Walking or Riding - Does it affect your score?

I'm not sure if there is a correlation in my score, but I seem to focus more when I walk. I am a very fast player by nature, so walking seems to slow me down and keep me on a better tempo.

I play a bit better when I walk. It slows me down a bit, as I tend to get quick. I think about what I'm doing a bit more. Funny thing is, I work at a course, doing carts, and never ride. :D

I think I play better when I use my push cart. I think it helps me stay in rhythm better, and the extra time between shots helps me calm down and move on after a bad shot.

No bearing on score for me. Affects my wallet and helps me get some exercise.

I don't think it really matters to me. I can play great walking or riding and I can also stink it up as well. I just try to focus on my game and play as best I can that day.

There is not much difference either way. The main thing it to establish a rhythm and that, of course, will vary according to pace of play. The hardest pace for me is very slow and the easiest way to adapt to that is walking. I don't want to arrive at the ball then have to wait and wait to hit.

I've only been under par for 18 a hand full of times, maybe a dozen, and all but one of those was walking. But that is about the ratio of my riding and walking.

The exception is when my left knee flares up then my score suffers on the back nine and I should be riding then.

As a final note, the absolute most enjoyable mode of play is walking with a caddie as Ken said earlier in this thread. A good caddie will cut strokes off your score as well as add to the enjoyment.

Just like the title states I am curious if you guys think that your performance on the course is affected by whether you walk or ride a power cart. I believe that I play better when I'm walking the course but I really have no data to back that up.

As for me, I am a bit nervous to be riding at #TheKing as I haven't ridden since last summer, and even then it was just 3 times during one week out of town. Am I simply over-thinking it or is this something that I should "practice" prior to an important event?

What say you?

I really don't think it hurts my score one way or the other. My lowest rounds do happen to have been recorded while walking, but I don't think the reason I played well is becasue I walked vs. rode. I've also played a number of rounds I'm very proud of in carts, one in particular being an 89 on Thanksgiving Point Golf Course in Utah, which doesn't sound that impressive, but the course is crazy long, peppered with hazards, and the greens have buried elephants everywhere. Plus that day it was pretty windy, which makes everything tougher. So no, I don't think it affects how I play.

That being said, I will always walk before I will ride, as long as the course layout doesn't preclude it.

There is not much difference either way. The main thing it to establish a rhythm and that, of course, will vary according to pace of play. The hardest pace for me is very slow and the easiest way to adapt to that is walking. I don't want to arrive at the ball then have to wait and wait to hit.

I've only been under par for 18 a hand full of times, maybe a dozen, and all but one of those was walking. But that is about the ratio of my riding and walking.

The exception is when my left knee flares up then my score suffers on the back nine and I should be riding then.

As a final note, the absolute most enjoyable mode of play is walking with a caddie as Ken said earlier in this thread. A good caddie will cut strokes off your score as well as add to the enjoyment.

This is a really good point. Carts drive me crazy on busy days or if I'm solo behind others, because I'm just driving to wait. I can walk slow or fast and that does help me keep a consistent speed around the course.

I used to think that I played better walking. But really I don't believe it has any real effect on my score. I do think it helps me on mornings when my back is tight because I am constantly moving.

I normally walk and when I ride I actually seem to shoot better, it might just be mental or maybe truly keeps my body fresher.

Towards the end of the round when I get fatigued it matters but hopefully that will iron itself out this year now that I am in much better shape.

I don't think my scores changes either way. I enjoy walking as I feel more relaxed. When I ride sometime I get rushed, particularly when I'm playing by myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Usually never walk but score does not suffer when I walk

First... I never walk.

Second, and this may be weird, but I play MUCH better when I ride (read; not drive the cart). I suck at driving golf carts, and when I drive my score suffers. Sounds odd, but it does.

It never occure to me if my scores are better or worse when I do or dont drive. Another stat to track damnet !!!

I don't think I play too much different. I do prefer walking though (with a pushcart usually) as I like the exercise. Unfortunately, pretty much only the regional park courses allow walking around these parts.

I tend to shoot better when I walk.

I prefer walking.... but that is moreso because I am so used to walking. My scores as a walker are always better than if I am on a cart.

If it comes to being in a cart Driver vs. Passenger, I prefer Driver. I can get a bit nauseous with drivers who are very herky-jerky, and I find being the passenger is a bit boring. Driving keeps me a bit more in-tune with what is going on, where I am, where my partner is. I tend to score better when I am the driver.

I tend to play good walking because it gets me to slow down and relax more....

On the flip side, if it is just me and a cart and no one out there then I am at my best because I don't think at all

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

I prefer walking, though it depends on how hilly a course is. I tend to concentrate more on shots while walking to my ball.

I'm a walker. I only take a cart if it's required and I usually avoid those golf courses with a must ride policy. I definitely play much better when I walk. Using a cart messes with my rhythm and processing of the shot at hand. I work at keeping up my fitness level enough so that walking with a bag doesn't get me tired at the end of a round. If I feel tired or run down, I'll rent a pull/push cart so I can still walk.

My knees aren't in great shape anymore (At 26 years old, not a good sign) so I ride almost exclusively. When I was in college I walked all the time. I could tell the last 4 holes, my game would suffer because I carried my bag and I got worn down. Now that I ride all the time, I want to find a way to get a little bit of both. I play with my wife about half the time and she definitely doesn't want to walk the course. She got me a range finder for Christmas so I'm going to figure out a way to get my yardage, take her to her ball and grab my club and walk to mine and have her pick me up. If that doesn't hurt our pace of play, I could see that being a nice mix for me

Play better when I walk. I can think and prep while walking to the next shot. If I am riding with someone else it can get distracting and I am unfocused between shooting the breeze and going to other shots.

I'm noticing most of the walkers are from more northern-ish places. I like to walk, generally prefer it...but when it gets over 92* with humidity...walking is not as good an option. That's pretty much 7 or 8 out of 10 days here in summer. Worse in other places. On a weather nutreral day, my scores don't seem to change too much either way though.

I feel that think I think more strategically and use smarter course management when walking.

I score worse when in a power cart, as when I rid in one, I'm drinking. Usually drink powerade when I'm walking, and think more about the shot as I make my way to the ball.

Back