Why no indepeendant testing of drivers?

The thing I took most from those reviews is... the drivers coming out now vs in years past are all so close that one out of that top 20 probably will suit me best and it doesn't matter if I like #1 #2 or #15, I am not going to be at a disadvantage.

I tend to agree with you there.

Ok, the point is though, the vid you would be posting is one mans opinion just like any other review. Are you saying because Crossfield puts his face on camera that his review is more legitimate in some way?

The guy has a pretty repeatable swing, no? He pretty much tests everything that comes out (with regard to drivers), no? I like the fact that he cuts through the marketing BS and says the cor is mxed out and that a longer shaft will help create some more clubhead speed. I like the fact that he shows his numbers and that they pretty much don't change from club to club.

Now if you want to make disparaging comments without anything to back it up, that's up to you. Makes you look foolish, imo.

There is zero reasons for calling people names etc, lets please try to keep it civil.

So in other words "let's keep it civilzed unless we are bashing Mark Crossfield..."

The guy has a pretty repeatable swing, no? He pretty much tests everything that comes out (with regard to drivers), no? I like the fact that he cuts through the marketing BS and says the cor is mxed out and that a longer shaft will help create some more clubhead speed. I like the fact that he shows his numbers and that they pretty much don't change from club to club.

Now if you want to make disparaging comments without anything to back it up, that's up to you. Makes you look foolish, imo.

You clearly have a biased opinion for the man. I have watched many of his videos, and just as a matter of fact, you know nothing of my opinion about them. That said, saying his numbers do not vary between any clubs would only prove that he uses only numbers based on his best swings with every club, and we all know that just about every OEM can produce very similar numbers based on good strikes. Also when I have personally taken clubs onto the range and seen a certain claim that you describe as "marketing BS" directly impact the performance of a club, and then watch Crossfield discount it before he even tees up a ball is quite telling.

So in other words "let's keep it civilzed unless we are bashing Mark Crossfield..."

Last I checked he is not a member here, there is no reason for members to belittle other members by calling names. People can discuss and debate all they want but please do so with tact.

I don't think that has anything to do with it. I think the point is that his reviews tend to be more numbers based opposed to an all around review, such as how it also performs on the course for him etc. There's nothing wrong with his reviews at all, it's just one more way a consumer can get feedback on a club.

You clearly have a biased opinion for the man. I have watched many of his videos, and just as a matter of fact, you know nothing of my opinion about them. That said, saying his numbers do not vary between any clubs would only prove that he uses only numbers based on his best swings with every club, and we all know that just about every OEM can produce very similar numbers based on good strikes. Also when I have personally taken clubs onto the range and seen a certain claim that you describe as "marketing BS" directly impact the performance of a club, and then watch Crossfield discount it before he even tees up a ball is quite telling.

Here's the difference, I'm more than happy to say I like his stuff. I know nothing about your opinion of them? Given everything you have written it's not difficult to draw the conclusion you are not a fan.

Hmmm, quite telling that you haven't provided any evidence of this. I won't hold my breath waiting for any. To quote a dreadful US saying, haters gonna hate....

I don't think that has anything to do with it. I think the point is that his reviews tend to be more numbers based opposed to an all around review, such as how it also performs on the course for him etc. There's nothing wrong with his reviews at all, it's just one more way a consumer can get feedback on a club.

That would be fine if that's what it was. It's clearly not. My point is if you think his reviews are crap (which is fine btw), give me a reason why. I don't think that is too much to ask...

I enjoyed MGS's work all week on that series. Not everyone enjoyed it based in their feedback, but kudos to them for putting all of that data out there.

Also, while it might not be feasible to put up tons of information on each tester, some general information could be helpful. Things like driver swing speed, tempo, normal shot shape. I really like Jman's reviews, but from playing golf with him, I know that my swing is pretty different from him and what works for him probably won't work as well for me. But most readers of the site don't have that knowledge available to them.

I enjoyed MGS's work all week on that series. Not everyone enjoyed it based in their feedback, but kudos to them for putting all of that data out there.

Also, while it might not be feasible to put up tons of information on each tester, some general information could be helpful. Things like driver swing speed, tempo, normal shot shape. I really like Jman's reviews, but from playing golf with him, I know that my swing is pretty different from him and what works for him probably won't work as well for me. But most readers of the site don't have that knowledge available to them.

I don't review clubs based on what works for me FWIW. I review clubs based on the club and if they do what they claim and are intended to do, big difference.

There have been plenty that are NOT good for me but I know they are doing what they are intended and claimed to do and that is what the reviews are built off of.

Just want to put that out there again. IMO reviews are not about good club bad club, they're all good clubs and they all hit a certain portion of the spectrum. Every club will be the best fit for someone out there.

I'm glad we live in a day and age where we have so much info so quickly at our fingertips. I'm happy we have sites like THP, and people like Mark Crossfield and Mathew Conners on youtube. I'm glad we have Trackman, GC2, and Flightscope to give us numbers to base our purchases on. And I'm glad we have so many golf lovers around the internet willing to share their thoughts and knowledge.

It's a great time to be a golf equipment buyer! What I take away from these 6 pages is everyone has an opinion so take it all in and go hit the club for yourself.

Good post. Particularly about how jman swings and how it is different to yours.

Here's the difference, I'm more than happy to say I like his stuff. I know nothing about your opinion of them? Given everything you have written it's not difficult to draw the conclusion you are not a fan.

Hmmm, quite telling that you haven't provided any evidence of this. I won't hold my breath waiting for any. To quote a dreadful US saying, haters gonna hate....

What is fascinating about your argument is that you claim to be in love with his reviews because he has a repeatable swing. I literally just watched a review today where he claimed he was hitting the ball terribly, yet only posted the numbers from the swings the produced the numbers he knew he was capable of. Now with your 9 handicap and my almost 8, we clearly have some inconsistencies. So how a club performs when he is not striking the ball to the best of his ability would seem to be more beneficial than what the club does only when he hits the ball to the best of his abilities. So that right there is all the evidence I need to backup my claims.

I don't review clubs based on what works for me FWIW. I review clubs based on the club and if they do what they claim and are intended to do, big difference.

There have been plenty that are NOT good for me but I know they are doing what they are intended and claimed to do and that is what the reviews are built off of.

Just want to put that out there again. IMO reviews are not about good club bad club, they're all good clubs and they all hit a certain portion of the spectrum. Every club will be the best fit for someone out there.

All reviewers do a great job expressing this. It's not just hard data about your swing. It's about GOLFERS.

What is fascinating about your argument is that you claim to be in love with his reviews because he has a repeatable swing. I literally just watched a review today where he claimed he was hitting the ball terribly, yet only posted the numbers from the swings the produced the numbers he knew he was capable of. Now with your 9 handicap and my almost 8, we clearly have some inconsistencies. So how a club performs when he is not striking the ball to the best of his ability would seem to be more beneficial than what the club does only when he hits the ball to the best of his abilities. So that right there is all the evidence I need to backup my claims.

I should do some videos like that. They would be short videos.

Good post. Particularly about how jman swings and how it is different to yours.

Right? Which is precisely the same mindset that should be taken into account with Mark Crossfields reviews, no?

I should do some videos like that. They would be short videos.

Haha, you and me both my friend. Maybe we could make a compilation video of the swings that demonstrate our utmost capabilities. I bet we might get a good solid 30 seconds worth of goodness.

Like and love are hardly the same thing.

One video, which you didn't even link, such a lot material to go on. Fantastic evidence!

I play at a course that has penal rough, at least a two club breeze most days, and has held double figure national open chamionships. My 9 holds up well any course I go to. Not only that, you have no idea how my game is.

Like and love are hardly the same thing.

One video, which you didn't even link, such a lot material to go on. Fantastic evidence!

I play at a course that has penal rough, at least a two club breeze most days, and has held double figure national open chamionships. My 9 holds up well any course I go to. Not only that, you have no idea how my game is.

Maybe not, what I do have a clear understanding of from the little information I have about you, with all due respect I might add, you carry the title of "fanboy" in quite a stellar manner.:bye:

Haha, you and me both my friend. Maybe we could make a compilation video of the swings that demonstrate our utmost capabilities. I bet we might get a good solid 30 seconds worth of goodness.
You are giving me way too much credit. Unless we are talking over a full year.

Maybe not, what I do have a clear understanding of from the little information I have about you, with all due respect I might add, you carry the title of "fanboy" in quite a stellar manner.:bye:

Evidence, any at all? I thought not, just a silly little comment. Is there where i am supposed to apologise for not being a psycophant like yourself?

OK, let's stop the name calling now. This means everyone.

This thread is on thin ice.

I'm not that smart, I had to look it up.

Psychophant — sai’-ko-fant
A person suffering from a mental disorder in which contact with reality is lost or highly distorted, and which is characterized by unembarrassed fawning over the current administration and its lackeys.

Let's get this thing back on topic. This thread is already a train wreck. Maybe we can still save it.

Back