or provide enough benefit to pursue it further.

At my local shop we have a set of "7 irons" length clubs. I've taken out the 3 iron can hit to about 175 to 180. Actual length 7 iron 165. It's literally every time. I've had multiple buddies try it to with similar results. Clubs are to close in distance. I will say that they were much easier to hit. But no good on distances

The other side of it, the OEMs experimented with it, and I didn't work or provide enough benefit to pursue it further.

I get what you're after, but I'm not just guessing at my answer. That info came straight from the people in the OEMs who did the evaluations and experiments. Pretty much everyone in golf club design that I could find an opinion from agrees that it's technically superior just not marketable. I would really like to read evidence to the contrary, though. I am trying to gather info before I experiment with it myself.

I get what you're after, but I'm not just guessing. at my answer. That info came straight from the people in the OEMs who did the evaluations and experiments. Pretty much everyone in golf club design that I could find an opinion from agrees that it's technically superior just not marketable. I would really like to read evidence to the contrary, though. I am trying to gather info before I experiment with it myself.

My friend Zenger has hit a set. And he gave it a "no bueno" (paraphrased)

At my local shop we have a set of "7 irons" length clubs. I've taken out the 3 iron can hit to about 175 to 180. Actual length 7 iron 165. It's literally every time. I've had multiple buddies try it to with similar results. Clubs are to close in distance. I will say that they were much easier to hit. But no good on distances

My friend Zenger has hit a set. And he gave it a "no bueno" (paraphrased)

i meant evidence that OEMs scrapped the idea for technical reasons. There are plenty of positive user reviews ;)

Just to be the "devil's advocate" here but that might depend on their definition of "benefit"...we all agree you arent going to be "17yds longer" and thats what they market everything on. No one would buy clubs that were marketed as "17% closer" :alien:

1 Iron Company

i meant evidence that OEMs scrapped the idea for technical reasons. There are plenty of positive user reviews ;)

I have no experience with the concept. If JB and Zenger say it isn't great, I trust those two

Just to be the "devil's advocate" here but that might depend on their definition of "benefit"...we all agree you arent going to be "17yds longer" and thats what they market everything on. No one would buy clubs that were marketed as "17% closer" :alien:

Actually, Callaway tried an ad campaign similar. It didn't work. (I don't believe. I will get corrected if I'm wrong)

Actually, Callaway tried an ad campaign similar. It didn't work. (I don't believe. I will get corrected if I'm wrong)

Thats my point "no one" wants to be accurate just long

I have no experience with the concept. If JB and Zenger say it isn't great, I trust those two

Just to be fair I said it didn't work for me. I'm sure it will work fine for someone and understand it fully.

My personal opinion is that there is a lot more to the reason it's not being done than what has been posted in here in regards to marketing, etc.

I was about to edit and say that I actually believe can cant really market accuracy since its swing dependent.

1 Iron Company

I was about to edit and say that I actually believe can cant really market accuracy since its swing dependent.

Callaway tried to. They claimed you would be a few yards closer which may take 4 strokes off your scores.

Also distance is also swing dependent.

Callaway tried to. They claimed you would be a few yards closer which may take 4 strokes off your scores.

SCOR is still doing it, and I doubt they are even top 3 in wedges right now

The way that they are talking about these is they change the loft only. The lie, weight, and off set all stay the same so each club feels exactly the same. You might lose alittle length on the 4 and 5, but I think the consitancy of the clubs would bring alittle more confidiance in the swing though.

I have a set of NOVA constant length irons made by GRIA, they are a sister company to 1 Iron Golf. I was out of the game for 25 years and took golf up again, done all of my research and bought a set of Callaway X Hot's but I was very inconsistant and was getting very frustrated. So I bought a used set of the NOVA constant length irons, just so that every swing I took was the same swing, the 3-5 irons play a fair bit short the 6 and 7 are about right then the 8,9 and PW play a bit longer than normal clubs, as the NOVA's are a 37" Hybrid Iron. This is the link http://www.griagolf.com/home.html . They really sorted out my swing they are very easy to get into the air and very straight, once I was hitting the ball well and consistantly with them I switched back to my Callaway X Hots and have never looked back. My partner then got the golf bug as she could use these clubs and wont part with them, as much as I tell her she should try some conventinal clubs she tells me these clubs are fine.

SCOR is still doing it, and I doubt they are even top 3 in wedges right now

No wedges are marketed with distance. It's all about accuracy and spin. There are plenty of things marketed without distance. Think Mizuno markets heavily on distance outside of their cast line?

And no Scor does not even sniff the top 3.

No wedges are marketed with distance. It's all about accuracy and spin. There are plenty of things marketed without distance. Think Mizuno markets heavily on distance outside of their cast line?

And no Scor does not even sniff the top 3.

I was just saying their big push is "21yds closer" but people dont seem to be jumping all over them even after all the "testing" by Golf Digest etc.

I was just saying their big push is "21yds closer" but people dont seem to be jumping all over them even after all the "testing" by Golf Digest etc.

While that may be the case you are talking about a company with no distribution. Cleveland and Titleist both market their wedges on accuracy and spin and dominate marketshare.

Guys, (specifically baldguy) I have a set of these sitting in my garage right now. Your welcomed to have a go at em.

Guys, (specifically baldguy) I have a set of these sitting in my garage right now. Your welcomed to have a go at em.

yeah I remember you mentioning it the other day on the course and I definitely want to take you up on it. I just wanted to try and gather as much info as possible about the hows and whys. I might also want to order some different shafts to try in them. I think I'd like them all to play at 38.5" with stiff flex, but ordering six or seven 4-iron shafts on the cheap isn't easy. I'm still looking :)

yeah I remember you mentioning it the other day on the course and I definitely want to take you up on it. I just wanted to try and gather as much info as possible about the hows and whys. I might also want to order some different shafts to try in them. I think I'd like them all to play at 38.5" with stiff flex, but ordering six or seven 4-iron shafts on the cheap isn't easy. I'm still looking :)

they are all 37.5 and stiff now which would be +1 over standard from 1iron--the original set I had were 36.5 and fit me fine.

they are all 37.5 and stiff now which would be +1 over standard from 1iron--the original set I had were 36.5 and fit me fine.

that would make them all the length of my 8 iron and I was hoping to be closer to my 6 iron. I guess I can try them as-is and if you don't mind I can swap shafts if they're too short. I just don't want to sacrifice flex for length. that's why I wanted to get stiff flex shafts in the right length to begin with. Basically... I want to tinker with stuff that isn't mine ;)

that would make them all the length of my 8 iron and I was hoping to be closer to my 6 iron. I guess I can try them as-is and if you don't mind I can swap shafts if they're too short. I just don't want to sacrifice flex for length. that's why I wanted to get stiff flex shafts in the right length to begin with. Basically... I want to tinker with stuff that isn't mine ;)

The ideal length will depend on your wrist to floor measurment someone that is 6'4" with long arms might have the same length clubs as someone 5'8" with short arms. I would swing them on a lie board and find out where they are hitting if it is more to the toe of the club I would think about lengthening them more to the heal shorten them, if it is around the middle just leave them. Im not sure but I think for every 1/8" off centre is 1* lie angle or 1/2" of shaft.

Not sure you would like your scoring clubs the length of a 6 iron. This is the problem I have with this concept. The shorter length long iron concept is good but adding 2 inches to wedges does not sound like a good idea.

Back