Wedge Bounce - Is there a right answer?

I can carry 4 wedges dependent on the course conditions, all have varying amounts of bounce but the S/W and Gap (52) are always in the bag, the 60* with 5* degrees of bounce only comes into the bag if its hard and I can be on bare lies, you can't open up a wedge with a higher bounce for those shots, you'll blade the ball because you'll have increased the bounce!

I generally take a fairly shallow divot or none at all. I play 1/2 my rounds at home in soft conditions and 1/2 on the road in firm conditions. It is a real mix.

Others answered overnight but I'll agree that you should be fine with mid to low bounce wedges based on this quote ^

I disagree, it improves backspin. More friction on the surface of a club will impart more backspin. Try one of those diamond faced wedges that are like 80 grit sandpaper and see. Those suckers zip. They also tear covers off of balls.

The reason most manufacturers put it on the etching these days is to compensate for the loss of backspin that the new groove patterns have forfeited. You can tell that it imparts grip when it wears off over time and your wedges start to lose the zip they once had. Same goes for your old Vokeys when their grooves get pounded round and worn away.

Agreed, you don't have to be anal about CoC wedges cause none of us is going to play in the Open or Am qualifiers, but when you shop for a new wedge (post 2010) they'll all be conforming anyway. All your new choices conform. Sure, you could go shop for a 1988 Ping Copper square groove wedge if you wanted, but odds are it's grooves are pounded round too.

This is just not accurate.

Bounce is a word that is thrown around very loosely. Unless you play golf in marsh like conditions or concrete like conditions it doesn't matter. There are very few situation the average golfer gets into that they would need to employ the specific bounce in a wedge. If you striking down and ball first, bounce doesn't come into play enough to make a difference.

The atvs where designed to offer even bounce like effect no matter what face angle you introduce to the ball. Basically no bounce. The modern wedge like J40, MD2 and Nike wedges have variable bounce soles and offer more playability then the Atv.

The micro etching has been proven not add any additional spin. It wears off with in days of using and is a cosmetic look. If you don't believe me, just ask Roger Cleveland. And yes some may have done independent studies to the contrary but if the etching was meant to impart more spin, why not make it permanent

I disagree, it improves backspin. More friction on the surface of a club will impart more backspin. Try one of those diamond faced wedges that are like 80 grit sandpaper and see. Those suckers zip. They also tear covers off of balls.

The reason most manufacturers put it on the etching these days is to compensate for the loss of backspin that the new groove patterns have forfeited. You can tell that it imparts grip when it wears off over time and your wedges start to lose the zip they once had. Same goes for your old Vokeys when their grooves get pounded round and worn away.

Agreed, you don't have to be anal about CoC wedges cause none of us is going to play in the Open or Am qualifiers, but when you shop for a new wedge (post 2010) they'll all be conforming anyway. All your new choices conform. Sure, you could go shop for a 1988 Ping Copper square groove wedge if you wanted, but odds are it's grooves are pounded round too.

I play in the US Senior Open Q

Im sure Im not only guy here playing in such events

i will b in us am and FL next year for 55+

vokeys imo

had to convert to sm4s due to usga groove rules

I don't think there is a right answer but me personally I like to have a low bounce and a high bounce available in my arsenal. So I have a 14* bounce in my 54* Sand Wedge and a Zero bounce in my 60* lob wedge. Now I wouldn't suggest a zero for most people, I like it because where I play at we see alot of hard tight lies by the greens so the zero bounce comes in handy. Likewise I keep my Sand with a high bounce to offset that when I get fluffier lies around the green. I think they make a good combination for me.

I had a 60° with 6° bounce and it was the easiest club to chili dip with that I ever used. Any tight lie and it was about 50-50 that I would lay the sod over the ball. Just one of many reasons why my highest loft now is 56°.

I had a 60° with 6° bounce and it was the easiest club to chili dip with that I ever used. Any tight lie and it was about 50-50 that I would lay the sod over the ball. Just one of many reasons why my highest loft now is 56°.

I had a low bounce lob wedge once. Worst wedge I have ever gamed.

Bounce is a word that is thrown around very loosely. Unless you play golf in marsh like conditions or concrete like conditions it doesn't matter. There are very few situation the average golfer gets into that they would need to employ the specific bounce in a wedge. If you striking down and ball first, bounce doesn't come into play enough to make a difference.

The atvs where designed to offer even bounce like effect no matter what face angle you introduce to the ball. Basically no bounce. The modern wedge like J40, MD2 and Nike wedges have variable bounce soles and offer more playability then the Atv.

The micro etching has been proven not add any additional spin. It wears off with in days of using and is a cosmetic look. If you don't believe me, just ask Roger Cleveland. And yes some may have done independent studies to the contrary but if the etching was meant to impart more spin, why not make it permanent

Thanks Tadashi. Like I said in my first post, I haven't noticed any difference using my current high or low bounce wedge so I guess the answers seems to be somewhere in the middle will be just fine. Really liking the look of the new gold-nickel vokeys.

While most wedges have a specific bounce or sole, the ATV sole on Taylormade wedges essentially have all the bounces. For the price, they might be worth a look.
Agreed, if a wedge can give you multiple bounces at once it serves multiple purposes, very versatile!

My thoughts: no right answer, only right for you. I had low bounce wedges, found I would put the toe in the ground, heel in the ground, dig in, etc... Got high bounce wedges (both 54 and 58) and learned to use the bounce (ala Phil Rodgers, Paul Azinger, etc...) Now, am I the worlds best wedge artist? Nope. Am I much more confident? Absolutely. I feel like having different bounces just confuses things for me. I'd rather vary grinds for what I want to do. For me, I'm comfortable with what I've got.

Back