How does you significant other feel about golf...and the time you spend on it?

My wife tolerates my golf habit, but I am sure that if she had a choice, I would play a LOT less.

Awesome idea. Think I am going to pitch this idea to the wife tonight.

It has worked well for us, hopefully for you as well. Remember, its a two way street, so post any tournament plans or playing special golf courses. But the bottom line is just a matter of courtesy and reasonableness, it is your life's partner after all.

My wife isn't a fan of the time spent golfing at all unfortunately. She tolerates it because she knows I love it and she encourages me to get better and have fun each time. My work schedule is not conducive to lots of golf so I'm kind of stuck with the times that I go.
Its actually remarkable that she is as supportive as she is and I'm thankful for that.

She puts up with it and supports it because I like it... I know she would prefer if I spent time doing things with her. She is actually really cool though because I watch way more golf than I should and she'll watch it to... so she's become a huge Mickelson fan and when he won the Open Championship last year (I was golfing) she was shooting me texts about it and was really excited.

My wife can run hot and cold on golf. She does play and we get out a few times a year but I know she does resent
the time it takes to play a round, especially on the weekend. This year I will be playing more weekday rounds and
pre-planned THP get-togethers. The short notice weekend rounds are a thing of the past.

How does you significant other feel about golf...and the time you spend on it?

She don't get it, she thinks it's not necessary to play several times a week. But, she knows how important golf is for me.

Last edited:
Okay I need to throw it out there................. I AM SPOILED

My wife is a stay at home (used to be mom, kids out of house) She is learning to golf because it's what I do. We joined a country club last year and she know it's either play or be a golf widow. If she doesn't want to play or only plays nine she will happily ride around in the cart and handle the sand for divots, rake the bunker...... Caddy for me. On Saturday and Sundays she can't golf until after noon (primary members only) She assumes I'm going both days, I don't always as I try to be a little less selfish. She doesn't care if I practice after work or go play nine. Never complains about what I buy and is constantly buying me new golf shirts or pants.

See I'm SPOILED............ Yes she has a sister............. You wouldn't want that one, sorry

Needless to say I love my wife very much as she is the same with all my activities.

Oh and we are still in our 40's so lots of spoiling years to go:bananadance:

My wife and I actually had a discussion about this last night, so I'm glad this thread got bumped. My wife doesn't play golf, and sometimes I think she resents that I have a hobby that I'm passionate about while she really doesn't. With going to my first two THP events this year (Dallas and the MC) which also happen to be my first two trips without her, it's bringing up some interesting discussions. I think she's slowly starting to get it, but is still a ways off.

My wife is awesome when it comes to me playing, I can play or practice as much as I want without any bitching and she has the freedom to do anything she wants to do without any. A person without a passion is a passionless person, that's no good for anyone.

My wife could care less about golf but she understands how much I love it. And as golf is my only vice in life (I dont drink or go out) she allows my indulgence :)

My wife bought me a whole new set up clubs to help me get back into the game, so I can't complain one bit. She's said, on more than a few Sundays, "hey why don't you call the guys and see if they want to get a round in, there's nothing going on today" which is wonderful to hear.

She knows that I always need to have something that I'm working on. When I was playing out in bands, it was learning songs or writing. I still do some production work, so she knows I might disappear for a few nights in a row while I'm mixing a song. Like a lot of others who've posted, my wife knows where I am and what I'm doing, and I think would rather give me the opportunity to go blow off some steam due to work or grad school, than to have me sitting around. She does think I spend too much time on golf websites, though :act-up:

In the beginning it was something that she hated about me. Over the past few years its become a non issue. I enjoy playing and practicing and like most of you it is a release for me. To her money seemed to be a big issue with her for some reason. Financially we were doing more than okay and still are, to where I can hit a bucket of balls a couple times a week, and play a round or two depending on the price, and in no way shape or form do I break our bank account. I have constantly told her that if I ever had even a sense that I was hurting us financially, I would stop for our sake. Now if I tell her that I was headed to the range for an hour or two to practice, its a non issue 95% of the time. If she is in one of her moods, she might make a comment but i brush it off. There are worst things I could be doing, and she is grateful that I find joy in hitting little white balls.

My wife and I were pretty new when I took up golf and there was definitely still a major cling factor. I decided the only way I was ever going to get to play and not have to hear about it was if she took up the game too. I bought us a couples lesson package and we figured out 2 things really quickly; 1) she hated golf and became irate over every missed swing. 2) everything she did before and after those swings irritated the living hell out of me. So needless to say our couples golf career never really took off. As time went on she got over the clingyness and has left me to do my thing guilt free. This might change if she ever found out what clubs actually cost and how often I turn them over.....

Having our first kid last June has definitely eaten into the golf practice/play time more than the wife ever has.

My wife is relatively supportive. She understands that working in the golf industry means it is going to be a part of our lives, like it or not. She has zero desire to play, she rode nine holes last summer when we were at Disney, even hit a couple of shots, but that's all I'm going to get. She doesn't mind replacing if she is working and my mom watches our son, but if we are both off, it's family time.

My wife is awesome when it comes to me playing, I can play or practice as much as I want without any bitching and she has the freedom to do anything she wants to do without any. A person without a passion is a passionless person, that's no good for anyone.

This is my wife. We've been married for 18 years and I do what I want and she does what she wants for the most part. The only thing I ever get any flack about it the money spent on golf. If I wasn't addicted to new shiny stuff, she wouldn't have a problem with it at all.

My first wife thought golf was stupid and for stuck up people. I think she lives in GA now or something. Not really sure. I married a real catch 24 years ago though. She likes to go ride in the cart and take pictures or read a book, but doesn't want to play. Se encourages me to have fun and get better too.

I don't really deserve her, but as long as she will keep me, I feel like life is an Albatross!

JM

My doesn't hate it, but doesn't really understand it either. She thinks I change clubs too often which is probably true, but when I buy clubs I'm usually selling clubs to cover most of the cost so it's not something that causes problems.

My wife plays. Really trying to learn and enjoy time with me outside. She is still a very high capper but she's getting better. Recently got her to start the downswing from the bottom (thanks Freddie). Even got her to watch the waste management open with me. I'm sure when kids start to show up this will change quite a bit. But for now, I get two golf hats for V day! Woohoo!

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

My wife doesn't really mind. We work out a schedule of when and how often I go golfing. So, as an example, I didn't go at all last week, so I'm getting two rounds in this weekend on account of the long weekend. Doesn't always work out this way, but we're working to create a "training plan" for #THPMC that will make it less, "Ooh, mind the kids, I'm going to go get a round in!" And more, "It's 8, and we agreed, this is when the golfing happens." This appeals to her controlling tendencies will still allowing me to get out of the house and play golf. Everyone wins.

My wife plays and is much better than she gives herself credit for but I have a tough time convincing her to come with me because then someone has to watch our daughter. I have a rotating day off during the week which is my day to do what I want and then I try and play in the early afternoon on Sundays when our daughter is napping so we can do the family thing in the morning or after the round.

The short golf season we have also makes a difference, she knows I will be playing as much as I can in the summer and while she doesn't love it she understands.

Like several others have said.
I don't get any flack about playing or going to the range. In return I don't abuse her understanding by playing all weekend every weekend. There may be two o three weekends go by that I dont play at all. And some times I'll play 3 or 4 straight.

As for purchases. Usually she knows I'm trading or selling a current club to help pay for a new one, so it's no big deal.

Although she often does question why I need another shirt or hat.

Funny she never questions shoe purchases. I guess that's an area she understands.

:act-up:Not understanding to say the least...but working on it. I got to the point where I will lie and say I'm going shopping, and sneak in a few holes or hit the range before or after I get groceries..

I feel little white lies aren't too bad

Mine has zero issues with me playing golf when I want and actively encourages me to get out of the house and play. She wants me to get better and actually listens, and offers advice on my game. I really struck gold when I found her.

Back