Adams Introduces CB3 Irons

Hit a bucket of balls with a 6-iron...this is stonking great iron.

I love the headshape that these irons have, and would consider them if Adams didn't have such a bad reputation for custom orders. I'd go KBS Tour instead of KBS 90, just because I'm comfortable with the KBS Tour and hit the ball high enough with those irons. But I'd have serious concerns about the time frame that Adams could fill a custom order with KBS Tour shafts in them. Same thing goes for the CMB irons.

I love the headshape that these irons have, and would consider them if Adams didn't have such a bad reputation for custom orders. I'd go KBS Tour instead of KBS 90, just because I'm comfortable with the KBS Tour and hit the ball high enough with those irons. But I'd have serious concerns about the time frame that Adams could fill a custom order with KBS Tour shafts in them. Same thing goes for the CMB irons.

I placed my custom order and got them on the 12th business day after I ordered them. This was back in March though so I can't speak for how quick or slow it is since the TM buyout or if it has changed at all.

Wanted to chime in here regarding these irons. Background: Returned to golf about a year ago after 10 year layoff. Back issues and resulting surgery have robbed me of a lot of distance. Prior to my sabatical, was playing Hogan Edge, TT S300 tipped and 6 iron was about 155 - 165 depending. Not a huge hitter, but respectable. Today I hit 5 iron 150, but not much further......period. When I started back last year, I decided on some AP1's (used set) and soon after changed out the S shafts to R. Was completely happy with the Titleist, no problems whatsoever. Then it happened - Was in the shop picking up some balls. My daughter was looking at putters, so I went over to the hitting net. She just started playing and is in a junior set from Adams. The first thing I picked up was a CB2 6 iron. Guy comes over and lets me know that those are no longer available, but the CB3's are on sale. I told him that I wasn't really looking, but just burning time until my daughter was finished. A couple of shots later, he hands me a CB3 6 iron and lets me know that they are on sale. It felt better than the CB2.

After we left, I was thinking about how good those shots were feeling. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but something was different. After some time I realized how much I missed the feeling of a forged club. The Titleist never really felt like my Hogans and the CB3's had a very familiar feeling, so I chaulked it up to forged. I have lurked here since picking the game back up and decided to see what others were saying about these clubs, so I looked them up and started reading. Learned a lot about the set and the shafts. I went back to the shop with my 6 iron and got on the monitor with my club and the Adams. For the most part, the distances were about the same, but if I caught the CB3 a little extra pure I might get like 5 more yards. Nothing special and nothing I could count on at my skill level. I still couldn't believe how much better they felt though and I was just starting to see what everyone was talking about with the KBS shafts. I left the store knowing that they had just come down from $799 to $599 and was seriously thinking about how long it would take me to sell my AP1's and get some of these. While checking on the AP1 going rate on Ebay, I looked at the CB3's. Found a set for auction and the opening bid was $489 with free shippng. I said what the heck and threw up a bid. Never thought another thing about it until the following Monday when I received an email informing me that I had won. Nobody else even bid on them!

When they arrived, I cut them down to my length specs (I'm vertically challenged) and changed out the grips. Took them to the range Saturday night and really liked them, but played with them yesterday and that was where the proof really came out. As I said earlier, I gained basically no distance with these. My trajectory has changed though. Shots come off a LOT higher, but not a balloon. As others have said, they just keep going and fall at the desired distance. This gave me a lot softer landing shot and more held greens. I attribute this to the KBS shafts and am definately a believer in these gems! The sole of these clubs (I had read a lot about turf interaction) simply gets through the grass. The LE is slightly sharper than my old clubs and I like that. Some have mentioned the 4 and 5 iron getting caught (bottom flange) on the take-away, but I didn't experience it that much. One of the most amazing things about my day yesterday was that I was spinning the ball. I do not normally spinn the ball on any shots. I recently stopped using my wedge around the green and opted for the roll out of the 7 iron. With these irons, I could spin the ball more with a 7 iron than I could with my old wedge. Not sure what the reason for this is, but I really don't care. Also backed up a 6 iron on a par 3 and several approaches. As I type, I can't help but think that the shafts (KBS Tour 90 R Flex) MUST have a lot to do with this. I could feel the loading in my swing and was able to keep an even tempo which I'm sure lead to more controlled shots for me.

These irons are definately worth a look for those of you who are wanting to check out the feel of forged irons. I missed a fair amount between the range and while playing and none of them were as harsh as the old Hogans were and the line and distance were not terribly affected. As someone else had mentioned, these will likely become less expensive as we get closer to the new game improvement sets from Adams later this year. I just looked right before I posted this and there was an auction for them at $402. Obviously there is no telling where that thing will finish, but I'm proof that it can end well. I honestly feel that these clubs can help me get from my current 11 down in the single digits. Very glad I got these. If anyone has a specific question about them, let me know. Got a little scatter-brained with this write-up............Supposed to be working!

J.

Being a lefty in rural Canada I couldn't find a set of these to try until last week . I love the feel and look of these , easily a full iron longer than my TM Burner plus irons while not quite as forgiving they are still easy to play. So I have been in the hunt for a set and just landed a minty used set for 400.00 Should been here next week. I hope to get a few rounds on them before the courses close down later this month.
gb

Im curious to hear how these worked for Milehighgolfer on Sunday for his round...

I hit these again this past Saturday at golf galaxy while I was there with hanks. Loved them again just like at the outing demo day.

I hit these again this past Saturday at golf galaxy while I was there with hanks. Loved them again just like at the outing demo day.
I like them to, Kmac. Actually, I liked them a lot.

Im curious to hear how these worked for Milehighgolfer on Sunday for his round...

I'll let him speak for them himself, but he had some fantastic approach shots on Sunday.

Seemed to not have too much trouble dealing with quite a few shots from that crazy bermuda rough either.

I like them to, Kmac. Actually, I liked them a lot.

I'm not sure if they're strong or traditionally lofted but the 6 iron was flying as far as my i20 does. They had a stiff+ set used that were in great shape. If I had WRX swing speed I'd bought them on the spot.

I'm not sure if they're strong or traditionally lofted but the 6 iron was flying as far as my i20 does. They had a stiff+ set used that were in great shape. If I had WRX swing speed I'd bought them on the spot.

Similar lofts I do believe. What shafts were in them? Stock?

Similar lofts I do believe. What shafts were in them? Stock?

Yeah both sets had the c taper in them. The ones I hit were stiff and the used set were stiff+

Yeah both sets had the c taper in them. The ones I hit were stiff and the used set were stiff+

Decent price would be hard to pass on these.

Picked a set of the CB3s up after selling my I20s here in the market place. So far, love these irons. Got a great deal on a set on ebay, $275 for a 5-GW set in my specs and they didnt even look like they were hit before. So far after a week of use, no regrets. Distances are great, feel is great. I like that they come with the lighter weight shaft. Before the I20s I had TM R9s with their KBS 90 shaft and these seem very similar to those. The I20s had KBS Tour shafts and I just couldnt get used to them.

Anybody still game these and have some feedback? Looking for something a little more forgiving in 5 and 6 iron to complement my Adams CMB irons, as on off days they can disagree with me a bit. Have my eyes on individual 5 and 6 irons on the bay for about $140, but considering I see full sets 4-GW for only about $100 more, it may be a better move to just grab a set and game whatever works.

Also, if anybody has a set they don't want anymore with stiff shafts, let this guy know :)

Anybody still game these and have some feedback? Looking for something a little more forgiving in 5 and 6 iron to complement my Adams CMB irons, as on off days they can disagree with me a bit. Have my eyes on individual 5 and 6 irons on the bay for about $140, but considering I see full sets 4-GW for only about $100 more, it may be a better move to just grab a set and game whatever works.

Also, if anybody has a set they don't want anymore with stiff shafts, let this guy know :)

These are my current gamers. Play 5-GW, but honestly play the 5i on punch shots to get out of trouble.

These are definitely forgiving & I enjoy them a lot. Great iron to transition from GI to players irons.

These are my current gamers. Play 5-GW, but honestly play the 5i on punch shots to get out of trouble.

These are definitely forgiving & I enjoy them a lot. Great iron to transition from GI to players irons.

Thanks man. How do you find those KBS 90's? My biggest worry with trying to meld these with my CMB's is that I have 120g KBS Tour shafts in them and I'm worried it will be a really abrupt transition in launch angle.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I simply LOVE mine. They changed how I play golf. How tall are you? There is about 1/4 inch off of mine, but I would gladly sent you 4-PW to mess around with. You could even put a 1/4 extender in the bitt end to get them back to standard length. If you are interested, let me know. They have the stock KBS Tour 90 in them.

JM

Thanks man. How do you find those KBS 90's? My biggest worry with trying to meld these with my CMB's is that I have 120g KBS Tour shafts in them and I'm worried it will be a really abrupt transition in launch angle.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Launch angle for me hasn't been an issue. These are meant to be a high launch shaft, but honestly i don't think they "balloon" up with trajectory. Is it a high ball flight? Yes, but not where I am put off by it and with a 3/4 swing back in my stance a bit I can bring the flight down.

I think mine are 115g according to the site, but never got it checked out for certain. Once I gamed these I loved everything about it that I just rolled with it.

It's no problem. They are just sitting there. You could mess with them for the season and get a good feel for them. Worst case scenario the price goes down for new sets by the end of the season.

JM

I played a full round with a set of these at a THP event a couple years back. I really, really liked them and almost grabbed a set. And by grabbed a set, I mean someone won a set at the dinner that weekend and I almost knocked him over the head and stole them.

Fast forward a year--my buddy, who dabbled in all sorts of forged sets (mostly Cally, and like a set every 4 months) bought a set of stock CB3s and is still gaming them today. He hits big, straight shots with them and I bet he took strokes off his hdcp moving away from stuff like x-forged to these.

I simply LOVE mine. They changed how I play golf. How tall are you? There is about 1/4 inch off of mine, but I would gladly sent you 4-PW to mess around with. You could even put a 1/4 extender in the bitt end to get them back to standard length. If you are interested, let me know. They have the stock KBS Tour 90 in them.

JM

Dude...you are awesome! I might very well be interested as long as they're stiff shafts. I actually checked the lengths on Adams' site, and they are a 1/2" longer than the CMB's to begin with, so a 1/4" shorter would probably be perfect (I am 5'9"). Why'd you stop playing them?

:bulgy-eyes:They are thr tour 90 r.:bulgy-eyes: I didn't stop gaming them for any other reason than another THP'r was awesome enough to let me try some Bridgestone J40 irons in prep for the Morgan Cup. Tese will sit for now as I get some testing and such with the J40's. I just want to pay forward the generosity I have experienced here.

If you think you want to give them a whirl, you know where to find me.:act-up: I'll ship them out ASAP. You can even mess around with re-shafting etc if you like. This is a great set of irons to be sure.

Lemme know Bro!

JM

:bulgy-eyes:They are thr tour 90 r.:bulgy-eyes: I didn't stop gaming them for any other reason than another THP'r was awesome enough to let me try some Bridgestone J40 irons in prep for the Morgan Cup. Tese will sit for now as I get some testing and such with the J40's. I just want to pay forward the generosity I have experienced here.

If you think you want to give them a whirl, you know where to find me.:act-up: I'll ship them out ASAP. You can even mess around with re-shafting etc if you like. This is a great set of irons to be sure.

Lemme know Bro!

JM

This is why THP rocks, right here. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the gesture man, but Tour 90 R is just gonna be too soft for me, and I would feel bad reshafting them on you, plus if I'm paying to reshaft I'll probably end up paying enough anyways that I may as well just pick up a set on the cheap off the Bay. If I change my mind though, I will definitely hit you up. You are the man!

Back