mayday1775

Reaction score
Handicap
Have any of yall heard of 1 Iron and their use of a single club length for all of their irons? If so, are they even legal for PGA use? When I was reading about them, it seems like a good idea. I know that my 56* and my 8 iron are my best clubs, and having each club at the same length as my 8 would be kinda weird, but techinically I would be using the exact same swing for each club if the shafts were the same length.

I'm just wondering what yall think about these.
http://www.1irongolf.com/

Very interesting concept. Can't say it interest me but I'd love to give them a try. There are some flaws with their philosophy but if it works for someone, great!

This sounds really interesting. I'm also intrigued if anyone has experience with these.

from a quick glance at the link, something just doesn't add up. I'm sure major companies have looked at this, and there must be a reason it's not done by everyone.

There is a club here that is a "1 iron club" and I think its weird but there are some old dudes who swear by them. based on the physics of it, it doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

I have heard of them, and it is an interesting concept. Not sure of it's efficacy.

Yea, I would love to play and test them, but I'm not about to spend $500-$700 dollars on a set of irons to just test and see if they work.

I would imagine that if you made everything the length of your 8 iron you would lose quite a bit of distance on your 4 5 and 6 irons. That's just a guess, but it would seem to make sense.

You want a shorter club with more loft to get the ball up higher. Spin more too. Longer clubs have more flat lie angles than short ones. Longer shaft = more swing speed = more distance. For most people the way everyone else does it is best, but of course there is that small outlier.

I would imagine that if you made everything the length of your 8 iron you would lose quite a bit of distance on your 4 5 and 6 irons. That's just a guess, but it would seem to make sense.

I was going to say the same thing. I would think that a 4 iron, that is the length of an 8 iron would go no where near as far.

It's an interesting concept. I see they use more of a traditional loft concept with these. I wonder what distance comparison would be for a 35 degree 7 iron with a longer shaft vs a 30.5 degree 7 iron with a shorter shaft.

Would love to see an 4 iron with the 1-Iron set vs a 4 iron from, let's say, the new RBZ Irons. Hit by the same person, same conditions, etc. I think that would be telling.

Many years ago the Tommy Armour brand tried to sell this and no one wanted it. Doesn't mean it's not a valid idea, but the public didn't want it. I think they were called 'EQL'.

The way that they are talking about these is they change the loft only. The lie, weight, and off set all stay the same so each club feels exactly the same. You might lose alittle length on the 4 and 5, but I think the consitancy of the clubs would bring alittle more confidiance in the swing though.

An interesting concept to say the least. As others have said, I am not sure how having your PW the same length as your 3 Iron would affect your distances. I would love to see them provide a few sets to THP for testing purposes.

You guys are forgetting because the lengths are all the same as the 8 iron, the lofts don't follow what we would consider the standard progression. Thats where the physics of it gets iffy. Thats fine with say a PW that is say 50* because the shaft is 8 iron length, but with a 5 iron, its going to have to have the loft of a standard 3 iron in order to go as far as it should, and unless you really play with the COG its not going to have the ball flight of a 5 iron.

You guys are forgetting because the lengths are all the same as the 8 iron, the lofts don't follow what we would consider the standard progression. Thats where the physics of it gets iffy. Thats fine with say a PW that is say 50* because the shaft is 8 iron length, but with a 5 iron, its going to have to have the loft of a standard 3 iron in order to go as far as it should, and unless you really play with the COG its not going to have the ball flight of a 5 iron.

there you go, nerding this place up again...but you are right

I've heard of these, but I'm not sold on them. I'm like everyone else thinking this has got to really decrease the length of your long irons as well as add some length to the shorter irons and wedges. I don't know of anyone that has them and I think they have been out for a couple of years now. I just don't see where this is a good idea.

An interesting concept to say the least. As others have said, I am not sure how having your PW the same length as your 3 Iron would affect your distances. I would love to see them provide a few sets to THP for testing purposes.

That would be pretty cool. I read about these clubs years ago. It would be neat to read a true, non-bias review like the reviews that THP puts out on products tested.

I would test the sh*t out of them against the Ping G-20's that I just picked up, but the military does't pay that good, and my wife would kill me if I bought two different sets of irons in two weeks!

There was an episode of "In the Rough" where John Hoeflich talked about this technology and club design and that it was a great idea but didn't work because the public couldn't embrace it. He referred to it as his big mistake but not because the concept didn't work but because it would take too much marketing to make it a success.

A Club Making Legend Answers Reader Questions
[h=1]http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=13612[/h]

Last edited:
My local play it again has a set of these right now. I really do like the idea.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
wasn't there an episode of "In the Rough" where a guy talked about technology and club design that was a great idea but didn't work because the public couldn't embrace it? I swear he talked about this specific thing. I am going to have to go find it and see.
Yes and I also mentioned them in this very thread.

Their website indicates a fairly typical 4 degree progression of loft per iron. Seems like most irons are similar to that progression; indeed, the iron loft for each of their irons is within a degree of all my current iron's typical specs for loft. Thus, because the 3-iron will have a shorter shaft, but the same degree of loft at the head, you definitely can expect it to go less distance with all other things being equal.

Their website indicates a fairly typical 4 degree progression of loft per iron. Seems like most irons are similar to that progression; indeed, the iron loft for each of their irons is within a degree of all my current iron's typical specs for loft. Thus, because the 3-iron will have a shorter shaft, but the same degree of loft at the head, you definitely can expect it to go less distance with all other things being equal.
I just saw that, it makes me question how this could work even more.

Back