Slow Play is my nemesis

Slow play is BRUTAL for me. I'm a pretty fast player...I get up and swing and it's on to the next shot. I hate sitting around waiting on the course or anywhere really. I get very bored very quickly. I end up on the ground stretching a lot. Although now that I've got this smartphone thing....I may have a bit more patience when it comes to that. But in all reality, I can't stand it. In the summer, we usually get off before 6:30am at my home course.

In terms of what causes it, I think a lot of it comes from players that don't know the rules...and then players that think that making 5 cirlces around their putt and 6 practice strokes will somehow make them better.

Folks that don't see slow play as an issue play slow themselves. I don't advocate not enjoying yourself, EVERYONE should. Slow players tend to be in the selfish side and take the stance I paid so I'm going to do what I want.

And it's not the better players that are causing the issues for the most part. It's the average everyday duffers that go to each other's shots instead of dropping off and moving to their shot. It's the lack of skill and playing the wrong tees which frustrates me to no end.

Now if I know it may be slow I prepare for it and just enjoy the 5 hiur kid free time. But if the groups in front of me are holes behind it bugs me. I have played behind slow groups that allow is to play through and they will end up 4 or 5 holes back. I think to myself, thank god we played through. Then thy come in complaining. These folks kill me.

It's not hard to play ready golf, talk and enjoy yourself. I think courses need to do a better job of policing this or groups need to move aside. The rude side of me would like slow players to not be allowed prime tee times. I know that is not a solution that will ever happen and is harsh but come on man! Enough already.

How could you enforce the bolded? The course wouldn't know who is slow and who isn't. Up here the weekend is the slowest time of the week because of the weekend warriors who only golf once or twice a month.

What do you guy's feel is the best way to teach someone how not to play slow and be part of the problem?

How could you enforce the bolded? The course wouldn't know who is slow and who isn't. Up here the weekend is the slowest time of the week because of the weekend warriors who only golf once or twice a month.

What do you guy's feel is the best way to teach someone how not to play slow and be part of the problem?

Forehead tattoos.

where there's a will...

I hear ya but honestly how do you teach someone who is a 23 handicap and learning the game not to play slow and how do you get though the ego's some low handicapper's have and they don't have to eye up a putt like Tiger and walk off a 35 yard pitch shot.

"Dude. You are slooooooooooooooooow."

I know it's not always that easy, but if it's a relationship that is open to a little friendly smack talk it's easier.

I hear ya but honestly how do you teach someone who is a 23 handicap and learning the game not to play slow and how do you get though the ego's some low handicapper's have and they don't have to eye up a putt like Tiger and walk off a 35 yard pitch shot.

You can't. That is the difficulty. The only real way, the PGA gets serious about. Warning on the first tee to keep up to the group ahead. after that, stroke penalty no warning.

I know it's not always that easy, but if it's a relationship that is open to a little friendly smack talk it's easier.

Unless you're playing in the first Morgan Cup. Then you can't say that because it's mean.

See that only tells them they are slow and doesn't teach them how not to be slow.

You can't. That is the difficulty. The only real way, the PGA gets serious about. Warning on the first tee to keep up to the group ahead. after that, stroke penalty no warning.

So your going with monkey see, monkey do?

Each starter has the time each group teed off. The time they turn should be noted as well as the time they finished. The shop could them make note of it and flag the group. I used to do just this when I was the starter on sat and sun. We never had an issue and if we did the marshals did their job.

It's also the responsibility of those complaining to call the shop if the groups are playing slow in front of them. As for teaching lessons, I would give one warning then next would be loss of hole, three times you gotta go. Now that is extreme and most wouldn't enforce but is rather piss off one group then the rest of the course or side thy are on.

So your going with monkey see, monkey do?

Yup. I feel like most of the slow play is because tour players are slow as hell.

Since amateurs always seem to get punished because of how Pros play, it would be nice for them to suffer a touch to.

Each starter has the time each group teed off. The time they turn should be noted as well as the time they finished. The shop could them make note of it and flag the group. I used to do just this when I was the starter on sat and sun. We never had an issue and if we did the marshals did their job.

It's also the responsibility of those complaining to call the shop if the groups are playing slow in front of them. As for teaching lessons, I would give one warning then next would be loss of hole, three times you gotta go. Now that is extreme and most wouldn't enforce but is rather piss off one group then the rest of the course or side thy are on.

What if the course doesn't have a starter?

To what extent do you think people playing from the inappropriate set of tees contributes to slow play. I've seen guys playing from the tips that couldn't break 90 from the senior tees. Over the years, the tees have been categorized as tournament, men's regular, men's senior and ladies. When in reality the tees should be categorized based on handicap and playing ability. You will rarely see a young player on the senior tees or any guy playing from the perceived ladies tees (not many guys want that potential for abuse).

What if the course doesn't have a starter?

Then I'm not playing...I kid..sort of!

Then the guy in the shop can take note. We can do what if all day. I'm giving a solution for the types of courses I play. I don't know what goes on in Sheboygan at the local muni but in fla this time a year it's an issue :D

I hate playing long rounds. It shouldn't take more than 4 hours to play a round of golf. Even then I think 4 hours is a long time. But the longer rounds can definitely wear on you and affect scores.

The course I live on, I hate to talk bad about them, but the one issue they do have is slow play by the afternoon leagues. It's a problem if you want to try and get in 9 teeing off around 6pm. On more than one occasion I complained about it, and basically what I was told is they need those leagues and don't want to piss them off by pushing on them too hard. I get it, they need to fill tee times and make money, but that was a bummer.

Lets say I'm slow. I like to play all over how is flagging my group for slow play help at another course. The second part is a punishment for slow play I'm asking how do you teach someone how not to be slow. I find most slow players are oblivious to the fact they are slow. How do you teach them to keep or better the pace? Many golfers don't get lessons on the fundamentals of the swing much less accept training and direction on slow play.

To what extent do you think people playing from the inappropriate set of tees contributes to slow play. I've seen guys playing from the tips that couldn't break 90 from the senior tees. Over the years, the tees have been categorized as tournament, men's regular, men's senior and ladies. When in reality the tees should be categorized based on handicap and playing ability. You will rarely see a young player on the senior tees or any guy playing from the perceived ladies tees (not many guys want that potential for abuse).

One of the courses we played in the Pinehurst area had a rule in place that I understood to mean that you had to have a single-digit handicap in order to play those tees. The white tees were plenty tough enough for our group, but that was the first I had heard of something like that. You are right though, tee boxes are far too associated with age and gender. I'll pick my tee box based on yardage.

I hate playing long rounds. It shouldn't take more than 4 hours to play a round of golf. Even then I think 4 hours is a long time. But the longer rounds can definitely wear on you and affect scores.

I would love to get in 18 under 4 hours. I don't think I've ever done that that I can recall.

Then I'm not playing...I kid..sort of!

Then the guy in the shop can take note. We can do what if all day. I'm giving a solution for the types of courses I play. I don't know what goes on in Sheboygan at the local muni but in fla this time a year it's an issue :D

I think your solution only works at one course with the same golfers day in day out.

I would love to get in 18 under 4 hours. I don't think I've ever done that that I can recall.

It's all about who you play with. My normal group of guys I play with, we play ready golf. It doesn't matter who is out or anything, if you are ready, go. Makes things much quicker and a lot more fun.

Now when I play in league its a whole different story. 3 hours for 9 holes is normal and it drives me absolutely crazy. But most of the guys are cool its just the few that think drinking and goofing off are more fun than playing golf.

I think your solution only works at one course with the same golfers day in day out.

Golfers are creatures of habit and tend to stay put. I be worked at enough courses to know this. The weekend warriors that come once a month tend to frequent the best deal. But most golfer have a rotation of course that they play. And it would be easy to track. Hell I may offer a service to police slow play

This has been a problem for years and will continue to be a problem.
As for how to get beginner's to speed up, put a max score for them on each hole.

The PGA needs to grow a set and start enforcing slow play, they should lead by example!!!!

Back