Insert Putters - What are your thoughts?

Not sure if it's already been brought up but I can't stand inserts in a putter face. The ball seems to bounce and skip on a normal stroke which usually leaves me about 5 feet past the hole. I like the bare metal, old school putters or like the new Nike Method blade/mallet fusion with a texture like a thumb print but still bare metal. At least that way you get true roll, lag and line. I see more and more companies resorting back to the old school type of putter. I was watching the Accenture Match play today and I couldn't see anyone with an inserted putter, blade or mallet.

If you didn't see any inserts, you weren't paying attention. The Taylormade putters all have inserts and most of the Odysseys do too.

Not sure if it's already been brought up but I can't stand inserts in a putter face. The ball seems to bounce and skip on a normal stroke which usually leaves me about 5 feet past the hole. I like the bare metal, old school putters or like the new Nike Method blade/mallet fusion with a texture like a thumb print but still bare metal. At least that way you get true roll, lag and line. I see more and more companies resorting back to the old school type of putter. I was watching the Accenture Match play today and I couldn't see anyone with an inserted putter, blade or mallet.

Odyssey insert putters are the most used putters on tour, and Odyssey doesn't even have sponsorship deals with most of the guys that use them

I don't mind inserts in putters at all. I think the inserts can be used to produce a desired feel without compromising the balance of a putter. I prefer the nice clean look of a milled putter, but that's just an appearance thing. If the putter performs for me I would have no problems using an insert putter.

My recent purchase has made me fall in love with the TR insert from Ping

I think sound and feel become very muddled together with talk of insert v no insert. Everyone's preference is different, I'm not against either but lean toward no insert. Again just a judgement based on how I correlate feel and sound which to me are one component as a whole. My brain hears a pleasing sound and I think it feels good. Same with and iron or driver you learn that sound of success and when you nail it you just know.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I looked up the players in the Jones and Player brackets to see what putters everyone was using because I was curious to see how many of the players are actually using insert putters. I was going to do all 64 players, but to be honest I got bored and saw the pattern that I was expecting. What really surprised me was that there are a few Titleist staffers who are playing Odyssey putters with inserts.

From the 32 players in those brackets, and with the newest information I could find, the split is 50/50 exactly between insert and non-inserts with them. 12 Odyssey putters, 10 of which have inserts. 9 are Scotty Camerons. 3 Taylormades, 3 Pings, 2 Nikes, a Yes, a Betti and a Piretti.

I've only used an insert as I've never changed my putter from day 1. I did have to use an Odyssey Protype Tour #2 in a putting competition and admit to liking it, but, I didn't see enough of a difference or feel to spend over £200 on it.

Odyssey insert putters are the most used putters on tour, and Odyssey doesn't even have sponsorship deals with most of the guys that use them

They DOMINATE the tour. Its not even close.

And they don't have a winners pool like some other certain named brands.

They DOMINATE the tour. Its not even close.

And they don't have a winners pool like some other certain named brands.

Is the insert used on tour different than the retail versions?

Not that I'm aware of, but there are some out there using the older versions as well as the newer ones. I'm sure JB would know more about the mix and ratio.

I am a little shocked at how few CS options are available in the market place.

I am a little shocked at how few CS options are available in the market place.

Carbon steel or center shaft?

I would imagine that market demand for center shafted putters is low.

Carbon steel or center shaft?

I would imagine that market demand for center shafted putters is low.

Center shaft. Curious as to why the demand is low. Maybe it is for another thread but I am curious as to why that is.

Center shaft. Curious as to why the demand is low. Maybe it is for another thread but I am curious as to why that is.

Honestly IMO a lot of it is so many have plumbers neck and double bend pounded into their brain from TV that when they see a center shaft they think "weird" and then think no more of it. Its foreign to a lot of people.

Honestly IMO a lot of it is so many have plumbers neck and double bend pounded into their brain from TV that when they see a center shaft they think "weird" and then think no more of it. Its foreign to a lot of people.

Maybe I have been brainwashed, but I have come to believe that certain putting methods make a lot of sense. I have really enjoyed center shafted putters but looking back it took way to long to give them a try. I would love to try out some different inserts, just wish CS models were not as difficult to find.

If you think people consider center shafted putters "weird", you should play a casual round with the average golfer and pull out a Whistle Shaft/Center Shaft putter.

If you think people consider center shafted putters "weird", you should play a casual round with the average golfer and pull out a Whistle Shaft/Center Shaft putter.

Been there, done that. :alien: (To be fair, around here where I play if it isn't a Scotty you're considered weird).

Erik, I'm right there with you, 100%,

As for the topic at hand, that very thing is my hang up on the WHP insert, I'm enjoying it a lot but I'm not fond of the center shafted offerings. Though I do enjoy a flow neck and roll it well, CS is comfortable with me. Will be tinkering with the Metal-X #6 Center Shaft soon though, that one def fits the eye and we will see if that insert is still the tweener that I enjoyed so much when I reviewed it.

I think it depends on why a player is aiming to play a center-shafted putter. I think there are a lot of options out there for someone looking for a putter to match a face-balanced stroke, and it just seems like people gravitate to one of the other options, like a #7 or 2-Ball.

Jman, I agree that the lack of CS for the WHP is a bummer. I think rolling the #2 CS is what really got me interested in center-shafted putters. Just such a clean, simple design, straightforward alignment. Not sure that's the putter for me, but I wouldn't mind having one for awhile to find out.

I think it depends on why a player is aiming to play a center-shafted putter. I think there are a lot of options out there for someone looking for a putter to match a face-balanced stroke, and it just seems like people gravitate to one of the other options, like a #7 or 2-Ball.

Jman, I agree that the lack of CS for the WHP is a bummer. I think rolling the #2 CS is what really got me interested in center-shafted putters. Just such a clean, simple design, straightforward alignment. Not sure that's the putter for me, but I wouldn't mind having one for awhile to find out.

I think the way putters are marketed is part of the issue, but again that is likely for another thread. I feel like the terms face balanced and tow hang etc. do not help average golfers.

Not that I'm aware of, but there are some out there using the older versions as well as the newer ones. I'm sure JB would know more about the mix and ratio.

The most used insert on Tour was (last year around this time) still the original White Hot. The White Hot Pro was basically a move back to that insert with improvements to consistency in feel across the face.

Some interesting conversation about this when we were at Callaway in December. They do a lot of their proto insert testing in Japan and apparently you can blindfold those guys and they'll pick a White Hot out almost every time.

The most used insert on Tour was (last year around this time) still the original White Hot. The White Hot Pro was basically a move back to that insert with improvements to consistency in feel across the face.

Some interesting conversation about this when we were at Callaway in December. They do a lot of their proto insert testing in Japan and apparently you can blindfold those guys and they'll pick a White Hot out almost every time.

That is freaking incredible to me.

I know I was glad to see them go back to the White Hot "style" with the WHP and none of the extras that some of the inserts had there for a while. Funny thing is if they were to re-release the exact WH insert it would sell like crazy, those things are hard to find in good shape as they're mostly still in peoples bags.

i know we were talking inserts a pace the other day.

have any of you guys seen STX putters how do they
change pace with insert material with the same putter i know its not much

ProFIT Series putters are equipped with interchangeable weights and inserts for the ultimate in customization to adapt to all playing conditions. Black inserts allow the ball to start to roll 25% sooner. The red insert adds 3" of distance and the green insert adds 6" of distance compared to the black insert on a 15' put

i know we were talking inserts a pace the other day.

have any of you guys seen STX putters how do they
change pace with insert material with the same putter i know its not much

ProFIT Series putters are equipped with interchangeable weights and inserts for the ultimate in customization to adapt to all playing conditions. Black inserts allow the ball to start to roll 25% sooner. The red insert adds 3" of distance and the green insert adds 6" of distance compared to the black insert on a 15' put

Now that would completely screw me up.

Does it make any sense that I was having distance control issues with the White Hot Pro? Felt fantastic. Loved the feel. I just couldn't/can't gauge speed with it.

The non-insert Anser II was pretty good. Felt much firmer, but I was able to feel distances better.

Back