Have you played in the UK?

Mizuno Blue

Reaction score
Handicap
Bandit
So, how many of you have visited the UK and played golf, where did you play and what did you think?

Nope, I hope to someday, Id like to play in England, Ireland and Scotland

Definitely on the bucket list. Would live to play some courses in Scotland and Ireland.

I have played in England once, at the tail end of a business trip. Played at a course called Cambridge Meridian Golf Club outside of Cambridge city. Really enjoyed it - it wasn't the most well known course, but it's a great heathland layout, and the fairways and greens were exceptional when I was there. Perfect links-y tight lies. I really want to get back over to the UK and play a lot more, specifically on links courses. Getting to County Down and County Antrim in Northern Ireland to golf is definitely on my bucket list.

Don't forget Wales if you ever visit guys!

Celtic Manor, Royal St Georges, St Pierre are all on my list and I'm relatively local!

Don't forget Wales if you ever visit guys!

Celtic Manor, Royal St Georges, St Pierre are all on my list and I'm relatively local!

and Royal Porthcawl, which I played last month in a right hoolie

The 2 best courses I played when I was over there was Sunningdale. I lived just up the road, one of the guys that joined my team at work was an ex green keeper there so took me up a few times for free. What a place, what a course. First round on the old course was an 81 so was well pleased. And Troon. Not Royal Troon, but it didn't matter. A mate of mine took me up there as I had never been north of the border. Troon is the most amazing place I've ever been to. The town is built around golf courses, rather than the other way round. The middle of the town is a golf club house where 3 different municiple courses (and they are far from your typical municiple course) stretch of to different parts of the town, and links heaven awaits. Troon should be on everyone's golfing bucket list!!!!

Probably my home course while back in the UK, Sharpley golf course and its not been open that many years so the best is yet to come, short but tough when the wind blows. Maften Hall, always enjoy a round here when back. Usually do a stay and play, cracking course on either of the 3 nines. Ramside Hall, inbetween the in-laws and my parents so I try and fit it in when I can. Bishop Auckland golf course down the road from the in-laws but I've only played it once, not to bad.
Stokley Pines golf course near Heathrow, made the trip from up north back down south and prior to my flight back home the US I had a round.

All bar the last one are in the Northeast of England, as I only started playing golf while in the US I still have a lot of course near my home City to play and I have some great courses to play and looking forward to it too.

I used to play Stockley Pines when it was Stockley Park (I had no idea it had changed). It used to be a fairly challenging course if fairly open. I remember the greens Being USPGA spec, had no idea what that meant or why that was relevant in England :lol:. However the course started declining dramatically until it got to the point where I needed to be paid to play it. I assume new name means new owners, so hopefully they invested a size able amount to return it to a semi decent course.

I played A LOT of golf in the UK during the 5 years I lived there, England, Ireland and my favourite by far was Scotland. I was lucky enough to play some very exclusive courses.

I have.

St. Andrews (Old Course),
Muirfield (on a Sunday),
Turnberry (Ailsa),
Royal Porthcawl (Wales)
Royal Portrush (N.Ireland)

LOVED them all. Played a couple of others in Ireland, too.

I know Ireland is not UK and I would get shot if I said that but Yes, I golfed at LaHinch, Ireland last September.
It was windy, cold, hard to get warmed up but beautiful in every way possible. People were friendly and helpful on and off the course.

I know Ireland is not UK and I would get shot if I said that but Yes, I golfed at LaHinch, Ireland last September.
It was windy, cold, hard to get warmed up but beautiful in every way possible. People were friendly and helpful on and off the course.

Hmm, I'll let you off, the ROI isn't UK but NI is. Some beautiful courses on both sides of the border. Ballyliffin is on my bucket list for later this year.

Hmm, I'll let you off, the ROI isn't UK but NI is. Some beautiful courses on both sides of the border. Ballyliffin is on my bucket list for later this year.

I did get lost and ended up in NI though. Beautiful on both sides. Hope you make it out there to Ballyliffin!

Probably my home course while back in the UK, Sharpley golf course and its not been open that many years so the best is yet to come, short but tough when the wind blows. Maften Hall, always enjoy a round here when back. Usually do a stay and play, cracking course on either of the 3 nines. Ramside Hall, inbetween the in-laws and my parents so I try and fit it in when I can. Bishop Auckland golf course down the road from the in-laws but I've only played it once, not to bad.
Stokley Pines golf course near Heathrow, made the trip from up north back down south and prior to my flight back home the US I had a round.

All bar the last one are in the Northeast of England, as I only started playing golf while in the US I still have a lot of course near my home City to play and I have some great courses to play and looking forward to it too.

By the end of this year Ramside will have a second 18 holes, they took one of the loops of 9 and have totally redesigned it so Ivan looking forward to it, and possibly as a future venue for one of our UK events

+1 on this comment!

+2. But, we both have access to someone who could get us over there to play. We just need to get the cash, and time, together for it.

Had the pleasure of going over last September. Played the Old Course, Jubliee and Kingsbarns. Anyone that tells you TOC is not all that either had a bad caddie, was hung over, or it rained sideways. It was spectacular. Now, Kingsbarns! I would go back, stay in the town of St Andrews and play Kingsbarns every day. Its that good, in my opinion. And the people in St Andrews made it just a phenomenally great experience all around.

Then we hopped over and played Ballybunion and Adare. Unfortunately it was blowing 50+ and raining sideways for Ballybunion. And I couldn't find anything in my game. Worst 9 holes in 10 years on the front, but hey, it was at Ballybunion. I drilled a driver, on a par 3, that was 198 to the CENTER, and it trickled on the front edge...it was blowing that hard. Adare was extremely nice and a relaxing round for a Sunday morning.

All in all, if you get a chance to go do it. Don't over do it, but push the limits and do as much as you can. Enjoy what is around you too, but for that 4 hours on the links, pay attention.

By the end of this year Ramside will have a second 18 holes, they took one of the loops of 9 and have totally redesigned it so Ivan looking forward to it, and possibly as a future venue for one of our UK events

That is good news, I've seen it being built from a distance but thought it was just 9 to make it a 27, I guess I've been away a bit to long. A new 18 is great news. If I am back in the UK I'll be up for this.

I used to play Stockley Pines when it was Stockley Park (I had no idea it had changed). It used to be a fairly challenging course if fairly open. I remember the greens Being USPGA spec, had no idea what that meant or why that was relevant in England :lol:. However the course started declining dramatically until it got to the point where I needed to be paid to play it. I assume new name means new owners, so hopefully they invested a size able amount to return it to a semi decent course.

I went round on my own until I managed to catch up with the two in front, I joined them and the were two retired lads from armed security at Heathrow. They had been playing the course for years, from when it did a few European events and as you said Mark it went down hill after it was bought by the new owners, who convinced the club that the plans they had in mind would make the place a world beater. I guess they told a little bit of a lie.

The course is not to bad apart from the 10th which is a bit of a walk from the club house (and a bit of a joke to be honest), the only hole on the course that stands out as not part of the course, the new owners basically screwed the course with that new hole. Never knew you could do that!

Would like to play it again if only could meet up with those two lads, I had a cracking day with them.

Last edited:
I have not. But we are hoping to get over to England in September, so if I am ever going to, it will be then.

The best buddies trip of all time. Eight of us visited Scotland and played some of the Open courses. We played St. Andrews Old and New, Carnoustie, Prestwick, Royal Troon Old and Portland, Prestwick and Turnberry. We had a day off scheduled and threw in Gullane for good measure. What a fantastic trip. We had a van and driver, started in Edinburgh and went course to course staying in small inns or Bed and Breakfast type homes. The people were wonderful to us. I will never forget that trip.

No, But the UK is in my top 5 places I would LOVE to visit....So much Respect for it's Golf and Her Military......God bless them all...TRUE friend's America can rely on and they can rely on us.

That is good news, I've seen it being built from a distance but thought it was just 9 to make it a 27, I guess I've been away a bit to long. A new 18 is great news. If I am back in the UK I'll be up for this.

They already had 27 holes, they have taken the last 9, redesigned the layout to incorporate some 'executive' housing and purchased additional land to create the rest of the 18 holes

They are also in the process of building spa facilities for the hotel as well - think they started the work last week as when I went to the range yesterday a large area was all closed off where they have started to dig foundations

In several business trips, I was only able to play once. Played the International course at London Golf Club. The facility was great; the course condition was fantastic. Not a real links-ish course... Actually, it felt very familiar when compared to courses in the US. Still hope to have a 2 week golf trek sometime in my life, in the UK.

So, how many of you have visited the UK and played golf, where did you play and what did you think?

Went to Ireland in 2012. Played Portmarnock, Royal County Down & The European Club.
RCD (http://www.royalcountydown.org/championship-links.aspx) is the most beautiful track of all I've ever had the pleasure to walk. My caddy for the day was the course superintendent. What a treat to get a guided tour of the one of top courses in the world from the man who cares for it.
Portmarnock (http://www.portmarnockgolfclub.ie) is a classic links course. Hosted many Irish Opens.
The European Club (http://www.theeuropeanclub.com) is just a wicked track. It has 20 holes so you get a little bonus play with your round. Features many holes in the world's Top 500. Unlike anywhere else I've played.
All of these courses have really nice video previews at http://www.hiddenlinksgolf.com/golf-ireland.html

Played Scotland last year. Gullane #3, North Berwick West Links, Carnoustie and the Old Course at St Andrews.
Gullane & North Berwick are on the Firth of Forth on either side of Muirfield. Gullane was okay. Their #1 & #2 courses are higher rated so maybe I would have been more impressed had we played those.
North Berwick is a real gem. Holes 13 thru 15 are amongst the most unique I've ever played. 13 has a stone wall the length of the hole along the left side of the fairway. The green is just
over the wall. Crazy approach. Hole 15 is named Redan. No further explanation needed.
Carnoustie is as hard as advertised. We played on a 40 degree day in 40mph winds (gusts to 60). I shot 114 that day and a proud of it.
We had the honor of being the first group off the tee on the Old Course the last day of our trip. We entered our names into a lottery known as The Ballot. The R&A saves about 30 tee times each day for this process in order to allow the public a chance to get on the course. The starter at St Andrews was awesome. Totally relaxed us, took our pictures and told us to be sure to look around and enjoy the course. A great day.
Going to England this year. Playing at Celtic Manor (site of 2010 Ryder Cup). Not sure where else but I'm sure the courses will be great.

Back