Cleveland 588 Custom Driver Review

Just called and picked them up. Thanks for posting this fellas.

Edit, they actually lowered my cost to $300 for both of the clubs (Valentines promo).

WHAT. A. DEAL.

Last edited:
Looking forward to your feedback, NOVA, and wow, what a deal.

Edit, they actually lowered my cost to $300 for both of the clubs (Valentines promo).

WHAT. A. DEAL.

WHOA NOW..u have to be kidding me

WHAT. A. DEAL.

That is bananas. Congrats on the deal bud. Everyone is super jealous. I can't wait to hear your thoughts in this thread.

WHAT. A. DEAL.

I just ordered it too, 300$ shipped is off the charts. cant wait to try them on the course on my trip to florida next week!

I just ordered it too, 300$ shipped is off the charts. cant wait to try them on the course on my trip to florida next week!

Beautiful. Enjoy and let us know how it works out

Thinking about a different shaft for this beast when I get it. I got fitted for a Dymatch 2.0 Mt 60 M3 when I went to club champion, but they put me with a G25 driver there. Wonder if it still would be the correct shaft with this. I plan to get numbers with this and find out but didn't know how well it is to change drivers with the same shaft.

Thinking about a different shaft for this beast when I get it. I got fitted for a Dymatch 2.0 Mt 60 M3 when I went to club champion, but they put me with a G25 driver there. Wonder if it still would be the correct shaft with this. I plan to get numbers with this and find out but didn't know how well it is to change drivers with the same shaft.

It's a good question. I have a similar issue- going from a mid spin head to a lower spin head. I love love love the black tie. I'm probably going to go with that if it is available. But I will get fitted and go with the numbers

It's a good question. I have a similar issue- going from a mid spin head to a lower spin head. I love love love the black tie. I'm probably going to go with that if it is available. But I will get fitted and go with the numbers

Yea, I'll go and see what my numbers are to. Hopefully it won't be with a $300 shaft.

Pretty surprised Budgetgolf is going to honor that little screw up haha, I feel like I just stole something.

I actually liked the numbers I got from this shaft, felt a bit week when I was pushing it, but results were there anyways, and I need to learn how to swing within myself.

12* launch, 2600 spin is good to me, I might just have to thinker a bit with the hosel adjustments

Pretty surprised Budgetgolf is going to honor that little screw up haha, I feel like I just stole something.

Dude it is awesome of them and Cleveland to honor that. Super impressed

Me to, but take what you can get.

I actually liked the numbers I got from this shaft, felt a bit week when I was pushing it, but results were there anyways, and I need to learn how to swing within myself.

12* launch, 2600 spin is good to me, I might just have to thinker a bit with the hosel adjustments

This is the one thing that worries me. I really step on it off the tee, and get my best results when I do. I need a shaft to work with that. Not saying this won't, but that is kind of a deal breaker for me

And I have the opposite situation... Coming from a lower spinning Classic to a slightly higher spin head. Fitting will certainly tell the story.

And I have the opposite situation... Coming from a lower spinning Classic to a slightly higher spin head. Fitting will certainly tell the story.

Agreed. I still think there will be a lot of matrix pairing well with this head- regardless of model

This is the one thing that worries me. I really step on it off the tee, and get my best results when I do. I need a shaft to work with that. Not saying this won't, but that is kind of a deal breaker for me

I get it, my SS was in the 102-104 range and it felt good, but I also felt like I was just at the limit of the shaft. if i step on it, I get into the 110-115 SS range, but lose all kind of control I had at 102 mph. I will not blame only the shaft, but I dont think it helped at these speeds.

I could see my solf going with a real deal red tie, since the lauch was pretty much the same, but I felt it held a bit better

I get it, my SS was in the 102-104 range and it felt good, but I also felt like I was just at the limit of the shaft. if i step on it, I get into the 110-115 SS range, but lose all kind of control I had at 102 mph. I will not blame only the shaft, but I dont think it helped at these speeds.

I could see my solf going with a real deal red tie, since the lauch was pretty much the same, but I felt it held a bit better

It's also slightly heavier which could also help with the issue you felt

Any thoughts on which shaft I should use on this driver?

Recently went to a local Club Champion for a fitting, top 3 drivers for me are on pic below (they didn't have the 588 Custom yet):

ScreenShot2014-02-13at52012PM.png

Also, the shaft he thought I should use (I liked the feel) was the Devotion 6 (04) Stiff (specs below):

ScreenShot2014-02-14at25729PM.png

Unfortunately that Devotion shaft isn't available for this driver - http://www.clevelandgolf.com/US_588-custom-driver__588_custom_drv__viewProd_drivers.html. So I'm trying to figure out what is similar to this shaft, or what some of you would advise.

If the option exists, wait and try the standard shaft which to me paired rather nicely with the club head. Plus it will give you something to go on.
Not sure if you were planning to make it out to the THP Event coming to Ocean City, but we will have a launch monitor out there on the range for people to get numbers from.

If the option exists, wait and try the standard shaft which to me paired rather nicely with the club head. Plus it will give you something to go on.
Not sure if you were planning to make it out to the THP Event coming to Ocean City, but we will have a launch monitor out there on the range for people to get numbers from.

JB, I'd love too...but we have a 4th kid on the way coming in mid-April. And the week after that event we're heading down to OBX for vacation. So I'm going to guess the Mrs. will probably shoot that one down ha-ha.

Hey, what's the deal with Albatross club? I became a member last summer and it's no longer showing up? Doesn't it run a year from when you sign-up?

I'm definitely going to try the standard shaft with the club. Might even head back to Club Champion and hit drivers again to see if this one (588) stands up against the rest. I feel bad for not buying anything from them during my fitting, but a $2500+ invoice was a bit much IMO. Especially when you can find most of the stuff for 1/2 the cost online. Great fitting though, those guys are awesome!

Somewhat off topic for this thread, but do you always take a LM with you to events, or just certain ones? I.e. will there be one in Dallas in 2 weeks?

Back